Best City For Expats Is? Cebu Or Manila Or Elsewhere?

CebuJoe
Posted
Posted

I am outside Iloilo.  I enjoy it but still can't get internet at the house - hell they can't get the satellite TV to work!  I was going for Cebu in the planning stages.  But a friend introduced me to a girl on Panay island and here I am.  I can't recommend it for internet connectivity.  But I like it.

I have never been to Manilla but all I hear is bad things... I really enjoyed Cebu.  And where I was had good internet but that varies by neighborhood I expect.   I stayed near IT park and internet was everywhere.

I am curious was there anything wrong with Thailand? 

@Tuka Ram: Nothing wrong with Thailand, so long as you don't mind your misses and you being limited in conversation to pidgeon English and logistics (what you ate today, where you been, where you go, all in simple present tense).  Then again, with some of my English speaking girlfriends, the conversation never really got much more deep than that!

Thanks for all the members replying so far for candididate places to visit.  Here are my quick and dirty 'artist's impressions', and keep in mind I've not visited any of these places yet: 

Mike J: "Dumaguete and Davao"--the first place reminds me of where I am now (as does Tuka Ram's Iloilo), the second place is Kidnapping Central, no?  Also Islamic people, while very nice (I'm originally from the east coast USA, but haven't been back home in about a decade except for business trips), are a bit more conservative so yet another hurdle to overcome I suppose--in most places interracial relationships are frowned upon, and that includes liberal places like NYC USA and others I'm familiar with, much south PH I would imagine (with exceptions, I know, I know);

boring says: Eastwood (Manila), while bootleultras suggests: Fort Bonafacio or Makati.  I have been to Makati, and I might be somewhat out of place there, since everybody will be at work, I'll be hanging out somewhere like the Greenfield mall or MOA (I work at night, online, as my clients are in the USA), then visiting expat people and their hangers on during 'happy hour'?  Hmmm... might be a bit too much like being a tourist, and with so many people I might get lost in the crowds?  But I might have to suck it up and like it, as it seems to me about 30M people (I am guessing, but it's typically about 30% of the population) live in "Greater Manila" so perhaps this is where I will end up?

Softail and earthdome suggest Tagaytay and Baguio, respectively.  These are great "Unesco World Heritage" sites--and that's the problem.  I'll be surrounded by middle-aged folk (like me, respect your elders!) and backpacking student tourists from Japan, Korea, Australia, Germany and the USA, but the "permanent residents" of these places will be sparse.  Ever visit a 'resort town' in the western hemisphere?  Same thing.  The "locals" are quite few in number, outnumbered by transient tourists 10:1 or more.  The chances of my finding a nice girl will be limited to the problem child of some crafty merchant, not to mention said locals will be wondering why I haven't left town after a week like every other "Canuck".  And during the 'rainy season' (I've yet to experience one here, but have in Thailand) these places will be ghost towns.  I'd have as much luck picking up girls meeting nice people at a bus station in the USA.

But I will check this thread for more answers, and assuming I don't get kicked off this site by the moderator I will post my 'impressions' when and if I visit these places, which I intend to! (with the exception of the two places in the Visayas, since I bet they are like my present place).

BTW, I find getting around PH a problem--they don't use airports like in some countries, but overland transportation, which can be a long, bumpy ride. 

Thanks again!

CJ

MacBubba
Posted
Posted
Eastwood is an upmarket nice spot in Manila with a similar feel to the Fort and Makati. But I wouldn't want to live here unless I was working here.

My wife's family moved to Eastwood in the 60's.  She says it was a great place to grow up - you are not too far from any of the best schools. Very decent neighbors.  She can't think of a single one she would avoid.

Markham
Posted
Posted (edited)

Mike J: "Dumaguete and Davao"--the first place reminds me of where I am now (as does Tuka Ram's Iloilo), the second place is Kidnapping Central, no?  Also Islamic people, while very nice (I'm originally from the east coast USA, but haven't been back home in about a decade except for business trips), are a bit more conservative so yet another hurdle to overcome I suppose--in most places interracial relationships are frowned upon, and that includes liberal places like NYC USA and others I'm familiar with, much south PH I would imagine (with exceptions, I know, I know);

You really should carry-out some research before making such sweeping statements. I live in Davao and as well as being the world's largest city in terms of land area, it is (probably) the safest city in the country for Filipinos and foreigners alike. There are a few Muslims living here, there are also Buddists, Hindus and INCs just as there are everywhere in the Philippines - so what?

Softail and earthdome suggest Tagaytay and Baguio, respectively.  These are great "Unesco World Heritage" sites--and that's the problem.  I'll be surrounded by middle-aged folk (like me, respect your elders!) and backpacking student tourists from Japan, Korea, Australia, Germany and the USA, but the "permanent residents" of these places will be sparse.  Ever visit a 'resort town' in the western hemisphere?  Same thing.  The "locals" are quite few in number, outnumbered by transient tourists 10:1 or more.  The chances of my finding a nice girl will be limited to the problem child of some crafty merchant, not to mention said locals will be wondering why I haven't left town after a week like every other "Canuck".  And during the 'rainy season' (I've yet to experience one here, but have in Thailand) these places will be ghost towns.  I'd have as much luck picking up girls meeting nice people at a bus station in the USA.

And you speak from the vast experience of not actually having visited either place; incredible.

Since you require "high-speed" internet, by which I assume you mean greater than 1 MBit/sec, your choices are fairly limited to Tier 1 and Tier 2 cities -- ie those others have mentioned in their replies to you. Or, here's a thought, why not move to Cambodia?

