Philippine Domestic Airline Tickets

i am bob
Posted
Posted

I can't complain...  Got me a medical pension so I could retire a few years early.  And the only problem I have now is the shaking hand when I stress it.  The short term memory problem I have beaten and I have learned to compensate for the loss of balance.

Now if I could only stop hallucinating about this wonderful land called the Philippines, the most wonderful and beautiful woman in the world who lives there and some guy named Bruce who wants to beat up airline pilots....   :mocking:

londonirish53
Posted
Posted

Hi  Bruce, As I'm still green about the gills and didn't want to stray from regulations set down I phoned the High Commission in London to find out my requirements  The Governer General told me herself what is your purpose for Visa I stated retirement she said you must have a return ticket so I thought I don't want to waste a Cebu/London flight so I said can I get a Cebu/Kuala Lumpar as the return she said yes but if it's your 1st time to the PI you can only get a( single Visa) then go to Kuala Lumpar from PI then go to Embassy there to get a multi visa in my passport that she said is allowed,however I was informed that you always had to have an outbound flight in your possession. Is this the way of the land ? on another forum I read that an Ex Pat

always gets through with only a single ticket in his possession or is that BS ?? But will take note of the single  ticket pricing malarky, as recently shown on BBC TV    the same thing applies to rail fares in the UK which a lot of the general public were very ignorant off, just goes to show that you learn something everyday if you are aware !         Bruce is the Bar still open in Ft Lauderdale I remember outside wooden seats circular bar, used to have the biggest Black Policeman come to make sure it was closing on time he must have been 23 st this was back in the 80s , and the Blue Parrot got hammered in them both I beleive, but not a nuisance, not with walking mountain guy saying drink up, Ahh Happy Days... :cheersty:  :bash:

• Like 1

Bruce
Posted
Posted

Hi  Bruce, As I'm still green about the gills and didn't want to stray from regulations set down I phoned the High Commission in London to find out my requirements  The Governer General told me herself what is your purpose for Visa I stated retirement she said you must have a return ticket so I thought I don't want to waste a Cebu/London flight so I said can I get a Cebu/Kuala Lumpar as the return she said yes but if it's your 1st time to the PI you can only get a( single Visa) then go to Kuala Lumpar from PI then go to Embassy there to get a multi visa in my passport that she said is allowed,however I was informed that you always had to have an outbound flight in your possession. Is this the way of the land ? on another forum I read that an Ex Pat

always gets through with only a single ticket in his possession or is that BS ?? But will take note of the single  ticket pricing malarky, as recently shown on BBC TV    the same thing applies to rail fares in the UK which a lot of the general public were very ignorant off, just goes to show that you learn something everyday if you are aware !         Bruce is the Bar still open in Ft Lauderdale I remember outside wooden seats circular bar, used to have the biggest Black Policeman come to make sure it was closing on time he must have been 23 st this was back in the 80s , and the Blue Parrot got hammered in them both I beleive, but not a nuisance, not with walking mountain guy saying drink up, Ahh Happy Days... :cheersty:  :bash:

There is a two step process about your return ticket. The airline computer (should) ignore you if you buy a rount trip ticket. If you buy a 1 way ticket, then the computer (should) flag you for an inspection when you check in as the airline can be held responsible for you if you have now way out of the country. Not that I am aware of that happening.

The 2nd step is that upon your arrival, an immigration officer may (quickly) ask how long you are staying. Say '21 days'! Without hesitation and you should be fine. Any other answer may make the officer ask more questions such as asking to see your departure ticket. They CAN refuse you entry if you do not have a departure ticket.  

So, while certainly possible to have an issue, most forum members are simply doing what the minimum is to be legal in case there are questions. Remember the immigration officer has no real interest in you or your stay. They are simply doing a job and if you do not draw attention to yourself, you go right through and then on with your stay.

