Mike's Musings - Enough

Mike Farrell
Posted
Posted

Many years ago I saw a documentary about an African tribe who had thedistinction of being the poorest people in the world. They were nomads,who lived on the edge of the desert.Their entire system of mathmatics consisted of "One, Two, Three,ENOUGH".It was based on the fact that they could not carry more than a three day food or water supply. If they had sufficient for three days, theyhad enough. Excess was then shared. I embraced that philosophy. Different times, different places, different people, determine what "enough" means to them. It is only when I have determined that I have "enough" for the needs of my wife and children that I am willing to share. I will not cause them to do without because of my "need" to appeasesomeone else. (My in-laws) When we have outgrown clothes or toys, or replaced householdfurnishings, we have enough for our needs and give the excess away tothe in-laws. Perhaps, someday, when my children's college education and mywife/widow's future is provided for, I will conclude that wehave "enough" money. If I don't provide for them, after I am gone, who will? My in-laws? If they can provide for my family after I am gone, then they can certainly provide for themselves now. I am not obligated to solve any problem I did not cause. I don't play, but if I ever win a lottery, I will keep what is "enough"for our needs, and give the excess away. This philisophy may not be for everyone, but it works for me. And on a day to day basis, I will compare my/our satisfaction levelwith anyone, including Bill Gates. At our beach get-togethers with other ex-pat families , it is becoming atradition to raise our glasses in a toast; "Bill Gates, eat your heart out."_________________Mike Farrell First Sergeant of Marines Retired and Reincarnated in the Philippines Cagayan de Oro

• 5 months later...
ramon
Posted
Posted
sMany years ago I saw a documentary about an African tribe who had thedistinction of being the poorest people in the world. They were nomads,who lived on the edge of the desert.Their entire system of mathmatics consisted of "One, Two, Three,ENOUGH".It was based on the fact that they could not carry more than a three day food or water supply. If they had sufficient for three days, theyhad enough. Excess was then shared. I embraced that philosophy. Different times, different places, different people, determine what "enough" means to them. It is only when I have determined that I have "enough" for the needs of my wife and children that I am willing to share. I will not cause them to do without because of my "need" to appeasesomeone else. (My in-laws) When we have outgrown clothes or toys, or replaced householdfurnishings, we have enough for our needs and give the excess away tothe in-laws. Perhaps, someday, when my children's college education and mywife/widow's future is provided for, I will conclude that wehave "enough" money. If I don't provide for them, after I am gone, who will? My in-laws? If they can provide for my family after I am gone, then they can certainly provide for themselves now. I am not obligated to solve any problem I did not cause. I don't play, but if I ever win a lottery, I will keep what is "enough"for our needs, and give the excess away. This philisophy may not be for everyone, but it works for me. And on a day to day basis, I will compare my/our satisfaction levelwith anyone, including Bill Gates. At our beach get-togethers with other ex-pat families , it is becoming atradition to raise our glasses in a toast; "Bill Gates, eat your heart out."_________________Mike Farrell First Sergeant of Marines Retired and Reincarnated in the Philippines Cagayan de Oro
sharing what you have brings a lot unto yourself, a sense of fulfillment that indeed you gave something apart from you to others also in sharing the more blessings will bring back to you that you will still have a lot of things to share about, be it goods, service and a sense of belonging to others.