Philippine Domestic Airline Tickets

Thomas
Posted
Posted

Ah... less chatter and more about the blonde women with big bresticles please!  Thomas! Send pics of the snow bunnies!

Well. I concentrate on the Philippines, because I plan to move and marry there :)

It is interesting that what 'we' as outsiders, often business men with education and experience in a wide range of areas see and could improve, but are met with basic indifference from local management. No one willing to take responsibility for change.

I DON'T expect managing to change POLITICIANS ANYWHERE in the world  :)    Instead I usualy concentrate on a smaller part as e g a company or a club, or it can be as you an aid. 

After I have moved I aim at starting a business and find enough people, which can be made doing things good enough. If it will be a refining business of products they do anyway, then the locals will get some improvement WITHOUT they need to change  :)    so I need to just concentrate at make the employed thinking and acting good. (First concentrating on relatives plus a few more, but if the business will give enough result to exband, then I plan to add so they will get more jobs.) 

If I could sum it up into 1 very common business mistake that is perhaps the most common and wide spread in many different business areas, is the following....   Do NOT mistake 'cash flow' for 'profit'. They are not the same and many business people who thought they were doing well because the see cash coming in often end up out of business and wondering WHY!

Yes, among Pinoys I suppose that and copying business and put it to close to get enough customers, are the most common problems beside many of them start business with borrowed money with crazy high interests.

(E g I know a Filipina, who borrowed much to start a middle size shop. She succeeded geting many customers, but the huge loan costs made it impossible.)

Many of the Pinoy business owners don't have big part of necesary even simple basic business knowledge. That's why an other alternative I think of is starting such education. Perhaps  I will work as or together with some Help-to-selfhelp organisations, or I will level up the education one step compared with what they normaly have.

If the Pinoy airlines would hire outside consultants to show how to fill more seats and then add more flights, the enitre country would benifit.

I don't know much more about Pinoy airlines than they don't fullfill the minimum security demands Europe have, so I prefer travel by land/sea   :)  when that's realistic.

(Just guessing: Perhaps it have some importance the Philippines are spread islands, which make their internal flights be comparable with our trains and long distance buses. Perhaps this make they think some different than "normal" airlines.) I have been consultant for some other types of businesses, but I DON'T believe I will become consultant dor Pinoy airlines  :)    

I suppouse I will be occupied with trying to do some development in some small village anyway  :)

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

The flying world does not stop because of the 'potential' of some rain in the Philippines. And as we flew over the airport... it was not yet storming! Certainly no Force 1 +++ storm.

How do you know that the wind sheer was not to high or really do you know why they did not land? Surely someone said something? I have heard of the runway lights having problems at that airport, or I think it was that one.Perhaps a plane had broken down on the runway or something but I doubt if they would just decide to go back for nothing.

Bruce
Posted
Posted (edited)

The flying world does not stop because of the 'potential' of some rain in the Philippines. And as we flew over the airport... it was not yet storming! Certainly no Force 1 +++ storm.

How do you know that the wind sheer was not to high or really do you know why they did not land? Surely someone said something? I have heard of the runway lights having problems at that airport, or I think it was that one.Perhaps a plane had broken down on the runway or something but I doubt if they would just decide to go back for nothing.

Well, we all see the world through our own eyes. I have a 'can do' attitude and (falsely) assume that others do to. From what I saw, any student pilot could have landed that plane at that time.  But again, this was a turbo prop and not a jet.... different types of pilots? Less weather concerns for jets....... But also what concerned me was the actions of that 1 pilot and his refusal to land affected hundreds between us on the plane, those on the ground waiting to get on that plane to go to Cebu and there was no concerns by Cebu Pacific at all.

Edited by Bruce

Jake
Posted
Posted

Well, we all see the world through out own eyes. I have a 'can do' attitude and (falsely) assume that others do to. From what I saw, any student pilot could have landed that plane at that time.  But again, this was a turbo prop and not a jet.... different types of pilots? Less weather concerns for jets....... But also what concerned me was the actions of that 1 pilot and his refusal to land affected hundreds between us on the plane, those on the ground waiting to get on that plane to go to Cebu and there was no concerns by Cebu Pacific at all.

He was saving face because on his final approach, he forgot to put his wheels down.....he, he.

i am bob
Posted
Posted

Well, we all see the world through out own eyes. I have a 'can do' attitude and (falsely) assume that others do to. From what I saw, any student pilot could have landed that plane at that time.  But again, this was a turbo prop and not a jet.... different types of pilots? Less weather concerns for jets....... But also what concerned me was the actions of that 1 pilot and his refusal to land affected hundreds between us on the plane, those on the ground waiting to get on that plane to go to Cebu and there was no concerns by Cebu Pacific at all.

