Cyprus,Expats- Financial Issues

earthdome
Posted
Posted

In this day and age investing in beer and women may give you the best return on your money.  :cheersty:

I also recommend diversifying those investments.  :hystery:

• Like 3

Bruce
Posted
Posted

In this day and age investing in beer and women may give you the best return on your money.  :cheersty:

Wise words to live by! Just remember that paradoxial effect..... The more beer you consume.... the better looking the women become.  

SubicSteve
Posted
Posted

As far as I'm concerned it is outright theft.  And if they get away with it now, you will see the same thing happen in other places, INCLUDING the USA.  Of course first they will have to take away our guns, which they are working on as I type this.

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

Gotta be the best answer so far this year! :hystery: :cheersty:

• Like 1

Curley
Posted
Posted

As far as I'm concerned it is outright theft.  And if they get away with it now, you will see the same thing happen in other places, INCLUDING the USA.  Of course first they will have to take away our guns, which they are working on as I type this.

Theft? How can taxation be classed as theft? This is basically just another way of raising taxes which are needed to stave off bankruptcy; going bankrupt will cost savers far more in the long run.... their savings will become worthless not just 10% less!

Yes, it could happen in the states, the national debt is approaching $17,000,000,000,000 (count those zeroes!!!) When the interest payments approach more than the national income ..... what will happen? Who will you shoot? What will that achieve?

For years governments around the world have mismanaged taxes and will, no doubt, continue to do so because Joe Public does not educate himself sufficiently and votes for the best looking/traditional party/he who spends the most on advertising/ etc instead of looking at someone with the interests of the country as a mandate..... Hang on..... are there ever candidates with anything other than their own interests at heart?

For us oldies maybe Earthdome has the answer.

GregZ
Posted
Posted

Theft? How can taxation be classed as theft?

The short story = They are talking about stealing depositor's money before taking the money from the investors that supposedly had the risk.  I agree with 'theft', especially on the insured part of the deposit.  They are stealing your faith in the insured deposit systems.  They need to take the investor money first, then tax the UNINSURED deposits if it must be.

Just Sayin' :th_unfair:

i am bob
Posted
Posted

You should come to Canada.  We use to have a used to have a political party called the Rhinoceros Party run by a guy who changed his name to Sa Tan and used a Rhino as the party leader.  Their main platform was about 2 feet high and made of wood.  And their main political promise was, if elected, to not show up.  It was dissolved in 2003 (I think) and eventually another person came along and revived the party under the neorhino party.  Apparently the Fed-UP Party (also known as FU) is still in business.  And in recent years, the Canadian Extreme Wrestling Party, the Parti Citron (Lemon Party), The Prince Edward Island Draft Beer Party and the Absolutely Absurd Party all went out of business.  I myself joined the Beaver Party which replaced the Rhino Party upon it's first death.

Now what do they have with what is happening in Cyprus?  Every one of these parties believed in No Taxes!  

Curley
Posted
Posted

Theft? How can taxation be classed as theft?

The short story = They are talking about stealing depositor's money before taking the money from the investors that supposedly had the risk.  I agree with 'theft', especially on the insured part of the deposit.  They are stealing your faith in the insured deposit systems.  They need to take the investor money first, then tax the UNINSURED deposits if it must be.

Just Sayin' :th_unfair:

Who are the investors? Pension funds? Unit trusts? Managed funds? All of whom use Joe Public's money to invest and hopefully provide pensions/savings returns for us. I agree it's unfair but who says that life is fair? The country is in a huge mess and needs sorting NOW before worse happens.

Curley
Posted
Posted

You should come to Canada.  We use to have a used to have a political party called the Rhinoceros Party run by a guy who changed his name to Sa Tan and used a Rhino as the party leader.  Their main platform was about 2 feet high and made of wood.  And their main political promise was, if elected, to not show up.  It was dissolved in 2003 (I think) and eventually another person came along and revived the party under the neorhino party.  Apparently the Fed-UP Party (also known as FU) is still in business.  And in recent years, the Canadian Extreme Wrestling Party, the Parti Citron (Lemon Party), The Prince Edward Island Draft Beer Party and the Absolutely Absurd Party all went out of business.  I myself joined the Beaver Party which replaced the Rhino Party upon it's first death.

Now what do they have with what is happening in Cyprus?  Every one of these parties believed in No Taxes!  

Reminds me of Screaming Lord Sutch  "He founded the Official Monster Raving Loony Party in 1983 and fought the Bermondsey by-election. In his career he contested over 40 elections, rarely threatening the major candidates, but often getting a respectable number of votes.

earthdome
Posted
Posted

From one oldie to another...

I agree that taxes=theft. Perhaps a better word would be extortion. Because if you don't pay taxes men with guns are going to come and throw you in a cage or take your home away from you.

I also agree that it is almost impossible to fix the excesses of government via the political process. Too many people have a stake in profiting or benefiting from the status quo.

Violent revolutions generally don't work well. When they do work you usually end up with a new group in power who just replace the old group as the top dogs.

Armed individuals standing up against the excesses of government doesn't work either. The government has more firepower. Those who do stand up and threaten or enact violence will be painted as crazy extremists. Not changing anything.

The path with the best prospects to enact change for more freedom and liberty is non violent civil disobedience and non compliance. That has a chance to work if enough people have the courage to use those tactics.

Recently the path for me has been to try and enjoy what remains of my life in a place which to this point, for day to day life, feels less oppressive than the nation of my birth.

• Like 1