Crime Comparisons

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
P.S. You were asking  about my bitterness... it might comes from that "Latino vs pinoy" expectation...That i came here exppecting a society like mexico and instead i got served Asian-morals, with african finance, whilst the latino top quality is that: if you are latino, you are family and the Filipino version of it is that: if you are family we'll excuse anything and if you are not family you are expendable(CRIME, guns etc)... see how it's all connects....one can't see the extent of my rethoric if one gets insulted, but once past it, a world of logic and real data should be unveiled. make sense? or is it still to much for this forum? you tell me? ;-)

By the look of it for you, why bother complaining and just move somewhere like a perfect world. You say you came here expecting something like Mexico but did you bother to investigate before you moved?

Do you happen to know cebujoe?

• Like 5

ronhextal
Posted
Posted

yeah, well claiming that the "leave" argument  was an empty one did not stop you from reiterate it, so lets explain further why it so empty of an argument: I was born on this planet. weither or not some believe in imaginary lines and whish to utilise those line to persecute and control people is up to them... I don't care about cultures personally  (usually there is 2 ways that is done: through peer-pressure(culture/society/law) or crime(mafia/gov/police))

For what is of your statment about "complaining" i do not think i have complaint once so far (maybe i miss used the English grammar, but i think all my comments where observations... eitherway, that's was my goal)

For what it is of your logic, because it is logical to not stay where it is the worst and move to were it is best... yes i am moving and will start over in a country i already lived in so i wont be badly surprised and can bounce back easily after this first travel failure.I also never researched much about where i went in the past, and Philippines was the first place to disapoint me. So as you can see my list of experiences that's a good ratio, WHICH IS WHY I AM SO OPINIONATED ABOUT IT.... because i did do my due dilligence before to speak up 15+ years of due dilligence in almost 10 countries...LIVING IN, maybe that's where we differ.

.... jollygoodfella's comment, infuriates me because i clearly warn against that type of comment (they have only one purpose undermind an opinion(that's the purpose of the action taken by jollygoodfella, weather or not he knows it).

I clearly stated what i think is fact, what i think is bullsh&t, hell I even went into "introspect" figuring out why i am so bitter about by disapointments as "bob" was raising the question.

So for the sake of that tread, lets just go back to compare numbers between 1st world nation and 3rd world metropolis and cebu-jungles... because that makes so much sense!?!

Quote: "You are such an a**h*le, for pointing it out"...My Pinoy Wife!

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
... jollygoodfella's comment, infuriates me because i clearly warn against that type of comment (they have only one purpose undermind an opinion(that's the purpose of the action taken by jollygoodfella, weather or not he knows it).

Well what I do know is your type is not suited here  :buttkick:

• Like 5

Jake
Posted
Posted

P.S. You were asking  about my bitterness... it might comes from that "Latino vs pinoy" expectation...That i came here exppecting a society like mexico and instead i got served Asian-morals, with african finance, whilst the latino top quality is that: if you are latino, you are family and the Filipino version of it is that: if you are family we'll excuse anything and if you are not family you are expendable(CRIME, guns etc)... see how it's all connects....one can't see the extent of my rethoric if one gets insulted, but once past it, a world of logic and real data should be unveiled. make sense? or is it still to much for this forum? you tell me? ;-)

By the look of it for you, why bother complaining and just move somewhere like a perfect world. You say you came here expecting something like Mexico but did you bother to investigate before you moved?

Do you happen to know cebujoe?

WARNING-RANT ALERT

I'm sorry Intrepid......I need to high jack your OP but I think it's important for all members, especially the new

ones to see how we do business here.  Our forum rules are really universal, simple to understand and more

importantly, we (moderators, admin and BossMan) have discussions about a certain member before we take

any action.

In this case, it was fairly easy for the Boss to ban this douche bag.  I mean, just look at Ronhextal's tone of

voice (writing) -- most of it has a theme of defiance, hatred and arrogant know-it-all attitude.  This forum has

also Filipina members and I'm glad they did not see it yet.  You don't want to be at ground zero whenever you

piss off the Pinays here -- we will ALL be in the dog house, including the Boss......he, he.