As for 'the bar" I am not sure which one you are talking about. The most famous, with wooden chairs is The Elbow Room on the beach at las Olas and A1A. I am not sure about any Blue Parrot as I am not a drinker.

i am bob
Posted
Posted

In the last few months, the Philippines has become quite serious about people entering without that ticket to get them back out again.  This is where the term "Throw Away Ticket" becomes very popular.  Most people will buy a 1 way ticket to the Philippines - obviously to get there with.  But a ticket is required back out as well.  This is the Throw Away Ticket - you purchase the cheapest ticket you can find - often using the services at Tiger Airways or one of the other discount air lines and it falls within your 21 day visit window.  Without this Throw Away Ticket, you won't get into the Philippines to start with.  Why?  Because the Philippines makes the airline who brought you in responsible for all costs while they deport you again.  So, being smart, the airlines check for your ticket out when you go to board for your flight in.  Without it, you can't board.

So why is it called a Throw Away Ticket?  Because you are going to get an extension to your Visa, are you not?  Instead of paying all that money for a two way ticket to start with, why not just get one way and then a really cheap ticket that you aren't going to use other than to satisfy the airline / BI as your ticket out?  Get your extension.  And then you just throw the ticket away after.

If you go to the main Forum page, you will find lots of information listed.  Here is one to get you started:

http://www.philippines-expats.com/topic/13071-foreigner-with-no-return-ticket/

• Like 1

londonirish53
Posted
Posted

Thanks again Bob, Very clear and concise, Pretty much getting the (sp) understanding of the the situation more and more, good.

Bruce posted to me about informing passport control 21 days confidently as I'm not a proficient liar that was not really an option

On another note, as you seem clued up on things I was going to ask what are the + and - on buying a scooter to get around on

costs / safety / hassle  theft,       seeing the Jeepney photo earlier  my hunger for  the 'Easy Rider' open road has been let's say

been put on the back burner !!!   Wouldn't mind awfully using that particular mode of transport...

Bruce
Posted
Posted

Thanks again Bob, Very clear and concise, Pretty much getting the (sp) understanding of the the situation more and more, good.

Bruce posted to me about informing passport control 21 days confidently as I'm not a proficient liar that was not really an option

On another note, as you seem clued up on things I was going to ask what are the + and - on buying a scooter to get around on

costs / safety / hassle  theft,       seeing the Jeepney photo earlier  my hunger for  the 'Easy Rider' open road has been let's say

been put on the back burner !!!   Wouldn't mind awfully using that particular mode of transport...

The entire issue of a throw away ticket is again... price. Like I stated in a recent post, PAL costs are too high for a 1 way or open return. So I due to the fact that I MUST come back to the US, have no use for a throw away ticket.

As for a scooter / motor bike... STAY AWAY from the Chinese made ones. Most Honda / Yamaha et al in the Philippines are made in Thailand and ar OK. Starting prices of about $1800 USD and up. Harder to find a bike bigger than 200 -220cc except in Manila.

While motor bike crashes are a concern, robberies and other issues are found in riding a Jeepney. Experienced foreigners can tell you when to ride and when not to and where to sit and why and what to watch out for. Lots of issues. I would prefer the bike to a jeepney.

londonirish53
Posted
Posted

Yeh that's what I suspected, after all  Cebu is not  New Delhi   or  Bombay.  Depends where I end up renting,  it might be  scooter & when drinking

is involved Taxi for those occasions, I'm not a real biker just something to move my big  Ass around quickly as I say 200cc is ample fast for me.

I got your 'Check Photo' post  that's the second time now thats happened, late 70s I worked as an Electrician in a 5* London Hotel and being

an outgoing type had a good relationship with all of the staff , one day I was stopped in my tracks  walking through the main kitchen on the

scrounge for food when the room service Filapino boys called me over joking & laughing so I said  yes trouble what do you need fixing ?

when  photo appeared and a vision in a beautiful evening dress was thrust under my nose  "You like" ? You like Fu*k ??  Of course I said

anytime, who is this your cousin I enquired ? No, him pointing at another Filapino it's taken a long time to repeat my mistake so the next

time I'll just have to marry him !!!! Ha, ha. :no: