Philippine Domestic Airline Tickets

earthdome
Posted
Posted

In my research I found that a round trip ticket with the ability to change your return date at no charge cost a great deal more than a fixed date round trip ticket. I could find fixed date round trip tickets for around $1000 - $1200 USD but one with flexible dates cost $1600-$2000. I found one way tickets for as low as $660 USD but ended up due to my travel date window around the holidays having to pay around $850 USD for a one way ticket.

I also found I can better find the ticket I need often at a lower price by going directly to the airline website rather than using some online discount ticket search engine like Hotwire or Orbitz.

• Like 2

Bruce
Posted
Posted

In my research I found that a round trip ticket with the ability to change your return date at no charge cost a great deal more than a fixed date round trip ticket. I could find fixed date round trip tickets for around $1000 - $1200 USD but one with flexible dates cost $1600-$2000. I found one way tickets for as low as $660 USD but ended up due to my travel date window around the holidays having to pay around $850 USD for a one way ticket.

I also found I can better find the ticket I need often at a lower price by going directly to the airline website rather than using some online discount ticket search engine like Hotwire or Orbitz.

Well you have a option there that I can't use. I go to Samar. So PAL which arrives at about 6-7am worked well ( until they moved my flight to Tacloban to the 3rd terminal!!!!) as I cleared customes and wen to the domestic terminal to wait for the flight to Tacloban in 2 hrs or so.

If, I was staying in Manila or Cebu, then I would fly there directly and I did not care what time I arrived as I am only a cab ride away from the hotel or condo. Which is great for you guys staying in Manila or Cebu. But for me to arrive at 1am via a different carrier than PAL and then have to sleep in the airport or take a cab to the hotel for the rest of the night and then come back to the airport for my connectiing flight, is not something I want to do. Also, if I take possess ion of my 100 pounds of crap, then have to check in at the domestic with that 100 pounds of crap I would pay a huge duty on the excess weight. But since (so far) I have the bags checked by the original flight AA, in Florida to my final desitnation in Tacloban, PAL simply takes the bags in LA and puts them on their flight and no extra money.

So for me PAL is a better way than Korean Air or another carrier. Also, it is the shortest flight for me with no planes to change once I reach LA to the PAL flight. 5 hrs to LA 3 hr layover, then 17 hr flight to Manila. On other carriers it is change planes in the US and then in Seoul or Tokyo or other place and multiple layovers and plane changes. Some times it is 4 flights and 40 hrs total time from start to finish... but at a cheaper rate. Well, I am over 50 and not some kid back packing around Europe for the summer looking for the cheapest deal I can get. Cheaper is not always a good option for me.

For you guys like Tom / Bundy et al from Down Under, who are based in Cebu, once you get on the flight to Cebu it is similar time zone or close to your normal time and you just cruise the time away. But I travel 1/2 way around the planet and will be 12 hours ahead.

It is just a shame that 'common sense' is not used in the air lines pricing schedule as if they were more realistic and user friendly, I am positive that there would be more travelers. Stop thinking about round trips and concentrate on filling up each flight. Once you get a tourist 'there' they have to come home! There are only a few options in getting home so even if some one switched a carrier, there are passengers on their carrier who would switch over to your carrier anyway.

• Like 2

JJReyes
Posted
Posted

Airlines lowered their costs of doing business by eliminating travel agents who were paid a 10% commission. They are trying to do the same with the discount ticket websites by offering the same or lower prices on their websites. Southwest Airlines is a good example. They refuse to give commissions, so this airline is not included in discount ticket websites.  

• Like 1

Bruce
Posted
Posted

Airlines lowered their costs of doing business by eliminating travel agents who were paid a 10% commission. They are trying to do the same with the discount ticket websites by offering the same or lower prices on their websites. Southwest Airlines is a good example. They refuse to give commissions, so this airline is not included in discount ticket websites.  

