Driving In Olongapo City

Jake
Posted
Posted (edited)

OK, one more thing about driving in PI based on my personal experience.  One night, I made a mistake

of taking short cut between Tagaytay and Batangas (south of Manila).  It was a semi paved mountain

road and hardly any guard rails, let alone no road lights.  You would figure that everyone's asleep pass

midnight but the village dogs will keep you awake running the gauntlet of their fresh droppings and

of course themselves.

Please don't make any drastic maneuvers in trying to avoid hitting them.  You may end up in the ditch

or worst, down a deep ravine.  Take the foot off the accelerator and brace for impact.  Please do not

stop, for obvious reasons.  It's really Pun in the Pill-lippines.....he, he.

Two road kills -- Jake

Edited by Jake
  • Like 2

lyno 47
Posted
Posted

Jake thanks mate i think they are called a bushmaster not sure maybe if i cant afford a tank a used APC might do the trick.i have no desire to change a flat tyre on the side of the road,so i think tracks are a better option.cheers

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
jon1
Posted
Posted

OK, one more thing about driving in PI based on my personal experience.  One night, I made a mistake

of taking short cut between Tagaytay and Batangas (south of Manila).  It was a semi paved mountain

road and hardly any guard rails, let alone no road lights.  You would figure that everyone's asleep pass

midnight but the village dogs will keep you awake running the gauntlet of their fresh droppings and

of course themselves.

Please don't make any drastic maneuvers in trying to avoid hitting them.  You may end up in the ditch

or worst, down a deep ravine.  Take the foot off the accelerator and brace for impact.  Please do not

stop, for obvious reasons.  It's really Pun in the Pill-lippines.....he, he.

Two road kills -- Jake

I had a similar drive up the Eastern RORO highway. I killed 2 dogs in Samar and Leyte in the same night. 

Bottom line: rolling a high profile 4x4 to avoid a mixed breed dog wanting to chase your tires is not worth it. One of them bent my right tire rod and I had to have that replaced when I got back to Subic.

Definitely, never stop for anything lying in the road. I saw a hit/run fatality in Samar in the middle of the night and didn't stop. If you were to, you would be held responsible for the medical bills. There is no such thing as a "good Samaritan" over here. No pun intended.... hahahaha

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
Daydreamer
Posted
Posted
They prefer to weave in and out whenever traffic slows down.

Its called the "wino dance of death"! :thumbsup: I used to use that technique to cross Market St. in Frisco during rush hour. You really have to be nimble to avoid bicycle messengers, taxis, cop cars (especially during a chase)and delivery vans and trucks :hystery:

Papa Carl
Posted
Posted

Have been driving now in the PI for about 6 years. Driving in Negros Oriental from Dumuguete was never that much of a problem other than the windy roads at night, and getting used to using your horn at every corner.

Recently drove from Angeles to Indang in Cavite, that was exciting, but took the precaution of leaving Angeles at about 2am, so as to have as few obsticles as possible going through Manila. (By the way I noticed that most vehicles don't bother stopping at red lights during the weeeee hours of the morning, and when you do, they go around you cursing and swearing!)

Did the same coming back, so Manila was not too much of a problem, accept I needed to stop in Tondo on the way back!!!!!

Clark, like Subic is very civil, almost feels like driving in the UK or Canada, however Angeles...... well best not to get into that one.

This was a big step for me, as I had my wife, and daughter with me for the trip, so was extra careful. Having said that I was driving the new Owner.... with doors and seatbelts!  We were a little more loaded coming back, there were 10 of us in my little owner with a 1300 engine, whining my way down the motorway, foot flat to the floor and everyone jumping forward when we got to a slight incline!!! Ha, Ha

Only in the Philippines....., sorry, It's more fun in the Philippines I should say.

Papa Carl

• Like 3