Chinese Dating / Rating System / Far More Complex Than The Pinoy System.

Ashanti
Posted
Posted
The Chinese girl will inform your wife, your employer and the newspapers!"

hmmmm .................. now it makes sense why Wendy Murdoch's supposed sexploits with Tony Blair was aired not so long ago .............  :rolleyes:

(opppppppppps .................  pardon my spelling, me no speak english ..............  :mocking: )

• Like 4

Americano
Posted
Posted

"He has to be:

Good Looking

Tall*

Educated

Rich

"and he has to buy me an apartment and a car and pay bride price""

* This is tough on the Cantonese!

An academic paper on marriage in China is here:http://lup.lub.lu.se/luur/download?func=downloadFile&recordOId=3994741&fileOId=3994798

Note that China, like the Philippines, is a place where the bridegroom pays for his bride, (Bride Price) as opposed to the bride's family paying someone to take a daughter off  their hands (dowry)

The article refers to another academic article in which the author argues that competition in  the marriage market due to the inbalance in the sexes is responsible for 25% of China's annual growth in GDP, or 2% out of the typical 8% annualk growth. Parents of boys start saving to meet their son's marriage obligations from an early age.

I have long noticed that amongst my Chinese colleagues men who have daughters are much happier than men who have sons.

But many times a family will abort a baby girl. Crazy place.

Several years ago I saw a documentary on TV which reported that in the past that a baby girl would be taken and killed right after birth but now since ultrasound is available an abortion is done if it appears the baby will be a girl. I have read many times that life is not worth much in the Philippines, sounds like its worth even less in China.

afathertobe
Posted
Posted

Again, that was certainly the case in the past, but that has changed to an extreme degree. In fact the one child policy and the very widespread infertility of Chinese couples has encouraged baby and child abductions on almost an industrial scale. Values are rapidly changing in China, many families now prefer girls over boys, and the loss of one's only child is an incredible tragedy for a Chinese family including grandparents, who have pooled all their resources in that one child.

Disabled kids however are routinely disabled, it's only the poorest who can't afford an ultrasound during pregnancy who don't do it, these kids are then abandoned at orphanages and baby shelters.

• Like 1

Americano
Posted
Posted (edited)

Again, that was certainly the case in the past, but that has changed to an extreme degree. In fact the one child policy and the very widespread infertility of Chinese couples has encouraged baby and child abductions on almost an industrial scale. Values are rapidly changing in China, many families now prefer girls over boys, and the loss of one's only child is an incredible tragedy for a Chinese family including grandparents, who have pooled all their resources in that one child.

Disabled kids however are routinely disabled, it's only the poorest who can't afford an ultrasound during pregnancy who don't do it, these kids are then abandoned at orphanages and baby shelters.

What happens in China when no one knows who the father is?

In the USA it has been reported many times that about 52% of black people don't know who their father is but the mother raises the kids anyway.

Edited by Americano

Methersgate
Posted
Posted

Such a thing is not common in China, but if a single woman, such as a "factory girl", gets pregnant she may leave the child with an orphanage. China is socially rather conservative.

• Like 3

afathertobe
Posted
Posted

What happens in China when no one knows who the father is?

In the USA it has been reported many times that about 52% of black people don't know who their father is but the mother raises the kids anyway.

What methersgate said. It just hardly ever happens, most children are planned and eagerly anticipated some 1-2 years after marriage. 

There are probably some abortions from unwanted pregnancies, but most Chinese are not even dating before they graduate, let alone have unprotected sex with their partner. So not knowing who the father is is probably almost unheard of in much of China. 

Again, they have completely different issues, infertility is a major concern:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/jackperkowski/2012/05/25/chinas-one-child-policys-unexpected-issue-infertility/

http://www.chinadaily.com.cn/china/2012-12/19/content_16030598.htm

China is very rapidly ageing, and even a reversal of the one child policy won't change that anymore. Not necessarily a bad thing in my eyes, Japan shows us that an ageing society can still be very prosperous and reduce the strain on resources and land. 

• Like 1

Methersgate
Posted
Posted

I agree.

afathertobe
Posted
Posted

On the topic:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xqo4beQ6C_4#t=131

You can enable English subtitles by clicking on cc at the bottom of the video.

• Like 1