Why So Many Names For The People Of The Philippines?

the_whipster
Posted
Posted

the Malays also use the Roman alphabet, in their script like Phlippines. Literacy had hardly emerged in the Philippines, before the Spanish came.

and it is a good job the Spanish came when they did. Otherwise, there would be many more Arabic names in the Philippines, and it would be like Malaysia, where there are many Arabic names, for people and places.

• Like 1

Americano
Posted
Posted

I WAS NOT AWARE THAT THERE WAS NO F IN THE PHILIPPINES. SOME ONE HAS TH TELL MY WIFE THAT HER NAME IS NOT FE BUT PHE.

Fe is Spanish for faith.  They borrow heavily from Spanish names.

Going by the alphabet that you provided they don't have a C, F, J, V, X, or Z in their language, but you didn't say which language you are referring to. Their official English language has all 26 letters and is taught in all schools.

it is the Roman alphabet, previously the Greek, not the English alphabet. That is where those 26 letters come from.

obviously in the Philippines, people were exposed to the Roman alaphabet during the Spanish colonisation period, which lastest a great deal longer, than either of the subsequent colonisations.

Roman language if speaking historically but its English today since Roman no longer exists. Just ask anyone if they speak Roman and you will have the correct answer.  English is the international language which is being taught in the Philippines and many other countries. Is the Roman language being taught any where in the world?

the_whipster
Posted
Posted

what are you taling about now. Latin may be a dead language but many languages spoken today derive from it, some more than others, but ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ is not exclusive to English at all. All the European languages use the same alphabet, derived from classical times (Latin and Greek). It is the Roman alphabet. Not the English alphabet. The reason why the Roman alphabet is used in the Philippines today, is because of the Spanish who use the Roman alphabet the same way as the other European languages do. The Malay language also uses the Roman alphabet in a similar way Tagalog does (but unlike the Thai, Vietnamese, Korean, Japanese, etc).

the_whipster
Posted
Posted (edited)

Is the Roman language being taught any where in the world?

of course it is. Although the language is known as Latin, not Roman. Just because you obviously never took any Latin classes, doesn't mean that other people can't. And it is still compulsory in some higher end fee-paying schools, even for small children. You need to learn to at least read Latin to understand the classical world properly. And there are a very many Latin phrases dotted throughout the English (and many other) language(s) you probably yourself use, perhaps without even knowing that they are Latin phrases.

Edited by the_whipster

Gerald Glatt
Posted
Posted

​There was/is no Roman language, Latin please.  Romanian is the closest language spoken to Latin today.

Mom's parents from Roccogorda provincia Latina Italy told me so. Saterno (Pa) was very quick in math and usually had an opinion on almost every thing, expressed with a strange sense of humor.  Miss him alot.

the_whipster
Posted
Posted

I was born too late to receive any Latin classes in UK state education, but my dad did. He got O levels in both French (a 'living' language) and Latin (a 'dead' one). He went on a tour of Italy as a young man and he quickly found that with his knowledge of French and Latin that meant he could pick up the contemporary modern Italian language too, despite not having received any formal classes in the Italian language. The Romance language family like French, Italian, Spanish and Portuguese are much closer to Latin than English and German, however even English and German use the Roman alphabet , Yes as said above Romanian language is close to Latin (although surrounded by totally different Slavic languages). But I thought the language today that is probably the most mutually intelligible to ancient Latin, is the minority Romansch language, spoken today as a first language by only 1% of the Swiss population in a small area of south eastern Switzerland, Although nobody knows for sure. Nobody alive today, after all, has ever heard ancient Romans speaking.

• Like 1

Americano
Posted
Posted

I have 4 students visiting me this summer so I will tell them they need to change their grade card to Latin instead of English. I will explain to them that they are learning Latin not English.

• Like 1

the_whipster
Posted
Posted

I have 4 students visiting me this summer.

you would be assisting with their education if you were to tell them, provided they did not know already, that the ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ is the Roman alphabet that is common to all European languages (although the letters may be pronounced differently in each one), not just English and a few Asian languages as well, like Malay and Filipino, also use the Roman alphabet. Although most Asian languages do not use the Roman alphabet, and have their own. You could also tell the students, that while it is possible to transcribe languages that have a different alphabet and script, like Thai, Japanese, Arabic, and Hebrew, etc, into the Roman alphabet,  speakers of languages like that always complain that a great deal, is 'lost in translation' when you do this, If you are ever going to learn to speak Thai or Hebrew properly, you are going to need to learn their alphabet and script as well. Trying to use the Roman alphabet with languages like this, while better than nothing, is not really good enough.

• Like 1

Americano
Posted
Posted

I have asked all four of them plus several other Filipinos who have graduated from high school which calendar does the Philippines use, the Sacred Calendar, Roman Calendar, Chinese Calendar, or the Mayan Calendar? Only one person guessed the Roman Calendar. The rest guessed all of the other choices. When I told them that the calendar they are using came from Roman they became totally confused because they only know about the Philippines and America. Any place not in the Philippines is in America. Now tell them that the alphabet they are using is not English but is Roman will confuse them even farther. Why would anyone use a Roman alphabet that they have never heard of to make English words?

My neighbor on the first floor is from Belgium and his live in girlfriend is a 28 year old Catholic Filipina. Recently the Pope was speaking on TV so he called her attention to the TV and said look the Pope is on TV. Her reaction after seeing him was, who is that?  He replied, that's the Pope your Catholic leader. She ever heard of him or saw him before. Next he said, the Pope is speaking from the Vatican in Roman. She has never heard of the Vatican or of Rome. And, now you want me to tell them their alphabet came from Rome? I don't believe they will understand. Oh, I got it now, they will think the Vatican and Rome are in America. Problem solved.

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted

Best not tell them their numbers are Arabic...they will go insane lolol

• Like 3