CebuJoe-Ronhextal-Phildriver and other trolls live and die by this definition: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_troll

Now back to our regularly scheduled program........respectfully -- Jake

• Like 4

i am bob
Posted
Posted

I will throw a number out there for comparison...

The City of Toronto (and not the GTA) had 289 victims of shootings last year.  Pretty close to averaging 1 a day.

Anybody know the number for Cebu?

:unsure:

intrepid
Posted
Posted
I'm sorry Intrepid......I need to high jack your OP but I think it's important for all members, especially the new ones to see how we do business here. Our forum rules are really universal, simple to understand and more importantly, we (moderators, admin and BossMan) have discussions about a certain member before we take any action.

No Problem.  At first I was thinking, "Look what I started"as I was :hystery:  to myself.  But then as true to myself, just as in the past with others like him, I started to feel sorry for him.  I sure am glad we here have a better outlook on life.  Makes us more happy and enjoyable on life.

Now back to my OP.  I was not really comparing crime rates to foreigners in the PI.  More just comparing reported crime news in small towns/cities in each area of the places I know.  No doubt foreigners seemed to be more targeted in the Philippines.  I wish we could somehow learn what percentage of the victims had some *"choice" in becoming a victim. 

*Meaning through mouth or actions.

I don't know if a survey like that could ever be done.

:tiphat:

• Like 3

johnb
Posted
Posted

I think this has been said before, but its not simply a case of comparing figures especially as so many crimes here in Cebu go unreported, and others miss- categorized, but its the lack of response or failure to pursue justice by the police or courts that make it most concerning, every time a crime is left open or misjudged against a foreigner, it sends a message that its a better bet to rob a foreigner than a local, now its already perceived that foreigners are all rich, but now it appears there not important enough to investigate crimes against them, a local family can try to put pressure on the police to act, or they can have family members take matters into there own hands, not quite so simple for a foreigner particularly as a tourist.

Having said that, this is the fifth developing country that I have lived in, and not by a long shot the most dangerous, however it is in my opinion the most corrupt and anti foreigner place I've ever lived in, if you come here as a tourist or even stay for a few months a year, you may see things differently, but you try to run a business your prospective may differ.

• Like 3

MikeB
Posted
Posted

Crime statistics here are basically useless:

"Rising violence against foreigners represents the latest mark on the Philippines spotty image as a friendly destination for foreign investment and travel, adding to the burdens of outmoded infrastructure and endemic corruption. The police have responded by burnishing their crime statistics, giving the impression that crime is on the wane rather than rise. That's been accomplished through a statistical loophole that allows crimes committed at the barangay level, the country's smallest governmental units, not to be included on the national crime ledger."

http://www.atimes.com/atimes/Southeast_Asia/LH17Ae01.html

• Like 3

jpbago
Posted
Posted
The City of Toronto (and not the GTA) had 289 victims of shootings last year.  Pretty close to averaging 1 a day.

Of the 289 victims, 32 were deaths and 97 had no injuries. The medics in Toronto plug the holes quickly or maybe the accuracy is poor (not 3 feet away).

Year End Shootings         Last Year to Previous     Updated:  2013.05.06 07:37 2009 2010 2011 2012 Percent Change Absolute Change     Occurrences 256 263 227 213 -6.2% -14     Victims 338 335 281 289 2.8% 8     Shooting Injury Level                 Death 37 32 27 32 18.5% 5     Injuries 143 139 114 114 0.0% 0     No injuries 102 99 95 97 2.1% 2     Unknown 56 65 45 46 2.2% 1

i am bob
Posted
Posted

Thanks for putting the rest of the numbers up, JP. I was going to do that originally but i couldn't get an answer on how they have a shooting without an injury... that would be classed as" discharging a firearm" rather than a shooting.

Anyway my point is that, even in cities that people consider to be very safe, you don't always hear the bad stuff. No matter where you are, to break the stats down to show all the data a person wants to see, a large group of statisticians is required.

I too would like to know the numbers for the Philippines but i doubt that there is any way to get them.

• Like 2