With the internet today that makes sense. But we... yes we, the flying public need to get them to restructure their pricing differences for RT and one way and open tickets. Even with the open ticket... since it is still subject to reservations or standby on a per flight basis there should be no price hike. Should be same as a RT ticket and good for 4 months or 6 months out when the airline may have to adjust prices based on fuel costs or other variable. The easier they make it to fly, the more people fly.  

Like Charles Schwab who single handedly changed the entire stock market brokerage houses and like USAIR who started the low price flying revolution, once a carrier starts with a uniform pricing plan the others will follow.  

• Like 1

sjp52
Posted
Posted

When buying a return ticket check with the airline. Quite a few will allow you to change your return date for a fee ( most charge around $100 to $200 ). I think there is 1 or 2 that let you change for free. Just what I have read from other travellers

• Like 2

Bruce
Posted
Posted

And the war for customer loyalty heats up on the Asian Routes!  Read to the bottom. Jake...Jake... JAKE!!!! read the w-o-r-d-s-! BELOW the picture!

article-2277854-178A9F85000005DC-811_636

On the wrong runway... Thai government hits out at budget airline after it releases racy calendar featuring bikini-clad models

By Leon Watson

PUBLISHED:21:27 EST, 12 February 2013| UPDATED: 22:10 EST, 12 February 2013

A budget airline has been censured by the Thai government after it released a racy calendar featuring models from a magazine.

Low-cost carrier Nok Air's calendar features models in different outfits posing around Nok Air planes, including a shot with 12 women in yellow bikinis -- the airline's signature colour.

But according to Thai media, the Ministry of Culture says the calendar demonstrates that some businesses refuse to stop using women's bodies as a marketing tool.

A page from the Nok Air 2013 calendar featuring a model from Maxim magazine

Permanent secretary, Prisana Pongtatpitakkul was quoted by The Nation saying: 'They lack the sense of social and cultural responsibility and ignore social and cultural repercussions - particularly female dignity.'

Nok Air has however defended the calendar, which features models from Maxim magazine, saying it has not 'crossed the line'.

'The airline business has always been seen as sexy,' Nok Air chief executive Patee Sarasin was quoted byCNN.

'The airline business has always been seen as sexy globally, that is why our planes - we believe they are well designed - appropriately become the background of these models.

The Thai Ministry of Culture says the calendar demonstrates that some businesses refuse to stop using women's bodies as a marketing tool

Flying high: Budget airline Nok Air is known for his unconventional marketing tactics

'Most customers love the calendar and definitely want to own one,' he said. 'As of today, the calendar is becoming a hard-to-find commodity, and the requests for copies keep coming from all walks of life.

'The idea of keeping our attendants young is because we believe young girls, being new at their profession, would be more passionate in serving our customers because their focus is more on their career.

'We also aim to keep the airline young to meet our brand positioning.'

'We believe that the pictures posted are not ugly,' he said. '[This calendar provides an] opportunity for these girls to be exposed in a professional way with a leading company and not always limited to being just a sex symbol.'

The Culture Ministry did however admit the calendar isn't breaking any laws, therefore no action will be taken against Nok Air.

Thai Airways has a 49 per cent stake in the airline, which is a joint venture between public and private investors. Thailand's Ministry of Finance owns 51 per cent of Thai Airways, the country's flagship carrier. 

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2277854/Thai-government-hits-budget-airline-releases-racy-calendar-featuring-models-draped-planes.html#ixzz2KkJ36hDk
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

• Like 2

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

But since I was on a plane that actually flew OVER the Tacloban airport and then back to Cebu..... With no consideration for any passenger disruption or costs for hotels and related things, I think I will remember that for a very long time when asked about Cebu pacific.

So I guess they were just out for a joy flight?  Come on, surely they had to divert for a reason? Would you prefer a crash landing?

• Like 1

Bruce
Posted
Posted

But since I was on a plane that actually flew OVER the Tacloban airport and then back to Cebu..... With no consideration for any passenger disruption or costs for hotels and related things, I think I will remember that for a very long time when asked about Cebu pacific.

