Bought My Tickets

ducecoop
Posted
Posted

I leave March 5 and Arrive March 7 (long ass trip)

I am going through Singapore straight to Davao so no dealing with Manila.

Getting excoted now

Also got my Throw away tickets

Dave

• Like 2

Bruce
Posted
Posted (edited)

And? and? AND!

How much? Just ax'in....... :th_signs027:

And your shots! You did get your shots.... right? That rabies shot wan't too bad, but that distemper shot burned!  

I limped for a week! I didn't know until after I looked it up online that I could have l gotten it in my arm! But I guess that is the way it goes when trying to save some money and getting your vaccinations at:

MR LIM'S VULCANIZING & NATURAL MEDICINE (Philhealth not accepted) :hystery:

Edited by Bruce
  • Like 2

ducecoop
Posted
Posted

hmmmm shots? really

780 for the flight

you f....ing with me agin? not so funny this time :)

• Like 1

Bruce
Posted
Posted (edited)

hmmmm shots? really

780 for the flight

you f....ing with me agin? not so funny this time :)

Not as far as you know!  :hystery: But in reality, I did check withthe CDC and WHO before my 1st trip and they did not recommend anything.  

If you are the gullible kind of guy..... then I will have a lot of fun! :mocking:

I am an RN and have had many vaccinations including the dreaded swine flu shot back when I was in the army.... But no real issues in Phils. Malaria not so common and only in parts. Dengue and typhoid there, but not a big concern.

(unless you are over 50, and a white male :bash: )

Relax take the trip and have a good time. Just remember to use an alias!

Edited by Bruce
  • Like 1

londonirish53
Posted
Posted

ducecoop if I may add to your banter, I went to my Doc /nurse she checked it out on her PC it had a Global data info, what to give you for where etc, The Phils, ie Cebu is not regarded as much of a risk,however some parts were  worse (Jungle mountain parts) I said no just Urban/semi urban for me. She gave me an inoculation passport just for my benefit. Cost = Zero, I shall miss the British National Health Service as I'm sure fellow Brits will too !!!

• Like 2

Bruce
Posted
Posted

ducecoop if I may add to your banter, I went to my Doc /nurse she checked it out on her PC it had a Global data info, what to give you for where etc, The Phils, ie Cebu is not regarded as much of a risk,however some parts were  worse (Jungle mountain parts) I said no just Urban/semi urban for me. She gave me an inoculation passport just for my benefit. Cost = Zero, I shall miss the British National Health Service as I'm sure fellow Brits will too !!!

What is an inoculation passport? Not seen in the US.

Out on Samar I have treated both typhoid fever (cipro / tylenol) and some dengue fever (mostly tylenol & fluid replacement) but these are from people who sleep in open low lying areas.

All in all, if anyone (including you whoever you may be) are concerned about getting sick and as such may not make the trip, you are making a mistake. Simple processed water products to drink (BEER!), fresh restaurant quality foods and showers and washing your filthy hands are all you really need to do. SO take the plunge and have a good trip! 

• Like 1

JJReyes
Posted
Posted

Bruce, What about a tetanus shot or a booster?

In the good old days, the World Health Organization required travelers to carry a card certifying you had been innoculated for small pox and injected for cholera. Depending on you travel destination, there were other requirements like shots for yellow fever. My recollection is the card was first inspected by a quarantine officer before proceeding to immigrations and the customs.

• Like 1

londonirish53
Posted
Posted

A med passport is only a diary to record, keep record of anything received in this Dept, and as far as your advice goes on not taking precautions in this way, I will take advice, as I have from my Health Clinic, Prevention is better than cure in my World, others are obviously free to choose their own health decisions for themselves !! No doubt some will follow your advice, Whoever they shall be...

• Like 1

i am bob
Posted
Posted

Yeah, Bruce can get under your skin sometimes but he's all bluff...  He'll get mad at me for telling his secrets now...  hehe!

Anyway, seriously, there are no shots you need to get to come to the Philippines.  You can get some precautionary shots but they are just that - precautionary.  And I am of the firm belief that having too many shots that aren't required are helping to lead to antibiotics that don't work any more.  Having a Vaccination Passport is good - I have one myself.  You never know when you may decide to take a trip to somewhere else that does require a specific shot and if you can't remember if you had that one...

:attention:

Bruce
Posted
Posted

Bruce, What about a tetanus shot or a booster?

In the good old days, the World Health Organization required travelers to carry a card certifying you had been innoculated for small pox and injected for cholera. Depending on you travel destination, there were other requirements like shots for yellow fever. My recollection is the card was first inspected by a quarantine officer before proceeding to immigrations and the customs.

Tetanus shot, cheap and easy to get, is a good idea for anyone and in any and all countries. Most of the serious stuff is in Africa. Quarantine issues are fewer these days. Did you know that there is a CURE for malaria? Not yet approved and is as I remember reading, without side effects. Also several treatments that are really good now, but not yet widely available yet. Something to do with cell proteins and compontents of those proteins and damaging those components which then makes the parasite unable to fight off the host (you) immune system. All well beyond me as a simple bed side nurse specializing in OB/GYN....

The word 'resaonable' is quite subjective. So taking 'reasonable precautions' varies by the individual making those decisions. The reality is that the Philippines is a 3rd world country, like many in Africa, but WITHOUT the huge variety or parasites or nasty germs and of course, the day to day violence! The Philippines is a great place for a vacation or to retire. But if obsessive about what 'may happen', relax, take the trip and have a good time. Just check into the side effects of any vaccine you may think about taking and then look at the risk factor for where you are going.

Except of course for Bob...... :cheersty:

• Like 1