Boracay

MikeB
Posted
Posted
Second time I went to Boracay was March or April, 2007. My new, pregnant, wife and I needed to escape the heat and hustle of Marikina, so decided on a whim to set sail to the BI (Boracay Island ;).
In what part of Marikina do you live? I always stay there in the guest house of my friend's place in Provident Village, about halfway between River Banks and the Marikina Sports Center. It's the one area of Manila that I am pretty familiar with. That barangay was pretty much wiped out by the flood a year ago - people killed, cars upside down. Very bad. He was insured and rebuilt but everyone else I know had no insurance, lost everything.

ekimswish
Posted
Posted
Second time I went to Boracay was March or April, 2007. My new, pregnant, wife and I needed to escape the heat and hustle of Marikina, so decided on a whim to set sail to the BI (Boracay Island ;).
In what part of Marikina do you live? I always stay there in the guest house of my friend's place in Provident Village, about halfway between River Banks and the Marikina Sports Center. It's the one area of Manila that I am pretty familiar with. That barangay was pretty much wiped out by the flood a year ago - people killed, cars upside down. Very bad. He was insured and rebuilt but everyone else I know had no insurance, lost everything.
My step-kids (12 and 10) stay in Marikina Heights, near Meralco, with their nanny, and grandparents stopping in. Luckily it's higher ground there, so the flood never reached them. It did destroy places where we have cousins staying. My father-in-law stays in a forest-like squatter area on a hill up beyond Champaca Street. My step-daughter sometimes has track practice at the sports center there. When we move back in November, we'll probably stop briefly in Marikina and then go on to Leyte. When the kids are done their school year - or earlier if we can pull strings - we'll move them with us. Hopefully we can cross paths sometime!

MikeB
Posted
Posted
My step-kids (12 and 10) stay in Marikina Heights, near Meralco, with their nanny, and grandparents stopping in. Luckily it's higher ground there, so the flood never reached them. It did destroy places where we have cousins staying. My father-in-law stays in a forest-like squatter area on a hill up beyond Champaca Street. My step-daughter sometimes has track practice at the sports center there. When we move back in November, we'll probably stop briefly in Marikina and then go on to Leyte. When the kids are done their school year - or earlier if we can pull strings - we'll move them with us. Hopefully we can cross paths sometime!
Absolutely. I run at the sports center too in the morning before it gets too hot. 10 pesos, can't beat it.

Jim Sibbick
Posted
Posted
Last night I was viewing videos on You tube about Boracay night life,how I wish I was 20 years younger.Anyone been there? Looks like a nice beach with white sand,not that brown stuff.
Yes but my trip was 1995 so no help to you what so ever in what it is like now.I have seen recent you tube videos too and they just disappointed me in how Boracay had changed for the worst.Alona Beach on Panglao Island is nice white sand too. It can be done as a day trip from Cebu City.Bounty Beach on Malapascua Island is white sand too but much harder to get to, time wise, than Boracay or Panglao Island.I plan to go to Panglao island and Malapascua island in December, if you are interested in tagging along.Regards; Jim

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
Last night I was viewing videos on You tube about Boracay night life,how I wish I was 20 years younger.Anyone been there? Looks like a nice beach with white sand,not that brown stuff.
Yes but my trip was 1995 so no help to you what so ever in what it is like now.I have seen recent you tube videos too and they just disappointed me in how Boracay had changed for the worst.Alona Beach on Panglao Island is nice white sand too. It can be done as a day trip from Cebu City.Bounty Beach on Malapascua Island is white sand too but much harder to get to, time wise, than Boracay or Panglao Island.I plan to go to Panglao island and Malapascua island in December, if you are interested in tagging along.Regards; Jim
I would be interested in tagging along Jim, can you wait till March though :1 (235):

Jim Sibbick
Posted
Posted
I would be interested in tagging along Jim, can you wait till March though :thats-funny:
Sorry, December is it, unless I win PowerballRegards; Jim