Taxi Fare From Cebu Airport And How Not To Get Ripped Off When Taking One.

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted

Taxi fare from Cebu airport and how not to get ripped off when taking one.I thought I would share this info with others, in the hope of helping them to not get ripped off........ My wife and I arrived at Cebu Mactan today for the umpteenth time, and I decided to do a test. My wife and I only had two carry on backpacks and one small suitcase because we were arriving from Cagayan de Oro, so I started to ask how much they wanted to charge us every time someone asked if we wanted a taxi.......... The rates varied but were always way more than they should be since a taxi from there to the Capitol site or from the Capitol site to there, has only been from a low of p162.50 and to a high of p187.50 on the meter this year and depending on trafffic and if the meter might possibly be a little fast, so in other words no one should have to pay more than p200 at most unless they want to, or if you have someone wait for them and pick them up at the airport, such as Danny Noy or one of his workers, and then you have to expect to pay a little extra for the convenience of having someone friendly waiting there for you when you arrive.When arriving at Mactan, go out the doors and you will find yourself facing another building.......... Walk to the left until you are able to cross the street to that building and then continue in the same direction you were originally heading and until you get to the end of that building........ At the end you will find a staircase which goes up, take that staircase and follow the path around and you will find yourself on the top departure level, then continue to the right and back basically in the direction you had come from, or if you are pulling big luggage, you can continue to the end of the road past the stairs and not go up the stairs and then make a right turn and follow the road around and it will take you to the same place. Once up on that level, continue until you get to the place taxis drop off departing passengers and if anyone asks you along the way if you want a taxi before you get there, ask how much and if it is more that p200 to the Robinsons or Capitol area, keep walking and wait until you get to the departure area, and then wait for a taxi, they will beep at you and when they stop and you open the back door of one be sure to ask how much before getting in, or ask meter lang noy if the driver is older than you or meter lang dong, pronounced dawng if he is younger. that way they will know you know your way around or have been here before and are not a tourist per say........ As long as he agrees to use the meter get in and if not, go on to the next one or negotiate your own deal.......IMO they will also be less likely to take the long way if they think you know your way around. Of course if you are going some place else, the fare will be more or less and IMO the meter talk will still be your best bet, unless you plan to go somewhere far and then try to negotiate your best deal over the meter based on just how far it will be........ I have known people to also negotiate deals under the meter but IMO, you should have pity on a hard working taxi driver and pay him a fair price......... I usually give them at least p200 when going to or from the airport from our condo because they might not get another fare on the way back....... I also tip or not tip, based on how he acts toward myself and my wife and I then tell them that the extra is because they were nice and because they were honest and did not try to rip me off. This is all just my opinion from my own personal experience, and it is up to each person to do what they feel is best.

• Like 1

Markham
Posted
Posted

Sorry Lee, your directions are a bit wrong and overly-complicated. Here's the simple version :lol:Arriving on an international flight

1. Having collected your bag, proceed to the exit where your claim tags will be checked.
  2. Cross the road in front of you and take the ramp which is on your right to the upper level.
  3. At the top of the ramp, there will be a door in front of you. This leads to the domestic pre-security lobby.
  4. Once inside the lobby, veer left and go through the exit doors.
  5. Outside the terminal building, turn left and walk approximately 70 metres to the taxi control point where you board your taxi.

Arriving on a domestic flight

1. Having collected your bag, proceed to the exit where your claim tags will be checked.
  2. Turn left on exiting the arrivals hall and walk briskly past the taxi touts and through the barrier ahead of you.
  3. Turn left and cross the road.
  4. Take the steps (2 metres to your right) up to the taxi control point where you board your taxi.

Simple innit! :SugarwareZ-037:

• Like 1

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted

Mark, thanks for your short version. Whatever works best for travelers.

• 7 months later...
MikeB
Posted
Posted
Sorry Lee, your directions are a bit wrong and overly-complicated. Here's the simple version smile.gifArriving on an international flight
  2. Cross the road in front of you and take the ramp which is on your right to the upper level.
  3. At the top of the ramp, there will be a door in front of you. This leads to the domestic pre-security lobby.
  5. Outside the terminal building, turn left and walk approximately 70 metres to the taxi control point where you board your taxi.

2. Turn left on exiting the arrivals hall and walk briskly past the taxi touts and through the barrier ahead of you.
  4. Take the steps (2 metres to your right) up to the taxi control point where you board your taxi.

Simple innit! biggrin.gif

I agree, these directions are simpler (no offense, Lee). The 1st directions had me totally confused. I've only been there twice but I don't remember it being that complicated. I plan to be there 2nd week of Feb and I'll give it a try. Thanks!

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
Sorry Lee, your directions are a bit wrong and overly-complicated. Here's the simple version smile.gifArriving on an international flight

I agree, these directions are simpler (no offense, Lee). The 1st directions had me totally confused. I've only been there twice but I don't remember it being that complicated. I plan to be there 2nd week of Feb and I'll give it a try. Thanks!
The only place that any tags were checked for me were at Davao airport,never in Cebu?? anyone else had their luggage tags checked??

johnb
Posted
Posted

The only place that any tags were checked for me were at Davao airport,never in Cebu?? anyone else had their luggage tags checked??
I've had my luggage tags checked everytime

MikeB
Posted
Posted

I've had my luggage tags checked everytime
Same here. It delays things a little but I think it's a good thing. They used to do it in the US but stopped long ago. Way too easy for a thief to stroll out with your valuables.

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted

They always take our luggage tags before we leave the terminal but I have never arrived midnight before, so I do not know if they collect them that late and maybe that is why some say yes and some say no.Mike B and the rest of the members, sorry if my directions were not clear but once you get to the airport then you should easily understand them. The departure building is higher than the arrival building and you will be facing the back of the departure building when walking out of the arrival building, so you have to get upstairs and around to the front of the departure building to catch a taxi, who would be dropping someone off to depart. The only problem may be if you arrive very late and there are no more departing flights and that was why I said to go to the left and not the right. Down to the left is where all the standard taxis congregate and sit and wait to be called by the dispatcher in the terminal, so they will yell to you "taxi sir or ma'am" and you can reply with how much to (where you are going), or just meter lang (meter only) to cut it short and if they say yes, then you can take one of those taxis. Hope that is easier to understand for everyone?

MikeB
Posted
Posted
They always take our luggage tags before we leave the terminal but I have never arrived midnight before, so I do not know if they collect them that late and maybe that is why some say yes and some say no.Mike B and the rest of the members, sorry if my directions were not clear but once you get to the airport then you should easily understand them. The departure building is higher than the arrival building and you will be facing the back of the departure building when walking out of the arrival building, so you have to get upstairs and around to the front of the departure building to catch a taxi, who would be dropping someone off to depart. The only problem may be if you arrive very late and there are no more departing flights and that was why I said to go to the left and not the right. Down to the left is where all the standard taxis congregate and sit and wait to be called by the dispatcher in the terminal, so they will yell to you "taxi sir or ma'am" and you can reply with how much to (where you are going), or just meter lang (meter only) to cut it short and if they say yes, then you can take one of those taxis. Hope that is easier to understand for everyone?
Good point about the tags, that's probably exactly what happens when it's late - there's no one there to check. Thanks for the directions and the taxi advice. Hey, I have a better idea. Can you pick me up and take me to the Maxwell for 200p?(plus tip, of course!) thumbsup.gif

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted
Good point about the tags, that's probably exactly what happens when it's late - there's no one there to check. Thanks for the directions and the taxi advice. Hey, I have a better idea. Can you pick me up and take me to the Maxwell for 200p?(plus tip, of course!) thumbsup.gif
Mike, if I had a car then I would gladly pick you up for free but we use taxis ourself when we are in Cebu because IMO it just does not pay to own a car the 3 to 4 months a year we spend there. If you can arrange to arrive on the same flight as ours on KAL which arrives Feb 6th at 11:40 PM (23:40) then we can drop you off at Maxwell and I will pay for the whole taxi because we are heading that way anyway. Ealier this year I picked up Franklin and the taxi driver wanted p400 for the round trip from our place and to wait at the airport until Franklin arrived and because they lost Franks luggage, the poor driver had to wait an extra half hour, so I gave him and extra p100 tip and he was happy, no gas spent and he still made most of his nights fares in 2 hours. I usually give a driver from the airport p200 or more to the Maxwell area anyway.