Arghhh!!!! I Left My Android Smart Phone In A Taxi!!!

earthdome
Posted
Posted

This morning taking a taxi to the bus terminal in Baguio I left my android samsung galaxy SII smartphone in the taxi.

Before I left on the bus I realized I didn't have the phone. Searched there then grabbed a taxi back to the hotel. The phone wasn't there either so I thought I may have left it in the taxi.

Then I got an SMS on my old dump motorola phone from my smart phone. Exchanged several SMS, at one point enlisting the help of hotel staff to send SMS in tagalog. It has been 45 minutes since I received the last SMS from whoever has the phone. The person knows the hotel I am at. Still no phone.

If the person sent me SMS, to me that indicates they may have been interested in returning it.

Hope they are just delayed in getting to the hotel. Maybe the taxi driver has it and is busy with fares.

As a precaution I went online and changed the password for the gmail account associated with that smart phone.

I will leave my contact information with the hotel just in case the phone shows up later.

Next step will be going to the Smart store when it opens in the mall at 10AM.

I do have the phone password protected but that only kicks in after 30 min of inactivity. That is why the person who has it could send me SMS. At some point if they don't use it, the screen will lock them out from sending SMS. The phone only has a data/SMS plan. No voice.

Any suggestions??

• Like 2

Call me bubba
Posted
Posted (edited)

does it have a "tracking" app/ unit or something that would allow 1 to locate it?

(maybe I have watched to much NCIS or DEXTER)

Many Taxis are very honest, he should return it, unless he gets stopped by the "police for jaywalking".

If it does get returned,,(which I am sure it will) make sure You give appreciation, to those involved,

(newspaper,taxi company, tourism office) they all like to hear GOOD NEWS

Edited by Pittman apartments Sgn
  • Like 2

Bruce
Posted
Posted

I have heard of similar things where the phone is returned. A reward is expected and easier and no theft issues arise by taking the reward to return it as compared to pawning or selling on he street.

• Like 1

earthdome
Posted
Posted

There was no tracking app installed.

I offered a reward but didn't say how much. After a few text message exchanges I never received another. I think I may have blew it by not specifying how much the reward would be. Then the lost phone must have been turned off because later SMS I sent to the person who had the phone were received by me after I had a replacement simm and new phone. It would have been worth 500-2000 pesos for me to have it returned.

The phone is gone. I lost some data, like pictures I hadn't moved to my laptop, and some contact info. 

I went to Smart and had them disable the SIMM and issue me a replacement for 40 pesos.

Then I bought a Samsung Galaxy S3 mini with Android 4.1 Jellybean, 14,990 php. Not as high end as the S2 I had but the S3 was 26,990 php!

I am back home, the new phone is working as the wifi hotspot for my laptop and I am configuring the phone and updating/installing apps.

• Like 2

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

It could still show up, from what you say someone wanted the phone returned to you but who knows, maybe could not get to your hotel or something. Now it appears the problem is who ever has the phone can not contact you anyway but maybe I misunderstood the whole post. 

• Like 1

earthdome
Posted
Posted

From discussing this with my girlfriend who wasn't there to help me... common practice is for the finder to require a substantial "reward" to return the phone. A promised reward close to what the person could get selling the phone. In this case she said I should have offered 10,000 pesos. Then when the phone arrived only given 500-1000 pesos.

In my case I offered to give a reward but never mentioned how much. 2 hours later it was obvious that the person no longer had any intention of returning the phone when my latter text messages arrived at my new phone with the replacement simm. The person had shut off the phone and left it off.

• Like 1

i am bob
Posted
Posted

Check out the AVG antivirus for android...  It's a free app.  And they have a "lost phone" option where they can have the phone ring, track it on a map, all the fun stuff and even when turned off!  I put it on my android and have used it twice now when I had no idea where I left my phone in the apartment...  Just had it ring a few times and voila!  It's cheaper than getting a new phone cause it's free!

This is just one of the apps that will do this but I like this one better as it is one of the best antivirus apps available at the same time.  Sometimes you just gotta love those Aussies...  Uhm...  What's that, Tom?   Like I meant...   Like those Aussies...  

:mocking:  

• Like 4

MikeB
Posted
Posted

I got an S III with a Globe plan yesterday. This product has very good reviews so I'm going to try it. 

• Like 1

JJReyes
Posted
Posted

The loss of something of value is very frustrating.

Being anti-technology, I carry the cheapest mobile in the Philippines. One of these days, I might even be persuaded to learn how to text message, but cellular technology is for a much younger generation.

• Like 3

Bruce
Posted
Posted

The loss of something of value is very frustrating.

Being anti-technology, I carry the cheapest mobile in the Philippines. One of these days, I might even be persuaded to learn how to text message, but cellular technology is for a much younger generation.

Yup. Me too! I am happy with my Nokia Stupid Phone model 6120.

• Like 1