French Tourist Shot Dead In Front Of Hotel In Pasay.

bootleultras
Posted
Posted (edited)

http://www.philstar.com/metro/2013/03/09/917406/robbers-kill-french-tourist-front-hotel-espina-axes-precinct-chief

Here's the article, be aware of your surroundings, dont carry valuables unless absoloutely necessary & never, never fight back.......... Is it worth your life. Be safe folks.

By Non Alquitran and Perseus Echeminada (The Philippine Star) | Updated March 9, 2013 - 12:00am

MANILA, Philippines - A Frenchman was shot dead by robbers as he was waiting for a taxi in front of a hotel in Pasay City yesterday morning.

The attack on Hofman Pierre Paul Franz, 68, prompted National Capital Region Police Office chief Director Leonardo Espina to relieve Inspector Jolly Soriano, commander of the Police Community Precinct 6.

“He should be relieved immediately for not patrolling aggressively enough,” Espina said in an interview.

He directed city Senior Superintendent Rodolfo Llorca “not to go to sleep” until they catch the three men who robbed Franz.

Frenchmen Julien Cuy Henry Leclerc and Dubois Leclerc and Filipina companion Joselyne Maria Theresa were with Franz and waiting for a taxi in front of a hotel along EDSA at past 8 a.m. when three men on a motorcycle stopped in front of them and grabbed Franz’s belt bag, which contained 750 euros (approximately P39,600), according to Chief Inspector Bong Sta. Teresa, the city police’s deputy chief for investigation.

Franz fought back and the robbers shot him in the chest, abdomen and left forearm, Sta. Teresa said.

Witnesses said the hotel, which sits at the corner of EDSA and Roxas Boulevard, has tourist police officers and the area teemed with traffic enforcers but it took at least an hour before Franz was taken to the San Juan de Dios Hospital across EDSA. He was declared dead on arrival.

Franz, who arrived in the country Thursday, and his companions were supposed to take a taxi to the Victory Liner bus terminal, where they would board a bus for Baguio. He was billeted at the Ralph Mansion in Parañaque City.

Investigators said the robbers, after grabbing Franz’s belt bag, stopped at a Toyota Corolla parked nearby and two of them boarded the sedan. All three escaped.

Three spent shells from a .45-caliber pistol were found at the scene of the robbery.

Edited by bootleultras
  • Like 3

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

That's just sad.  Too risky to be a random robbery.  They must have had some clue as to what was in the bag.  Perhaps the bag held even more than what was released to the press.  I mean yes you can get shot over a cell phone here but organized crimes such as this are usually targeted.  I'm wondering who contacted the bad dudes to tell them what was in the bag.

• Like 3

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

Never ceases to amaze me, I have seen it on this forum and others recommending wearing a money belt. I would not wear one if you paid me for the simple reason you look like a tourist, money belt or bag contains money so hey, look there's our next target.

If you need to carry a large amount then split it up in perhaps two wallets, when forced hand over the one that contains a lesser amount. When I go out in Cebu at night I place a thousand peso note down my sock so if I am robbed its most likely I still have my thousand to find my way home.

Its probably a natural instinct to fight for whats yours but its the wrong thing to do.

Sadly this guy was only in the country for a few days however it is not known if its his first visit.

• Like 4

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

That's just sad.  Too risky to be a random robbery.  They must have had some clue as to what was in the bag.  Perhaps the bag held even more than what was released to the press.  I mean yes you can get shot over a cell phone here but organized crimes such as this are usually targeted.  I'm wondering who contacted the bad dudes to tell them what was in the bag.

I would think more random as 3 on a bike sure makes it harder to get away.

• Like 2

MikeB
Posted
Posted

Witnesses said the hotel, which sits at the corner of EDSA and Roxas Boulevard, has tourist police officers and the area teemed with traffic enforcers but it took at least an hour before Franz was taken to the San Juan de Dios Hospital across EDSA

It took them "at least an hour" to get him across EDSA to the hospital? Something seriously wrong there. 

• Like 4

bootleultras
Posted
Posted

Honestly, europeans & those belt bags(bum bags) always put a big target on their heads, I often cringe when I see tourists walking around Manila with them.

• Like 3

brock
Posted
Posted

This has got to be the worst country in the world for tourists and expats getting murdered

more fun in the Philippines

• Like 1

SubicSteve
Posted
Posted

A ?????? hour.

A ?????? hour.

Pathetic.

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

I would think more random as 3 on a bike sure makes it harder to get away.

Nah, even the getaway was planned:

Investigators said the robbers, after grabbing Franz’s belt bag, stopped at a Toyota Corolla parked nearby and two of them boarded the sedan

• Like 2

bootleultras
Posted
Posted

Organised crime includes the getaway,they can sit there for hours and wait for a potential victim.....Pasay city is a dangerous place to be & they are well aware now that riding in tandem is more than likely going to get them pulled over somewhere sooner or later.