Edited by Markham
  • Like 4

SubicSteve
Posted
Posted

It all depends on what your looking for.  Everyone has different needs and comfort levels.  Do you want to live with Filipinos, jeepneys, trikes, dogs, roosters and the like or do you want to live in a quiet place with restrictions?

On base in Subic is like living back in the States.  Nice houses, quiet, no jeepneys or trikes, good infrastructure, lots of police and rules.  Close to beaches, malls, bars, expats and airports.  Perfect for some, a living hell for others.  Depends on how you want to live.

• Like 2

Thomas
Posted
Posted
Mike J: "Dumaguete and Davao"--the first place reminds me of where I am now (as does Tuka Ram's Iloilo), the second place is Kidnapping Central, no? 

No. The mayor has made so all bad guys are killed   :hystery:     so, as Markham says, now it's among the most safe.   The Davao CITY. 

I believe the most south part of Davao PROVINCE is still restricted (it was around a year ago) not allowed to travel for foreigners, but perhaps it has ended after the piece signed with muslim guerilla?

Davao is in SouthEAST. The "Kidnapping Central" is Zamboanga in SouthWEST. 

CebuJoe
Posted
Posted

Eastwood is an upmarket nice spot in Manila with a similar feel to the Fort and Makati. But I wouldn't want to live here unless I was working here.

My wife's family moved to Eastwood in the 60's.  She says it was a great place to grow up - you are not too far from any of the best schools. Very decent neighbors.  She can't think of a single one she would avoid.

Thanks.  When and if I have a family here, I'll consider Eastwood! 

CJ

CebuJoe
Posted
Posted

You really should carry-out some research before making such sweeping statements. I live in Davao and as well as being the world's largest city in terms of land area, it is (probably) the safest city in the country for Filipinos and foreigners alike. There are a few Muslims living here, there are also Buddists, Hindus and INCs just as there are everywhere in the Philippines - so what?

And you speak from the vast experience of not actually having visited either place; incredible.

Since you require "high-speed" internet, by which I assume you mean greater than 1 MBit/sec, your choices are fairly limited to Tier 1 and Tier 2 cities -- ie those others have mentioned in their replies to you. Or, here's a thought, why not move to Cambodia?

Hi Markham--thanks for the input.  If I carry out research I'll post here, but this was by definition a post on suggestions.  I'm not considering Davao due to turbulence in the past (I'm glad to see it's all over now, though I seriously doubt it's safer than where I'm at now in the Visayas, perhaps you are comparing it to some gang-infested barangay in Manila?)  As for "so what" I suppose you are perhaps trying to be funny (Cambodia for high-speed internet?  really?) or PC, or fork the thread.  In Thailand for example, and in Burma, and in Lebanon, and in the Balkans, and in Turkey, and in northern India, and in Tibet, and in Africa (Sudan, Kenya, etc), and in Israel, and in most places where two religions coexist, with the exception of the USA and perhaps the UK (pace northern Ireland) you get problems.  A sociologist even outlined the reasons why in a paper I saw that had variables akin to the famous Lanchester equations--but let's not fork this thread but keep this on the kettle for another day! :-)   CJ

PS--have you been to Cagayan de Oro and what did you think of it?

CebuJoe
Posted
Posted

It all depends on what your looking for.  Everyone has different needs and comfort levels.  Do you want to live with Filipinos, jeepneys, trikes, dogs, roosters and the like or do you want to live in a quiet place with restrictions?

On base in Subic is like living back in the States.  Nice houses, quiet, no jeepneys or trikes, good infrastructure, lots of police and rules.  Close to beaches, malls, bars, expats and airports.  Perfect for some, a living hell for others.  Depends on how you want to live.

Thanks SubicSteve!  This was invaluable.  I never would have guessed this to be true, and I appreciate your input.  I am scratching Subic from my list of places to visit since I want to be with that noisy rooster and polluting jeepney!  CJ

CebuJoe
Posted
Posted

Mike J: "Dumaguete and Davao"--the first place reminds me of where I am now (as does Tuka Ram's Iloilo), the second place is Kidnapping Central, no?

No. The mayor has made so all bad guys are killed   :hystery:     so, as Markham says, now it's among the most safe.   The Davao CITY. 

I believe the most south part of Davao PROVINCE is still restricted (it was around a year ago) not allowed to travel for foreigners, but perhaps it has ended after the piece signed with muslim guerilla?

Davao is in SouthEAST. The "Kidnapping Central" is Zamboanga in SouthWEST. 

OK got it!  Thanks!  Any input on Cagayan de Oro appreciated.  Also I am adding Damaguete to my list of places to visit.  A guy who lives down there in Damaguete says to avoid Mindanao (is that just the NW city or the entire island?  I'm always confused but I assume the former), which is "Kidnapping Central" (my words but his intent). He may just be engaging in hyperbole however, but I'm not going to find out the hard way.  CJ

CebuJoe
Posted
Posted (edited)

Sorry CJ, it took us nearly 15 minutes to approve your post above.  We have moderators that live in all

time zones and we try to monitor and approve new members' post as soon as possible.  If you think that

this forum is heavily moderated......well, you have the right to express your opinion.  And we have ours.

Right off the bat, you are coming off questioning on how we do business here.  Our forum owner Tom

(JGF, Boss Man from Australia) has expressed his opinion as well and is well respected here.

Have a nice day sir -- Jake

No need to appologize Jake--I don't care.  I find this site informative however, and if you don't kick me off it I will post on occasion. BTW I still am not seeing my posts "in real time" but get a bubble that says "your posts must be approved by a moderator"  Cheers,  CJ

Edited by MikeB
Removed name of other forum