If ground conditions were such that trying to land the plane was that dangerous, the pilot was right to turn around.  He may have just saved your life!

Having worked around aircraft for quite a number of years, I know that there are a lot of things that you can't see that can kill  you just as easily as running into a brick wall.  Wind shear is one.  I don't know the airport but if there is just one runway and the winds are very high across the runway, odds are (especially in a turbo-prop) that you aren't going to stay on the runway for long.  Some airports, when the wind comes from a certain direction can not allow aircraft to land - because it really isn't safe to do so.  Remember - you are suppose to land relatively head on to the wind.  Perhaps another aircraft who landed or taxied dropped a bunch of fuel or hydraulic fluid which could make the runway a little dangerous as well - thus no landing.  Some turbo-props are notorious for having no forward visibility on landing and take-off just because of the design of the aircraft...  If the Nav Aids had gone down, the pilot would be trying to land blind - that's kind of a no-no for passenger runs, wouldn't you think? And, if another aircraft had declared a PAN (Panic situation - needs to land immediately due to emergency), that runway is now shut down for general traffic until the event is over.  If the aircraft is expected to crash land, all other traffic is diverted.  It's kind of hard to land when there are bits and pieces and possibly bodies and fire engines all over the runway.  I can keep going on the list for another hour or two but I think I made my point.  

• Like 1

Bruce
Posted
Posted

If ground conditions were such that trying to land the plane was that dangerous, the pilot was right to turn around.  He may have just saved your life!

Having worked around aircraft for quite a number of years, I know that there are a lot of things that you can't see that can kill  you just as easily as running into a brick wall.  Wind shear is one.  I don't know the airport but if there is just one runway and the winds are very high across the runway, odds are (especially in a turbo-prop) that you aren't going to stay on the runway for long.  Some airports, when the wind comes from a certain direction can not allow aircraft to land - because it really isn't safe to do so.  Remember - you are suppose to land relatively head on to the wind.  Perhaps another aircraft who landed or taxied dropped a bunch of fuel or hydraulic fluid which could make the runway a little dangerous as well - thus no landing.  Some turbo-props are notorious for having no forward visibility on landing and take-off just because of the design of the aircraft...  If the Nav Aids had gone down, the pilot would be trying to land blind - that's kind of a no-no for passenger runs, wouldn't you think? And, if another aircraft had declared a PAN (Panic situation - needs to land immediately due to emergency), that runway is now shut down for general traffic until the event is over.  If the aircraft is expected to crash land, all other traffic is diverted.  It's kind of hard to land when there are bits and pieces and possibly bodies and fire engines all over the runway.  I can keep going on the list for another hour or two but I think I made my point.  

Simple little 1 strip place. Maybe less than 10 flights in / out a day.

While I agree with your list of things to go wrong.... as a Kano..... my first thought is that the pilot should go sell shoes at the mall and make room for a pilot with some back bone. Flying Is Dangerous. Sure, but then NOTHING gets done when you focus too much on things that 'may' go wrong instead of things that need to get done.   

• Like 1

i am bob
Posted
Posted

You're missing the point, Bruce.  If any of these situations or others were present and the pilot tried to land, he would be in extreme jeopardy of losing his licence - regardless if anything happened or not!  I wouldn't lose my licence for anyone - it's hard to find a job that pays that well in the Philippines!

MikeB
Posted
Posted

Very possible airport ground control made the decision, not the airline or pilot.

• Like 2

Bruce
Posted
Posted

Well I will just chalk it up to cowardice... er... ah... bad weather?? :cheersty:

But after that flight fly over the airpost and turn around stunt, Cebu Pacific lost my business and many thousands of my pesos!

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

Well I will just chalk it up to cowardice... er... ah... bad weather?? :cheersty:

But after that flight fly over the airpost and turn around stunt, Cebu Pacific lost my business and many thousands of my pesos!

You still did not answer my question. Did they announce a reason for turning back?  Not sure if safety comes under nothing gets done if you focus on things that could go wrong. Anyway if you crashed landed but survived with one leg and 70% burns the story would have been. Stupid pilot for landing. I can see why I could never work in the customer complaints department but at least you are here today to complain about what was done.

• Like 1