Aussie Executed

Mike S
Posted
Posted (edited)

If I am ever talking to one of you Australians and a guy walks up to the back of my head pointing a gun . . . . say something willya

Hummmmmm ..... I suppose "Tag Your It" would not be appropriate  ......  :hystery:  :hystery:  ..... just kidding Dave ..... seeeeee ..... I just knew there would be another good reason not to be caught talking to other foreigners .... so I guess I'm perfectly safe .....  :mocking:

Sorry not trying to make light of a serious situation but it COULD happen to anyone anywhere here in the Phils ...... the worst possible thing you can ever do is to make a Filipino loose face (don't know it that is what happened ... just saying) and it almost seems like a get out of jail free card as even the judges seem to sympathize with the purps and not the vics here ..... strange very strange ...... never raise your voice or say anything demeaning to a Filipino here especially out in public ..... or you just may find your gonads handed to you in a basket ..... if your lucky .....  and not your head ..... :cheersty:

Edited by Mike S
  • Like 2

Adventurer
Posted
Posted

yeah it's on all the major news sites now and a top 5 story. I guess normal aussies must be wondering what sort of idiots would go to the Philippines after this and the kidnapping..... :) well I'm still going to pick up my fiancée and get her out of there and bring her back to Aus, the more I read the news in the PH the less I want to live there. When I go there soon I will be keeping an even lower profile than the low profile I have had in the past just to pass the days until my fiancées visa is ready....

• Like 1

Americano
Posted
Posted (edited)

One big problem here is a lot of Filipinas pretend to be single with no boyfriend when they are putting their hooks into a rich foreigner.  Some Filipino husbands and boyfriends go along with the scam hoping to get their share of money from the ordeal but some become very jealous and looking for revenge.

My wife and I know some Filipinas who have Filipino boyfriends and foreigner boyfriends too. Most of the foreigners are working in their home country.

Edited by Americano
  • Like 2

Thomas
Posted
Posted

That's very unfortunate for this man and his family.

I'm now adding "NEVER Do BUISNESS in the Philippines" to my growing list of what not to do there. We did have a small dream of owning and building our own resort there one day but I doubt that will ever happen as I think it would just be a nightmare in many ways and this is just another example. Of course it could work out and work well but do I want to take a chance of some staff member wanting payback for dismissal which may or may not have been the case in this shooting?

Well. Fireing crap employed can be a problem in any business where have employed,

but I suppose it's a MUCH BIGER risk to be murdered if:

/having business types, which are magnets for crminals (such as betting, ocker loans and sex bars.)

/starting a business, which make opponent business start going bad  (so much more safe to do export business, because such don't take customers from local opponents.)

/or chose a greedy business partner or wife, if being worth more dead than alive for them.

But that haven't scared me enough from planning to start business in Phili   :dance:    

(but it make me think rather much of security, so it surely make me think of WHERE to have it, and some how to place guard, business and my home compared to each other, perhaps even skip a business idea. I wouldn't want to start any within the business types with much criminals anyway, but perhaps I will skip too a business, which can annoy a local competitor.)

Americano
Posted
Posted

I have 2 very good friends who live in my town in England who have Filipina girlfriends who they send money to every month,

My ex and I know these girlfriends very well, both have boyfriends, One works in a bar and is a prostitute has 2 children, other has 1 child.

I have told my friends, But they just wont believe that their beautiful girlfriends would lie to them, They are blinded by the girls.

They are silly old fools, The girls show them a bit of affection and they are hooked., I have given my friends proof, But they still wont accept it...I give up.

Brock,

Many foreigners will never know what you and I are talking about unless they have an honest Filipina girlfriend or wife who will tell them the truth.  Dishonest people will lie for each other.  Two timing women is a big problem in the Philippines.

• Like 3

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

I had not heard about this until I just read this thread.  Very sad.  I may have met this guy last Xmas.  We stopped in the Blue Rock for a quick dinner and it was not crowded.  A couple of guys who appeared to be owners or managers were sitting nearby and checked on us to see how we like the food, etc.

It sounds like an ex-employee / save face situation to me, but that is just a best guess.

I used to work with (and manage) many Filipinos at Los Angeles airport and I witnessed this "save face" personality trait many times.  There was one guy who would casually tell you that he would bring a gun and shoot X person if Y happened.  This was before the enhanced airport security and he probably could have done it.

• Like 3

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

Thomas, I respect your point of view but do not agree. Having a business in Philippines is a foolish risk. I know first hand of several men who have learned that the hard way. In fact one is lucky to be alive.

We also know several men who have done business for years without a problem but the risk return ratio is off the chart.

• Like 2

Thomas
Posted
Posted

Thomas, I respect your point of view but do not agree. Having a business in Philippines is a foolish risk. I know first hand of several men who have learned that the hard way. In fact one is lucky to be alive.

We also know several men who have done business for years without a problem but the risk return ratio is off the chart.

((Well. Become off topic. I agree with you it's a big risk, but I still claim it's much LESS risk if avoid the business situations I wrote. My favorite business idea for the moment is starting some refining of farming products, which they produce anyway, somewhere where they don't have (enough) such refining yet. (E g in parts of Samar.) Then many suppliers WINN by geting more sell chances, and no excisting refining business there will lose, because there aren't any there  :) 

There are some GOOD enough earning foreigners examples too. E g one have started a refining business with a mashine costing 30 000 USD. According to his friend's values, earning very good. I believe he forgot some costs, but the result was good enough anyway to make the owner buy one more such mashine after just some months!

I need to start some business anyway, because otherwice I have to wait moving  :boohoo:  and I like challenges many others find "impossible"  :)    But I'm some scared of the risk some exports get stucked in the Phili custom of some odd reason!))