Best City For Expats Is? Cebu Or Manila Or Elsewhere?

JJReyes
Posted
Posted
I am Joe Cluless and I walk around the  Philippines with  a  Ben Franklin glued to my Forehead and  my ATM pin #  printed on my T - Shirt.  I hope meet a good girl in the PH  and avoid kidnappings  can anyone help me ?

Good disguise. Everyone will think the Ben Franklin is a fake and so is the ATM pin number on your t-shirt. The girls will avoid you because someone that desperate means they have no money. 

Fast&Furious
Posted
Posted

guess dressing with suit and tie is not the way to go anytime there...huh?

• Like 1

JJReyes
Posted
Posted

It depends. Women, especially desperate women looking for a husband, have a way to determine if your attire signifies wealth or not. I don't know what are the telltale signs. Maybe dressing like a peacock means there won't be any money left for them. 

I have been married for more than 42 years to my first and only love. It will remain that way for the rest of our lives. Others are more experienced with the dating game.

• Like 1

GregZ
Posted
Posted

GregZ, on 25 Jun 2013 - 10:19 AM, said: The area along the coast is 'safe' according to them, but they were concerned that I wanted to live up in the mountains a bit, near Claveria. But isn't that NPA, NOT a muslim guerilla? I know NPA attacked a POLICE station NorthEast of that mountain rather recently. NPA normaly DON'T attack foreigners (can attack multinational companies.) SOME say they demand "rebell tax" but I don't know if that's true or just false propaganda. In some regions the neighbourhood is MORE SAFE BECAUSE of NPA, they doing a BETTER police work than the police... I have just a litle local knowledge from there, but that's one of the regions I think of as possible alternatives settling at rural (OK safety I BELIEVE, land type I like, and low land prices.)

Yes, Thomas, I believe you are correct.  I don't pretend to know much on those that misbehave so didn't try... Thanks for clearing it up for everyone.  Even though the NPA are not targeting foreigners normally there is still unintended casualty stuff to be aware of.  At this time it is not enough of a concern to stop me from living there.  The Philippine government also moved a military unit into that area and I understand that quieted things down a lot.

• Like 1

Daydreamer
Posted
Posted
I don't know how many times I need to say this: Davao is probably the safest city in the Philippines, for Filipinos and foreigners alike. Quite a few members of this forum live here: none of us "packs heat", drive around in armour-plated vehicles or have personal security.

I'm in here in Zamboanga walking on eggshells and not sunshine (security alert for the entire peninsula), planing on getting my black booty somewhere safer like Cebu, now got new destination...Davao thanks needed that heads up

• Like 1

Fast&Furious
Posted
Posted

It depends. Women, especially desperate women looking for a husband, have a way to determine if your attire signifies wealth or not. I don't know what are the telltale signs. Maybe dressing like a peacock means there won't be any money left for them. 

I have been married for more than 42 years to my first and only love. It will remain that way for the rest of our lives. Others are more experienced with the dating game.

Man...you are lucky!

They normally don't stay 42 days next to me...

• Like 1

Curley
Posted
Posted

I can't really give a sensible answer to this question, I did at one time think that Davao would be the place for me but have come to realise that I am not a city person nor would I want to live in a condo or a sub-division. A small house with some land around me, good views, peace and quiet, somewhere to grow my own fruit/veg and fish plus somewhere to buy other essentials once a month within an hours travel will do me nicely thanks.

Thomas
Posted
Posted

GregZ, on 25 Jun 2013 - 10:19 AM, said: The area along the coast is 'safe' according to them, but they were concerned that I wanted to live up in the mountains a bit, near Claveria. But isn't that NPA, NOT a muslim guerilla? I know NPA attacked a POLICE station NorthEast of that mountain rather recently. NPA normaly DON'T attack foreigners (can attack multinational companies.) SOME say they demand "rebell tax" but I don't know if that's true or just false propaganda. In some regions the neighbourhood is MORE SAFE BECAUSE of NPA, they doing a BETTER police work than the police... I have just a litle local knowledge from there, but that's one of the regions I think of as possible alternatives settling at rural (OK safety I BELIEVE, land type I like, and low land prices.)

Yes, Thomas, I believe you are correct.  I don't pretend to know much on those that misbehave so didn't try... Thanks for clearing it up for everyone.  Even though the NPA are not targeting foreigners normally there is still unintended casualty stuff to be aware of.  At this time it is not enough of a concern to stop me from living there.  The Philippine government also moved a military unit into that area and I understand that quieted things down a lot.

Not sure if it make it more safe if it's a government military unit stationed close  :)   

More forces add risks for civilians to end up in crossfire. 

I'm in here in Zamboanga walking on eggshells and not sunshine (security alert for the entire peninsula), planing on getting my black booty somewhere safer like Cebu, now got new destination...Davao thanks needed that heads up

Yes, sure better stay out of Zamboanga. (Except perhaps it's OK in the most north part around Dapitan.) Not odd they sell farms very cheap in Zamboanga... 

I am not a city person nor would I want to live in a condo or a sub-division. A small house with some land around me, good views, peace and quiet, somewhere to grow my own fruit/veg and fish plus somewhere to buy other essentials once a month within an hours travel will do me nicely thanks.
Similar as I.

(Except I don't bother about fish, and I want a big - but uggly - house, so I have space for all my hobbies  :)

• 2 weeks later...
Daydreamer
Posted
Posted
And to keep this on topic I would like to add that Palawan is a nice little tourist town but they can't keep the power on so I would not live there ha ha.

That's nice to know, because I was thinking of moving there :thumbsup:

Daydreamer
Posted
Posted
Hey TR, he reminds me of my morning dumps.....now that's refreshing!

Well, maybe refreshing (if you like the sound of ploop, plop, flush :hystery: )I was think more like early sunday morning comic strip.....Andy Capp or Heathcliff :tiphat: