Evil White Sugar Killing Filipinos

Adventurer
Posted
Posted

I have always known most of the food here is full of white sugar but I have really started to see it becoming an epidemic now. For example today I went to one of those stalls you see at the malls where you can buy a freshly made fruit shake or juice. These are good value and healthy drinks as long as you ask for no sugar. I watched as locals ordered what they probably thought was a healthy drink and I was shocked to see how much white sugar the girl was putting in each customers drink. I'm sure she was putting in at least half a cup of white sugar in each.

At least they do have an option now to use brown sugar instead if you notice the small sign but no one I seen was asking for it and I was the only one out of 10 to ask for no sugar. I really can't understand why anyone would even need 1 teaspoon of sugar in these fruit drinks anyway let alone half a cup as they are naturally sweetened by the fruit sugars.

I had a native fruit shake which is only offered in season with some melon. I also ask for "LESS ice" as they understand that better than asking for "little ice" otherwise you get a freeken frozen iceberg that will freeze up your whole intensities and stomach in seconds as I realized when I forgot in Manila the other day when I got off the plane.

This evening I went to Pizza hut ( I should have known from previous experiences) ... I ordered a beef type of pasta dish that had the word "savory" in the description. Guess what? yes it was more like a desert as it was also loaded wit white sugar but I was so hungry I ate in anyway and told the waiter to tell the chef it was loaded with sugar and not a pasta savory dish....

ah well, welcome to the Philippines and I had to smile and not get annoyed... :) looking forward to moving to my condo in a few days so I can eat some proper healthy food we can cook at home.....

• Like 4

dalidali
Posted
Posted (edited)

I would imagine your "health" mileage will vary with white sugar usage.

I grew up eating C&H Pure cane white refined sugar and have no ill effects that I am aware of.

Brown sugar was used for chocolate chip cookies and other baking needs, but not used as a table sugar back in those days.

Now where I am...I use "marrón claro" sugar. This sugar is a very light brown and less refined than white or refined sugar.

Edited by dalidali

Bruce
Posted
Posted

You are assuming that 'they' see and understand as you do and that their goals are the same as your goals..... Not true.

I saw a documentary on the TV about the eating habits of New Orleans and Seattle. There was about a 5+ year difference between life expectancy. While the Seattle video showed outdoor sports and water sports (no Jake, different kind of water sports) and health choices, the New Orleans video was based on drinking and eating and then gorging again. The New Orleans people were told of the differences and the life expectancy of Seattle vs New Orleans. The basic comment was that 1. we do not care, we love to eat, and 2. that they felt sorry for the people in Seattle (the nations suicide capital!)

So, I have seen the same things about adding copious amounts sugar to everything including spagetti sauce and other foods / drinks and the locals just do not care. They were taught this way and have no intention to change.

For a real stark look, talk to some old WWII vets who were in the Philippines then and for the next 30 years and ask about body sizes and weights. BEFORE McDonalds and the rest of our western fast food vendors were there. Before TV and those cooking programs and fast food placements in the movies and shows.....

I watched the local alumni parade in Catbalogan 4 weeks ago. huge deal locally and included the class of '55 up to 2005. All I saw of the older people were FAT people walking in the parade. It was the same as in the US with the average wasit size MUCH larger than 50 years ago. While many Americans think that the Philippine people are a small thin people, that was 50 years ago. Now, you can find tall and of course fatter Pinoys / Pinays everywhere.

Sugar kills..... legally! And I am right there getting my daily dose.

SUGAR! It is not just for breakfast anymore!    

• Like 4

brock
Posted
Posted

I weigh 11, 1/2 stone and have 5 kilo of white sugar a month in just my Tea and Coffee, I have actually cut down from double that amount about 5 years ago, People say sugar is fattening, But to me its not.

earthdome
Posted
Posted

I would imagine your "health" mileage will vary with white sugar usage.

I grew up eating C&H Pure cane white refined sugar and have no ill effects that I am aware of.

Brown sugar was used for chocolate chip cookies and other baking needs, but not used as a table sugar back in those days.

Now where I am...I use "marrón claro" sugar. This sugar is a very light brown and less refined than white or refined sugar.

I have started using muscovado for my coffee which is an almost raw can sugar made here in the Philippines. Very dark brown with small globs of cane syrup.

• Like 2

Bruce
Posted
Posted

I weigh 11, 1/2 stone and have 5 kilo of white sugar a month in just my Tea and Coffee, I have actually cut down from double that amount about 5 years ago, People say sugar is fattening, But to me its not.

Please clarify: Is a STONE still 14 pounds to the rest of the world? So to all of us who are not the Queen's subjects.... you weigh 162 pounds?

• Like 2

samatm
Posted
Posted

Brown sugar / white sugar = very little difference nutritionally.   The stuff acts on your body the same way.      I too am shocked when I see the sugar being dumped into the fresh fruit juices and drinks, and breads, and pastas (gross on the spaghetti here) .    Anyway I have been drinking coffee black for 30 years.   I wonder how many sacks of sugar I would have consumed had I sugared it up every cup?     The Pinoy diet is so doomed with heavy sugar and  tons of  refined white rice.  

• Like 4

samatm
Posted
Posted

what is your secret man-- what else are you eating man - exercising ?

SubicSteve
Posted
Posted

Mee thinks sugar is way behind "fried in oil" as to whats killing Filipinos.

samatm
Posted
Posted

Mee thinks sugar is way behind "fried in oil" as to whats killing Filipinos.

Perhaps , but most of the frying is in Coco oil which now is touted as being healthy... these things change almost daily.