Sticker Shock

chimellie
Posted
Posted

The guy I use for shipping Balik boxes told me he can ship TV's any size to Cebu from the US, he quoted me 200 USD to ship a 42" LCD. No taxes because it's a gift. He told me he has done it before no problem. I can get a 42" Samsung or Sharp LCD TV for about $700 plus $200 for shipping, if I bought it in Cebu it would cost $2000, I would save about $1100.

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted
The guy I use for shipping Balik boxes told me he can ship TV's any size to Cebu from the US, he quoted me 200 USD to ship a 42" LCD. No taxes because it's a gift. He told me he has done it before no problem. I can get a 42" Samsung or Sharp LCD TV for about $700 plus $200 for shipping, if I bought it in Cebu it would cost $2000, I would save about $1100.
I hate to tell you Chi, but in the long run it might be cheaper to just buy one here.... We bought a 32" Samsung here and it worked fine the first year but the second year when we came back, it stopped working...... One of the repairmen said that the humidity here is one of the main problems and all the power glitches is the other killer...... For all I know about fixing them, he could have sold me a bridge.......Anyway, they had to order the part from Manila and I asked what would have happened if it was made in the USA and ran on 110 volts, he said that he did not think the parts would be the same, but really had no idea what part would have to be ordered even if they were because the part numbers would surely be different.If anyone is planning to do that, then I would suggest asking the company how long a wait it would be to get it fixed should it break, and would parts be available where you will be moving to....... Most likely it would never break but if it did, it seems they might not know how to fix it here and it might have to be shipped back to the states or sit around until you find a real old fashioned repairman who knew how to do more than just change parts.

Mike S
Posted
Posted

Yup .... I forgot about the voltage difference Lee ...... would have to be on a transformer and if the transformer screwed up .... and they do ..... not sure if it would shut down or get zapped with a surge ...... more than likely it would just not work at all ....... and yes the repair thing would be something else to consider ...... Thanks Chi ........ let me look into it as far as getting one ...... don't want one that big ...... 27 to 32 is plenty big enough ......

tom_shor
Posted
Posted
I hate to tell you Chi, but in the long run it might be cheaper to just buy one here.... We bought a 32" Samsung here and it worked fine the first year but the second year when we came back, it stopped working...... One of the repairmen said that the humidity here is one of the main problems and all the power glitches is the other killer...... For all I know about fixing them, he could have sold me a bridge.......Anyway, they had to order the part from Manila and I asked what would have happened if it was made in the USA and ran on 110 volts, he said that he did not think the parts would be the same, but really had no idea what part would have to be ordered even if they were because the part numbers would surely be different.If anyone is planning to do that, then I would suggest asking the company how long a wait it would be to get it fixed should it break, and would parts be available where you will be moving to....... Most likely it would never break but if it did, it seems they might not know how to fix it here and it might have to be shipped back to the states or sit around until you find a real old fashioned repairman who knew how to do more than just change parts.
The main difference would be in the main power supply. To step down from 220vac to whatever DC voltage the Chips use. Usually 15, 5 or 3.5 vdc Sometimes 28vac. These are pretty standard worldwide so most likely only the power supply would be different. Actually these days many are manufactured that can use 220 or 110VAC. Check the stats on the unit to see.

Mike S
Posted
Posted

Geeeeez .... from semiconductors to elephants ...... you never cease to amaze me Tom S ......... hahahahaha .......

chimellie
Posted
Posted

I agree with Tom 100% here, most semiconductor chips including microprocessors run on DC voltage, most likely 5, 12,15 or 28 volts which converted from internal power supply whether input is 110 or 220 .Lee is also correct about the humidity and unreliable power in Cebu can affect the life of the TV . Thanks Lee

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted
I agree with Tom 100% here, most semiconductor chips including microprocessors run on DC voltage, most likely 5, 12,15 or 28 volts which converted from internal power supply whether input is 110 or 220 .Lee is also correct about the humidity and unreliable power in Cebu can affect the life of the TV . Thanks Lee
Chi, while the parts may run on the same power and the power supply would of course be different, my point is that I believe the part numbers and model numbers of the TV's would probably be different and that most techs would not take a chance and put in a local part into a USA TV unless they were real techs and not just part changers, which most repairmen nowadays are. Prices are coming down each year we visit and deals may be available in Hong Kong, where the parts would most likely be the same. Duty IMO is going to be the killer if caught bringing them in.

Mike S
Posted
Posted

Yes the humidity is like back in Florida and can really screw up your electronics ..... Lee has the additional problem of being gone from Cebu for so many months and his electronic not being able to be used makes for additional problems ...... like other things .... if you don't use it ... you loose it ....... :rolleyes: :D

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
Chi, while the parts may run on the same power and the power supply would of course be different, my point is that I believe the part numbers and model numbers of the TV's would probably be different and that most techs would not take a chance and put in a local part into a USA TV unless they were real techs and not just part changers, which most repairmen nowadays are. Prices are coming down each year we visit and deals may be available in Hong Kong, where the parts would most likely be the same. Duty IMO is going to be the killer if caught bringing them in.
I'm not so sure about parts, my understanding is that most electronics,TV etc are made in Asia or at least the parts are,perhaps check the brand and see where it is actually made.Surge protectors would be a good idea for all electrical appliances.

Mike S
Posted
Posted

Your right Tom ...... the US used to only have one company that made TV's .... but I think they went under or were bought up by someone else ....... surprising that as most are made in Asia they don't just put a switch on the back like computers where you could switch from 110 to 220 ....... but then you would always get some idiot that wouldn't read the instructions and fry his set ...... so guess it is fool proof by just doing what they are doing ......