Coming To America! Or Other....

ekimswish
Posted
Posted (edited)

I got 4 more days until my wife and kids arrive in Canada and I was wondering how other people's filipina wives handled the transition?

Any tips or pointers would be appreciated. 

As I'm pretty busy at work, they'll stay at my parents' house at first and hang out with them. My mom and dad are retired and will help them out a lot with day to day things. Also, she's been here before and met Filipinas already here as well as my friends, so she'll have some entertainment options. 

As for us, I'm making more money than I've ever made before but not enough to be reckless with. Think she'll go for broke and want to buy everything up or I can still scare her into being frugal?

Advice on that and the x-factor stuff would be great. Personal stories? Anything to get a thread going. 

ps: Think she'll cheat on me once she realizes western guys grow a lot taller and more physically fit than me, or that there are Filipinos here who are everything she ever dreamed of.... i.e. not gambling at the cockpit and addicted to shabu.

Edited by ekimswish
  • Like 2

Bruce
Posted
Posted

Rent every big foot / sasquatch movie you can get. And then any bear footage off youtube on the subject of bears eating trash out of residential trash cans.....Now that you have her 'primed', remind her to be very alert when taking the trash out at night..... :541:

• Like 2

Jake
Posted
Posted

How's roughnecking out in Alberta?  I believe you mentioned that you are busting your butt freezing on
some remote oil rig.  But knowing you, you probably built an outdoor basketball court and still slammin'
those 3 point shots during a winter blizzard.

Anyway, first thing came to mind is family separation and all the X factors that goes with it.  I know you
spent some considerable time in Taiwan (or was it S Korea) and you held you family together.  That is
a testimonial of maintaining a healthy marriage and I commend you for that.

Perhaps, I'm thinking of extreme situations where your wife may be influenced too quickly for the wrong
reasons.  For example, my wife Judy was perfectly happy shopping at WalFart during the early years
of our marriage.  However, constant exposures to western values (read keeping up with the Jones) did
influence my wife to spend and spend.  Since then, I've been trying to teach her the word BUDGET.  I
believe she's up to the letter D now.

One more thing.....modern day communications between you and your family while you're out working
in the boonies is so important these days.  Real time video links on a regular basis should put her mind
at ease.  Besides that, daily chats with the Mrs should curtail any gossips about what you do in your off
time.  Skype is her friend -- facial gestures are solid markers whether you're lying or not.....he, he.

Good boy ako -- Jake

• Like 1

Bruce
Posted
Posted

Since then, I've been trying to teach her the word BUDGET. I believe she's up to the letter D now.

Jake.... You need to stop skipping school. BUDGET was last weeks vocabulary word. We are now up to the T words. Now class, the word for today is TRADE IN. Can anyone use the phrase TRADE IN, in a sentence?  

Yes Jake? Well my question, asked Jake, is that well, is TRADE IN the same as TRADE UP? No Jake not the same, but sometimes when people do make a TRADE IN, they often, based on past experiences, choose an upgraded model. You know such as with an off switch, mute button, multispeed gyrations. Many possibilities.  

:as-if:  :nudie:

• Like 1

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted (edited)

You may need to be the one to control the finances at least for awhile see how she handles things.

If you truly fear she will leave you for someone else you are with the wrong woman and better off without her. From all that you have shared here over the years I don't see that as an issue.

Edited by Old55
  • Like 1

Bruce
Posted
Posted

You may need to be the one to control the finances at least for awhile see how she handles things.

If you truly fear she will leave you for someone else you are with the wrong woman and better off without her. From all that you have shared here over the years I don't see that as an issue.

SHHHHH! Jake spends more time time in the dog house then in his own house. Why I heard a rumor that his wife's nickname is TAMPO. Lets all get together on this and help Jake see the bigger picture.... He has paid his dues and should be able to relax for the rest of his life living comfortably on his pensions and not have to worry about saying the wrong thing to set off Ms. Tampo.

• Like 1

ekimswish
Posted
Posted

Roughnecking has been going great, but we're at the end of a long winter season and everyone's ready for a month off after this hole. My family will be here in a couple days, but I'll have to finish this hole before I can see them. No basketball all winter long, so I can't wait for the month off to see if I still got it or not?

My wife has typically been quick to spend "my" money but slow to spend "her" money, in the sense that it depends whose hands the cash is in. I figure I'll give her a spending allowance until she's able to work, and see if she uses it or not. She's actually doing her shopping before she comes to Canada because she's been here before and knows the malls here suck. 

My biggest worry is how she'll survive without a driver's license. She mentioned getting one under the table in the Philippines before she leaves, but if she has to start from scratch in Canada then it'll take a year. Luckily the town we'll be in is small and everything is nearby. 

Not really worried about her cheating on me with other dudes. If she were the type to do so she would've done it by now since we've been living in other countries for the past two years. Skype indeed makes the world a more bearable place to live when you're so far apart. 

• Like 2