Poll Computers' Source Code To Be Open--comelec

Steve
Posted
Posted
SOURCE: http://newsinfo.inquirer.net/breakingnews/...e-open--ComelecMANILA, Philippines -- The source code for the software to be used in election computers in 2010 will be opened to the scrutiny of poll watchdogs and programmers, the Commission on Elections has assured the public.Comelec spokesman James Jimenez allayed fears of massive automated cheating and tampering of election returns in the May 2010 polls, when some 50 million Filipinos for the first time will use computers instead of pen and paper to elect their officials.In a statement on Monday, Jimenez said the Comelec was aware of potential security breaches posed by computerized voting and would disclose the software

Mike S
Posted
Posted

Just another good example of how corrupt politics can become ..... it is amazing how other more developed countries shy away from computer generated voting but here they embrace it as "the new age" ....... more like the "ice age" when it comes to a secure and honest election ....... oh well guess I shouldn't complain as my vote will never count anyway .... hahahahahaha ........

TheMason
    Posted
    Posted
    I can see this being a disaster waiting to happen. Source code like this should never be released.
    A disaster from who's viewpoint? Releasing the source code will enable manipulation of the results. Once the source code is publicly available there is plausible deniability for anyone with something to gain by manipulating the results. If anything funny goes on, who can you blame? After all, the source code was released publicly, it could have been anyone.You have to hand it to the government. They are many things, but they certainly are not stupid.