Winter Coats... In August! Post For Us Members

Bruce
Posted
Posted

Simple request here. I have the thrift store for the charity www.daviethriftstore.org and I am getting a lot of winter coats from people who have moved to Florida over the years or have traveled up north bought a coat and then when they return to Florida the coat ended up in a thrift store.

I send balikbayan boxes of 'crap' to the Philippines from the store but there is no need for winter coats. So I want to pass them along to people who may need them, for free.

If any US members know of a small church or homeless shelter who has a need for free winter coats, tell me how to reach them and if they agree to pass along for free, I will pay for the shipping of a large box of free coats!

• Like 1

JJReyes
Posted
Posted

I can't help. Our situation in Hawaii is similar to Florida. Residents buy winter clothes for travel to the US Mainland during colder months. They return home and face a similar disposal problem.

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

Bruce, I think all of the major cold weather cities have some kind of drive each year to gather cold weather clothing for those in need.  I know they did in Cincinnati and even in San Francisco.  It might be a bit early now because I think many of those were seasonal "Gather and give away" operations.  I will reach out to some of my friends and see if they have ideas. 

• Like 1

Americano
Posted
Posted

Bruce,

There may be a need for winter coats in the Philippines too. Thousands of OFW Overseas Filipino Workers depart for jobs in other countries every year. And since winter coats are not sold in the Philippines I believe many would be very happy to have one before they left. They will appreciate it even more when they land in a cold climate country.  I have seen a few OFW's who returned to the Philippines on vacation and they were wearing their winter coats. It looked very strange seeing someone wearing a winter coat here were its always hot.

I guess the coats could be distributed to workers going to cold climates where they go for the OFW Seminar.

• Like 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

Bruce,

There may be a need for winter coats in the Philippines too. Thousands of OFW Overseas Filipino Workers depart for jobs in other countries every year. And since winter coats are not sold in the Philippines I believe many would be very happy to have one before they left. They will appreciate it even more when they land in a cold climate country.  I have seen a few OFW's who returned to the Philippines on vacation and they were wearing their winter coats. It looked very strange seeing someone wearing a winter coat here were its always hot.

I guess the coats could be distributed to workers going to cold climates where they go for the OFW Seminar.

I have some winter coats I would give away here, but it is not so easy to find someone to take them here in Subic.  I am going to take them up to Baguio on the next trip.

JJReyes
Posted
Posted

What the OFWs need is a thrift store advertising and selling winter clothes. Those returning home can sell what they bring back, assuming they are not planning another deployment.

Curley
Posted
Posted

A pity I'm not in the States, I'm looking for a large raincoat so that I can sew multiple large pockets on the inside to fill with all sorts of things to help save on my weight allowance on my flight to Colombia next month. Perhaps one of your helpers could convert the coats into "special travel coats" and sell them?

Bruce
Posted
Posted

A pity I'm not in the States, I'm looking for a large raincoat so that I can sew multiple large pockets on the inside to fill with all sorts of things to help save on my weight allowance on my flight to Colombia next month. Perhaps one of your helpers could convert the coats into "special travel coats" and sell them?

I wear a 'Safari vest' with 21 pockets when I fly. Actually until I get past the check in and then I empty the pockets back into my carry on. Off Ebay, about $42. Made by a company called Humvee.  

Curley
Posted
Posted

I wear a 'Safari vest' with 21 pockets when I fly. Actually until I get past the check in and then I empty the pockets back into my carry on. Off Ebay, about $42. Made by a company called Humvee.  

Of course I can buy one ready made but with a long raincoat I can pack even more in, I have seen coat type on ebay for 200 dollars. I thought that with your two ladies in the shop that they could convert the insides into multi pockets while they wait for customers.

Americano
Posted
Posted

I have always flown Cebu Pacific on domestic flights for several years and my hand carry has never been weighed, so usually my hand carry is heavier than my checked baggage. I even pack heavy things in my laptop bag. Its not weighed either. No need for a rain coat with pockets for domestic flights.