Aussie Executed

MikeB
Posted
Posted

Having a business in Philippines is a foolish risk.

In what sense, losing money or your life? If it's the latter, I think that's greatly exaggerated. What gets most guys killed is not "having a business in Philippines", but their own bad behavior. 

• Like 2

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

Having a business in Philippines is a foolish risk.

In what sense, losing money or your life? If it's the latter, I think that's greatly exaggerated. What gets most guys killed is not "having a business in Philippines", but their own bad behavior. 

I guess we agree to disagree on this topic. The risk of problems is much too high for me. On the other hand as I have said we know first hand of others who have done OK.

• Like 2

MikeB
Posted
Posted

There's risk in everything but the article identifies the man as the manager, not owner. It's a fallacy that everyone retires with a comfortable pension and a fat bank account, some people genuinely love the place they live and have to work. Some enjoy working. In most cases it's their personal lives that get them killed, not the fact that they own a business. Or it could be as mundane as a drunken argument about who's chicken is the better fighter.

• Like 3

Adventurer
Posted
Posted (edited)

Well I can see both sides to this argument over whether having a business in the Philippines is too risky. I'm leaning more to the side that it is too risky because life is all about opportunities and risks. How can you do business without risks or treading on someone toes unintentionally? Even if you are just an owner of a resort for example and you let a manager run it or even your Filipino wife which is common there you are still bound to get involved with dealing with local people along the line unless you run everything from abroad or at your Philippines home and never go out of the house.

If you want to do business there then there are really only 2 options that interest me, Exporting and running an online business. I will be doing the later but I will also consider exporting in the future too....

As for the posts about foreigners girlfriends having local boyfriends that they are really in love with,... yes I have also seen and heard of a number of girls that are doing that. One single mum with a child was a cousin of my ex. We stayed with her and she always got a big Western Union support payment each month from her older Englishman boyfriend. Then a few weeks after we moved in a local pinoy guy suddenly appeared and stayed with her for a few days. He was the father of the child and her actual REAL boyfriend. So yeah seen it first hand and heard about it many times. It could be YOU yes YOU, WAKE UP! ;)

Edited by Adventurer
  • Like 2

Mike S
Posted
Posted

And the story just keep getting weirder and weirder .........If you read that article you will find a lot of half truths ..... conjectures and outright lies ...... you are going to hire a man to be the general manager of your resort and you know nothing about him or what he did before coming to the Phils ...... yea right ..... but he knows enough to cast suspicions on his life here to imply that it was his love life that caused his death "as he was a man about town" and in no way did it involve the Bluerock Resort ...... course not ..... Hay is one of the owners what else would he say ..... and the reporter is in Oz not the Philippines ..... reports from here say he was shot in the back of the head .... Hay says he was shot in the temple ..... as far as taking him to Manila in a van that is a pretty good trip from Subic with a gun shot to your head from a .45 ..... but what ever ....

The tales from other boards especially the one I read has shut down most of the posts about it ...... as usually when it involves a bar owner or manager especially one from Oz as they are a pretty tight group and so only condolences can now be given unless it is OFFICIAL information ...... yea like that is going to happen .... much like the bar that caught fire and 3-4 people were killed including foreigners and girls .(never heard any more about that) .....   everything is now censored so the real truth will never come out only what they want you to know ....  unless of coarse you believe the media ...... :cheersty:

• Like 3

Thomas
Posted
Posted

As for the posts about foreigners girlfriends having local boyfriends that they are really in love with,... yes I have also seen and heard of a number of girls that are doing that. One single mum with a child was a cousin of my ex. We stayed with her and she always got a big Western Union support payment each month from her older Englishman boyfriend. Then a few weeks after we moved in a local pinoy guy suddenly appeared and stayed with her for a few days. He was the father of the child and her actual REAL boyfriend. So yeah seen it first hand and heard about it many times. It could be YOU yes YOU, WAKE UP! ;)

Yes, such is surely common,
BUT there are many single mums too, who have been "burned" by the fathers to the kids, leaving and don't pay any support for the child, often even when they are married!  In such cases the new man don't need to do much, still being found VERY GOOD in comparing   :dance:

--

Still - if avoid the most risky businesses and places, the TRAFFIC is the most dangerous anyway  :)

• Like 2

boring
Posted
Posted

I do business in Manila...but I'm just an accountant. If I hire a bad accountant and have to sack them...the worst that will probably happen is they might throw a calculator or pencil at me :D

I'm thinking the 'it's dangerous to do business in the Phils' argument might need to be looked at in terms of the type of business you are in. I can't see that there is any real risk when hiring white collar employees in a decent area of Manila. 

The most dangerous part of my business there is travelling from Melbourne to Eastwood! A combination of Philippine Airlines and Manila traffic scares the crap out of me every month :)

• Like 3

Mike S
Posted
Posted

the worst that will probably happen is they might throw a calculator or pencil at me

Don't kid yourself ..... here in the Phils you can hire someone to bump somebody off for p50,000 ..... a little over $1000 US ...... I have heard of it being cheaper but you get what you pay for ..... :mocking: :cheersty:

boring
Posted
Posted

the worst that will probably happen is they might throw a calculator or pencil at me

Don't kid yourself ..... here in the Phils you can hire someone to bump somebody off for p50,000 ..... a little over $1000 US ...... I have heard of it being cheaper but you get what you pay for ..... :mocking: :cheersty:

Based on their salary, it would have to be the cheaper option. You might read a story about an accountant who was stabbed to death by a hitman...sharp pencil found embedded in his neck when police arrived at the scene.

Turns out the staff couldn't afford a real hitman :D

• Like 3