Expat Generosity

retired
Posted
Posted

As most would no doubt agree Mr Thomas Hunt's situation here in Cagayan De Oro leaves little room to see anything positive at least on the surface .I would just like to mention however that is not the case in at least one respect and that has been the generosity of the expat community in reaching out to assist Mr Hunt both financially and in terms of support through visit .Everyone has their own opinion of course in regards to whether or not they would choose to help someone in a situation like Mr Hunt's and that's understandable . But putting moral judgements and personal choices aside the one thing that has been very positive is the monetary donations from people both here and abroad that do not know Mr Hunt personally . Individual donations have been in amounts of $400+ , $500 and even one committed of $800 . Granted , those amounts are relative to a persons personal financial situation but the point is there are expats out there willing to assist a fellow expat . I for one find that encouraging and a positive example of what can and does occur in the Philippines .And perhaps also encouraging to others that might be considering some sort of Expat Assistance Program .

Markham
Posted
Posted

Thanks Alan!I hope that with these larger donations it will be easier to ensure that Tommy Hunt receives his daily medication and that he will soon be out of ICU.But I wonder, will the US Navy Veterans' Association live up to their mission statement and come to Mr Hunt's assistance?As any fundraiser will tell you, it is easier by far to raise money for a charity, or a cause, when the potential donors have an identifiable point of reference; the challenge is to raise funds when there is no immediate need for those funds.Mark

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
Thanks Alan!I hope that with these larger donations it will be easier to ensure that Tommy Hunt receives his daily medication and that he will soon be out of ICU.But I wonder, will the US Navy Veterans' Association live up to their mission statement and come to Mr Hunt's assistance?As any fundraiser will tell you, it is easier by far to raise money for a charity, or a cause, when the potential donors have an identifiable point of reference; the challenge is to raise funds when there is no immediate need for those funds.Mark
I wonder what will happen in Thomas Hunts situation if he needs on going care and medication for months/ years. If he can not get back to the states or is never going to be well enough to travel, will the donations dry up from expats?If they did where would he end up? :SugarwareZ-037:

retired
Posted
Posted

Just a quick update on Mr Hunt . Daisy posted a rather detailed listing of monies received and how they were spent on "another forum" last evening . Unfortunately she is on the go so much she doesn't have time to cross post so hope no one feels slighted .Doctors give Mr Hunt 50 - 50 chance of making it . Given his medical issues i don't know if that will allow him to be transported back to US soil but expats and others in US are working on that angle . Hawaii is apparently coordinating this effort and has requested Mr Hunt's doctor in CDO to call them to discuss his situation so there is hope .Mr Hunt does seem to have a strong will according to the ICU nurses so maybe it's that " Don't give up the ship " Navy thing in action . Let's hope so .

daisy
Posted
Posted
As most would no doubt agree Mr Thomas Hunt's situation here in Cagayan De Oro leaves little room to see anything positive at least on the surface .I would just like to mention however that is not the case in at least one respect and that has been the generosity of the expat community in reaching out to assist Mr Hunt both financially and in terms of support through visit .Everyone has their own opinion of course in regards to whether or not they would choose to help someone in a situation like Mr Hunt's and that's understandable . But putting moral judgements and personal choices aside the one thing that has been very positive is the monetary donations from people both here and abroad that do not know Mr Hunt personally . Individual donations have been in amounts of $400+ , $500 and even one committed of $800 . Granted , those amounts are relative to a persons personal financial situation but the point is there are expats out there willing to assist a fellow expat . I for one find that encouraging and a positive example of what can and does occur in the Philippines .And perhaps also encouraging to others that might be considering some sort of Expat Assistance Program .
The 500 dollars didn't arrive yet although i got an email that he is really going to send it. The 800 dollars it is actually 25K pesos... YES these rae lots of money for one one person to donate.........so amazing indeed how hearts are touched by giving without expecting anything in return.Thank you, as we say it in our language "Ang Ginoo ra mahibalo magbayad sa inyo gihimo"