So I guess they were just out for a joy flight?  Come on, surely they had to divert for a reason? Would you prefer a crash landing?

As I remember it, there was a storm coming... average storm and it was not 'there' yet. I believe that the pilot simply did not want to take a chance that 'he' would have to spend the night in Tacloban so rather than land, as we flew OVER the tacloban air port, he turned around and flew back to Cebu. So not only were all of us on the plane caused a problem, so were all the people on the ground waiting for the plane to land so they could have flow to Cebu.

If there were regulations in effect that forced the air line to pay for a hotel for all and meals for all, then the air line would have forced the pilot to actualy fly the damn plane and do his job! This IS the Philippines and rain / storms are a very very frequent occurance.....  

Look at it like this... If there was an average snow storm in Australia, you may expect a lot of people to stay home and a lot of news coverage because it is not something that is normal. But say if there was an average snow storm in Sweden and all of the people refused to drive in the snow..... all the pilots refused to fly their planes in and out of the airport, then nothing gets done! People in Sweden et al are used to driving in the snow to work and the pilots are used to flying in and out of snow at the air ports.  

The flying world does not stop because of the 'potential' of some rain in the Philippines. And as we flew over the airport... it was not yet storming! Certainly no Force 1 +++ storm.

Thomas
Posted
Posted

We have a translation issue OR you are preoccupied with Swedish blonde  girls with large bresticles who think you are tall and handsome (we all know that Homer's boss Mr. Burns is based on you)......

--

Now, go back to teasing us loosers on how you are in the land of blue eyes and blonde girls.... Of course... I actually prefer Balck hair and dark eyes as found in Asians and their sub set species. But I certainly would not kick a blonde out of bed for eating crackers......

What are you talking about?? I think you do a very good job with your aid, I even made some "lobbying" so you got at least one pay from here.

(Btw - I'm tall compared to Filipins, but compared to Swedes I'm only average  :)

I want to buy AT THE SAME COST either a 1 way ticket or an open ended ticket so I can decide to extend my stay as my finances may permit.   That is my goal. To travel without an return date but at the same total cost of buying a RT ticket with the return dte already set.

That's a good goal,

but some funny you have as goal to change the mind of BIG flight companies,

and also made comment against my goal to find and make A FEW Filipins to think good ahead...  :)

Bruce
Posted
Posted (edited)

We have a translation issue OR you are preoccupied with Swedish blonde  girls with large bresticles who think you are tall and handsome (we all know that Homer's boss Mr. Burns is based on you)......

--

Now, go back to teasing us loosers on how you are in the land of blue eyes and blonde girls.... Of course... I actually prefer Balck hair and dark eyes as found in Asians and their sub set species. But I certainly would not kick a blonde out of bed for eating crackers......

What are you talking about?? I think you do a very good job with your aid, I even made some "lobbying" so you got at least one pay from here.

(Btw - I'm tall compared to Filipins, but compared to Swedes I'm only average   :)

>>I want to buy AT THE SAME COST either a 1 way ticket or an open ended ticket so I can decide to extend my stay as my finances may permit.   That is my goal. To travel without an return date but at the same total cost of buying a RT ticket with the return dte already set.

That's a good goal,

but some funny you have as goal to change the mind of BIG flight companies,

and also made comment against my goal to find and make A FEW Filipins to think good ahead...   :)

Ah... less chatter and more about the blonde women with big bresticles please! :thumbsup: Thomas! Send pics of the snow bunnies!

It is interesting that what 'we' as outsiders, often business men with education and experience in a wide range of areas see and could improve, but are met with basic indifference from local management. No one willing to take responsibility for change.

If I could sum it up into 1 very common business mistake that is perhaps the most common and wide spread in many different business areas, is the following....

Do NOT mistake 'cash flow' for 'profit'. They are not the same and many business people who thought they were doing well because the see cash coming in often end up out of business and wondering WHY!

If the Pinoy airlines would hire outside consultants to show how to fill more seats and then add more flights, the enitre country would benifit.   

Edited by Bruce