Why So Many Names For The People Of The Philippines?

the_whipster
Posted
Posted (edited)

I have asked all four of them plus several other Filipinos who have graduated from high school which calendar does the Philippines use, the Sacred Calendar, Roman Calendar, Chinese Calendar, or the Mayan Calendar? Only one person guessed the Roman Calendar. The rest guessed all of the other choices. When I told them that the calendar they are using came from Roman they became totally confused because they only know about the Philippines and America.

you seem to have trouble comprehending that the only reason they, if they are Filipinos, are familiar with the Jan-Feb-March etc, calendar is because of the Spanish colonisation. That is when they learned all that. America or the USA has nothing much at all to do with Filipinos using the Roman alphabet in their writing, or using the Roman calendar to count the days, when the Thais and Vietnamese etc, use different calendars as well as alphabets. The Spanish had done all that before. They had already converted Filipinos to European ways. Theirs was by far the more significant and consequential colonisation of the Philippines. By far. All those Filipino students, have Spanish names, and come from places with Spanish placenames. They speak languages as a mother tongue, where on average between 1 in 3, to 1 in 4, of the words are actual Spanish words. There's just no competition.

Edited by the_whipster

Jake
Posted
Posted (edited)

I have asked all four of them plus several other Filipinos who have graduated from high school which calendar does the Philippines use, the Sacred Calendar, Roman Calendar, Chinese Calendar, or the Mayan Calendar? Only one person guessed the Roman Calendar. The rest guessed all of the other choices. When I told them that the calendar they are using came from Roman they became totally confused because they only know about the Philippines and America.

you seem to have trouble comprehending that the only reason they, if they are Filipinos, are familiar with the Jan-Feb-March etc, calendar is because of the Spanish colonisation. That is when they learned all that. America or the USA has nothing much at all to do with Filipinos using the Roman alphabet in their writing, or using the Roman calendar to count the days, when the Thais and Vietnamese etc, use different calendars as well as alphabets. The Spanish had done all that before. They had already converted Filipinos to European ways. Theirs was by far the more significant and consequential colonisation of the Philippines. By far. All those Filipino students, have Spanish names, and come from places with Spanish placenames. They speak languages as a mother tongue, where on average between 1 in 3, to 1 in 4, of the words are actual Spanish words. There's just no competition.

Is this another bickering in progress.......??

Edited by Jake
whatever....

the_whipster
Posted
Posted

you cannot allow people to get away with patent falsehoods like 'the English alphabet', when there is no such thing. Filipinos were imbibed with the concept of ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ, among many other things Filipinos do in daily life today in 2014, by the Spanish. The Spanish were in the Philippines, from 1565, to 1898, which makes it the longest period of European colonisation of anywhere, by a mile. And they left a big, big mark. Much bigger, than anybody else.

the_whipster
Posted
Posted

you could argue that the longest period of European colonisation was not the Philippines, but Portuguese East Africa (i.e. modern day Mozambique), as they basically annexed it as early as 1498 but didn't leave, until 1974. But they did not do anything much with it until the later years of the 19th century. With the Spanish and the Philippines, they were on it in a much bigger way, right from the start.

Jake
Posted
Posted (edited)

you cannot allow people to get away with patent falsehoods like 'the English alphabet', when there is no such thing. Filipinos were imbibed with the concept of ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ, among many other things Filipinos do in daily life today in 2014, by the Spanish. The Spanish were in the Philippines, from 1565, to 1898, which makes it the longest period of European colonisation of anywhere, by a mile. And they left a big, big mark. Much bigger, than anybody else.

you could argue that the longest period of European colonisation was not the Philippines, but Portuguese East Africa (i.e. modern day Mozambique), as they basically annexed it as early as 1498 but didn't leave, until 1974. But they did not do anything much with it until the later years of the 19th century. With the Spanish and the Philippines, they were on it in a much bigger way, right from the start.

Wow, your two posts 6 minutes apart was like two farts in the wind.  I wonder who got the last word in?

In essence, who gives a flying puck?  This topic about Filipino names just went into an event horizon

and went off topic into the black hole.  It's really getting too deep (who's the better linguistic expert)

and frankly it's really boring, don't you think?

Dang, I need a beer.........

Edited by Jake
where's my beer......
  • Like 3

the_whipster
Posted
Posted

Wow, your two posts 6 minutes apart was like two farts in the wind.  I wonder who got the last word in?

In essence, who gives a flying puck?  This topic about Filipino names just went into an event horizon.

It's really getting too deep (who's the better linguistic expert) and frankly it's really boring, don't you

think?

Dang, I need a beer.........

actual Filipinos with education rather than Fili-Ams, really appreciate it when you show that you know about the history of their country and that you know how much more important and consequential the long Spanish colonisation was to the Philippines, compared to the short American one.

• Like 1

Gerald Glatt
Posted
Posted

but we got movies, and stuff

• Like 2

the_whipster
Posted
Posted

Jollibee also would not have happened, without the influence of the United States. But the people that eat Jollibee are Juan, and Juanita. They are not John, and Joan. And when they have finished their meal, they go back home to a Spanish placename, where they use far more Spanish words, than English when they talk to each other, before they go to sleep.

BrettGC
Posted
Posted

Well originally yeah Whipster, the languages of PI, are heavily influenced by Spanish, particularly in the North.  The same could be said for Bahasa Indonesia and Dutch.  Linguistically speaking, yes Spanish, but in more recent times there has been a massive US influence both culturally and in speech.  This has only increased in the last 20 years with globalisation and access to information via various forms of media.  Spanish for 400 or US for 116?  To my mind, given the context of the respective time periods I would have to say that it's a blend of different Western/local cultures but most heavily influenced by the US in recent times, more so than 400 years of Spanish control.  Time has little to do with it, it's the impact that counts. Listen carefully to a Pinay's accent when speaking English;  more often than not there's a distinct North American flavour to it rather than Spanish.  And like languages all over the world, Americanisms are creeping in everywhere.  In 50 years it will be Mandarin :cheersty: .

PS I know a John and Joan in PI

PPS For Gerald "Movies and stuff" :hystery: Methinks you are as dry as a proverbial my friend :thumbsup:

• Like 1

the_whipster
Posted
Posted

no matter how hard, the US imperialists try, they are never going to change the general linguistal complexion, of the Philippines.

but never say, that I have anything against the United States.