American Killed Inside His Coffee Shop(Ncr Area)

MikeB
Posted
Posted

With few exceptions, foreign governments have no legal jurisdiction in the local homicide of a private citizen. Has nothing to do with them "caring". When the dust settles (if it does) there will probably be some mundane reason like a cuckold husband or gambling debt and the victim just happens to be a foreigner. These things are usually self-inflicted. Some of the people commenting should read the daily newspaper.   

• Like 1

Beachboy
Posted
Posted (edited)

For whatever it is worth, the State Department reported 10 US citizens murdered in the Philippines in 2012, along with 4 suicides and 7 deaths due to traffic fatalities.  http://www.travel.state.gov/law/family_issues/death/death_600.html  This site allows you to compare the Phils to other countries.

Over 600,000 Americans visited the Phils last year and there are 300,000 American citizens living in the Phils, according to the State Department.  They don't distinguish between citizens of Filipino  ancestry and those without.   

Edited by Beachboy
  • Like 3

joeatmanila
Posted
Posted

Well one of the biggest reasons why Filipinos walk right up to a foreigner and shoot him is because they know a foreigner is not allowed to own a gun here ..... so why be afraid you might get shot if you know damn good and well he will not be able to defend himself ..... pure and simple ...... you can say what you want about gun control either fore or against but if you knew the guy you were gonna shot MIGHT have a gun and shoot you you would think twice before boldly walking up and shooting him ...... now I'm not going to debate the age old pros or cons of gun control because you will never change someones ideas on the subject ..... and all you do is p*ss others off and accomplish nothing .... but until something is done to stop these brazen acts foreigners will continue to be killed for what ever reason ..... even dipping your wick where you shouldn't to me is no reason to kill some one .... IMHO ..... :cheersty:

as for gun...they do not know if you have one or not. They might do know the law and they are sure a tourist will not have a gun but for us is different. It can be under our wife's name :). In my local community I go to the shooting range quite often, locals, police and everyone else see me shooting my wife's named gun .45 Glock 21 and borrowing other machine guns or riffles to shoot with for fun. How do you think they would plan to kill me (if they wanted to) ? Exactly the same as this poor guy in an unsuspicious time with a couple of bullets in the head from behind. If they were sure I do not have a gun perhaps they would try to brake in my house in the night and chop me off to pieces....if dogs wouldn't bite them, alarms wouldn't sound, cctv wouldn't record them, and mostly if I wouldn't wake up :)

Bruce
Posted
Posted

For whatever it is worth, the State Department reported 10 US citizens murdered in the Philippines in 2012, along with 4 suicides and 7 deaths due to traffic fatalities.  http://www.travel.state.gov/law/family_issues/death/death_600.html  This site allows you to compare the Phils to other countries.

Over 600,000 Americans visited the Phils last year and there are 300,000 American citizens living in the Phils, according to the State Department.  They don't distinguish between citizens of Filipino  ancestry and those without.   

That is 4-5 days in Chicago and maybe 2-3 weeks in Florida. I know Jimmy the Greek is dead, but I think he would like those odds.

• Like 2

Thomas
Posted
Posted

Oh!!! Interesting. I thought traffic accidents were a much biger part of the deaths.

bootleultras
Posted
Posted

Shame this is still happening overall & for what reason we could probably debate for a long time, we all know there are some who are placing themselves at risk by what they do over here, but Im sure there are many also who are totally innocent; again that could be said for most countries. I still recall the 2 young british tourists shot as they begged for there lives in vain being shot by a teenager in Florida I think, cannot seem to find the number of tourists killed in the US for 2012 but I definitely remember at least 4, Im sure that is not too off putting for most expats over there and still shouldnt be over here, remember this is still a third world country in comparison where one is supposed to expect more crime?

• Like 1

sjp52
Posted
Posted (edited)

In the last four years of the time I have spent here I have read about quite a few murders, I don,t think it is any worse than any where else but the thing that bothers me is most get away with it here. Yes we are targeted because we are foreigners and every one thinks we are rich and defenseless ( no gun allowed ) but I have also read about quite a few rich Filipinos getting wacked too and most are business owners. There are 4 things that will make you a target for these Thungs and 2 you cant do any thing about ( Being a Foreigner and luck ). The other 2 are having a successful business and your demeanor. If you are a happy go lucky guy and dont take things out on people when your having a bad day and treat people kindly and with a smile that will bring your odds down some. If you do not need to have a bussiness in the Philippines then that will help bring it down too.

You have to remember one thing, Here a foreigner getting killed is a big deal for the media and will always get big headlines compared to the many Filipino who are also being killed. So it seems worse than it really is. Dont get me wrong, it bothers me when ever I read about a foreigner getting killed but it will not deter me from spending time in the Philippines

If you come to the Philippines to retire and live a truely peacful and care free life chances are you will find it here.  There are only three things in the Philippines that are for sure if you retire here and they are Death, Kano Taxes and bleeping hot weather

Edited by sjp52
  • Like 5

FlyAway
Posted
Posted

Even if you are carrying some sort of weapon, someone please tell me how you are going to use it to defend yourself when the attacker shoots you in the back? No way you can even see them coming. Why not choose where you sit more carefully. Keep your back against a wall and have a commanding view of the area. Pay attention to entrances and exits.

• Like 5

sjp52
Posted
Posted

Even if you are carrying some sort of weapon, someone please tell me how you are going to use it to defend yourself when the attacker shoots you in the back? No way you can even see them coming. Why not choose where you sit more carefully. Keep your back against a wall and have a commanding view of the area. Pay attention to entrances and exits.

If hes got a gun and you don,t your toast no matter where you sit. Lets face it if some one wants you dead, Your dead. Best to not having any one want you dead.

• Like 3

MikeB
Posted
Posted

Why not choose where you sit more carefully. Keep your back against a wall and have a commanding view of the area. Pay attention to entrances and exits.

Just how I want to spend my retirement. 

• Like 3