Possible To Make Income With A "gym"

Westernman
Posted
Posted

Hey all,

Just shooting from hip based off a conversation I had recently and thought to ask you all:

Do you all think a gym as a source of income has any merit? I have heard and read all sorts of differnt ways to try and make a few pesos working differnet ideas, but never anything like a gym.

I love to workout and all that stuff and was wondering if it was possible to combines a passion of mine with a way to genreate some type of modest income.

I am not tryign to get into the weeds here, so I am not thinking overly much about the logistics of it such as rent, space, equipment, etc.I am looking at it as a more general, macro view...is it doable? Ever heard of anyone who tried it?

Do folks there like to exercise a lot? i know the poverty level there is high, so maybe this idea is terrible, but it was worth the electrons to ask :)   I am sure there are tons of them in the cities like Manilla, but what about outside the cities where life is a little more rural? just wondering. It would be great to work part-time at something that I also happen to love myself.

Thanks for you time,

Jason

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted (edited)

Anything is possible Jason. Perhaps in a medium sized rural town that hosts enough Foreigners and Filipinos fairly well to do a small gym could provide a small income. If you have real skill as a trainer and are good with people who knows it could be something that keeps you busy and earns a small amount. The large city's have gyms and country clubs with gyms keep in mind as a Foreigner you may not own a business. If you compete with a local business you can count on having real problems.

If you have real passion for this and its something you love to do I think you should keep after it and find a way to make it work. Maybe if you did more like a one on one training out an "office" in a large area just outside your home or like that? What do you know about nutrition and diet?

Edited by Old55
  • Like 4

JJReyes
Posted
Posted (edited)

Owning a gym in the Philippines and getting customers requires that you know a lot of people above a certain income bracket. The inverse is because they know you, the expectation is use of the equipment is free or at a highly discounted price. Unless the premise is air conditioned 24/7, the equipment deteriorates rapidly because of the humidity.

Jason, if you would like to pursue building a gym as a possible business, the first research question is, "Who has a successful gym in the Philippines?" The second question is, "Why is it successful?" Because of the cultural differences, the answer to these two questions maybe different than opening a gym in the United States.

Edited by JJReyes
  • Like 2

earthdome
Posted
Posted

I found one gym in San Fernando, La Union. Provincial capital of approximately 100,000. It was small, mostly just weights and some machines. No AC. Monthly membership fee was 500php.

Here in Baguio I am aware of at least 4 gyms, I joined one. The more a gym is comparable to a USA gym, the more the cost. I would say the cost can be the same or more here for an equivalent gym to the USA.

The gym I joined is ok, it has half a dozen manual bicycles, 2 elliptical and two treadmills. The treadmills cost an additional 1 peso per minute since they are powered. There are no showers and you can rent  a small locker for locking up personal items. There is a workout area for martial arts/MMA/ etc. and they do have classes for that. Typical weight lifting equipment. Cost 850php/month. I am the only western foreigner I have seen at the gym. I have seen some Koreans students at the gym. The staff is nice, owned and run by a family. The father at 66 looks in fantastic shape. Hope I can look like him when I reach that age. Name is Altitude Gym. Open 6AM-10PM Mon-Sat. 8AM-NOON Sun.

There are nicer gyms in Baguio, one is part of a chain of gyms owned by Manny Pacquiao. I haven't been to this gym since it is on the opposite side of town and not convenient to get to from my apartment. They cost more.

• Like 3

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

GregZ
Posted
Posted

There is a gym / workout place here in Cebu City, on the back street where there is hardly any traffic.  It caters to the local neighborhood for 30 pesos / session.  It is small, mostly just weights and some machines. No AC. Monthly membership fee is 400.

If I were to try something like that it would be attached to my house with access from the outside for paying customers and built for me, then offered for a fee to others.  That way I don't care if it turns any real profit; I'm sure it would make something if in the right place and every little bit helps. 

Yes, there is the feeling by some that you should give it for free or super discount because friend or family.  That is EVERYWHERE... Just tell them that the price is double what you want and give everyone half off.  OR Tell them that it is xx peso for regular customers and double for friends and family because they are a pain in the butt.  Do you want the discount? :hystery:   I have actually done both of these in Georgia, USA and I like the latter better.

jpbago
Posted
Posted
If I were to try something like that it would be attached to my house with access from the outside for paying customers and built for me, then offered for a fee to others.  That way I don't care if it turns any real profit; I'm sure it would make something if in the right place and every little bit helps. 

This is a good idea. Gyms in Canada have a high failure rate, although it might be management problems. Good equipment is costly and the more that it is used, the more it breaks down. From what I see, Filipinos are not interested in their health. Some that are in police training do some exercises, but only until they get a job.

• Like 2

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

There are a number of Filipinos that understand moderate exercise and a good diet is healthy. If you can hook into that small group along with a few expats you would be off. Getting equipment cheap is the problem. Used exercise equipment here in the States is cheap! I got a top of the line Bowflex (new >3K) for four hundred USD a while back. Something like that can be broke down and shipped via balikbayan box fairly reasonably.

Have you heard of Zumba? Its very big here in the States and is used in Philippines as well. Your wife could do a Zumba class for the Filipinas and you could do one for the guys? It would cost next to nothing to put on a large boom box and a clean clear area is all that is needed.

Thomas
Posted
Posted
Do you all think a gym as a source of income has any merit?
Oh! I thought "all" Filipins think exersising is crazy   :mocking:

BUT they have many good boxers, so there have to be exceptions  :)   

what about outside the cities where life is a little more rural?
I thought rural everyone have own "gyms" at their farms  :)

Just joking. I have no idea what's the chance a gym can be succesful in RP. Anyway - undepending of which business you start, you need to check what you are allowed to work with and how big part can be yours maximum   Not at this address /prohibited-and-restricted-ownership-businesses-for-foreigners.php

I haven't read it through again to check it in your point of view, but I GUESS maximum 40% ownership for you.

Westernman
Posted
Posted

Thanks for all the inputs, good stuff!

I was just wondering as I love exercise, know a lot about it and would love to be able to combine a passion/hobby into something that could actually turn a small profit.

I also like the idea of having one that is connected to your home, just makes sense in many areas. If it turns no profit, who cares, you didn't lose much if anything. If it does turn a small profit maybe it will cover the rent or something right.

I know a bunch about nutrition and diet too, but not too sure if they would be interested in that stuff from what I have read about the typical philippino diet, etc. However, there are always those that want to better themselves, those that want to train to be a sports star, etc.

Thanks again, just spitballing now, but it could end up being something down the road; one of several small streams of income.

Jason