Sand Trap Banilad Cebu City Under New Management!

Geoff Thomas
Posted
Posted
Just thought I would give you the heads up with regards to the sand trap bar in Banilad (soon to be called Banilad Sports Club). 

The place has seen a few changes over the past couple of years and it now, at last, seems to be on the right track and heading to being once again a great venue. 

There are two new owners investing along with the original owner;  but far better that this, in my opinion, is the fact that they have brought in a well known face from Cebu to take over the role as manager (tough job) Tony Jarman. Many will know him as manager of the Jokers bar and a couple of other establishments over the last few years.

For sure he managed to enhance the performance and the feel of those places whilst there and so I believe he will be a success for the Sand Trap also.

:13_4_10[1]:
  • Like 3

Call me bubba
Posted
Posted

for those who are not in CEBU? could you tell us what kind of bar this is?

what is the clientele that it serves?

price range? what kind of food?

local  or imported beers?

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
Jim Sibbick
Posted
Posted

for those who are not in CEBU? could you tell us what kind of bar this is?

what is the clientele that it serves?

price range? what kind of food?

local  or imported beers?

If you are worried about imported beers, you need to hang out in the Tap Room. It is on the other side of the road from the entrance to the Sandtrap. They have a room of beer taps with beer from all over the world.

The Sandtrap, as the new name suggests, operates as a type of club. They don't offer memberships at this minute in time but will be offering them again soon, according to manager, Tony Jarmin. Previously, a membership entitled you to swim for free and got you 20% off drinks and 10% off meals. Tony would not say what the new membership system will offer.

The Sandtrap has

- Three tennis courts. They operate day and night as they have lights. You can also hire ball boys cheap.

- Swimming pool with adults section and kiddies section. It is not a pool for doing laps. It is more for having fun. Tony Jarmin said they are going to expand the swimming pool. For those of you who have been there, they now have the use of the vacant land between the old Sandtrap wall next to the pool and the wall of the school next door. I think it costs P100 for the day to go swimming.

- Indoor bar with pool table.

- Outdoor bar with large screen TV for sporting programmes

- Outdoor but under cover restaurant.

I drink San Miguel light. It costs P280 for a bucket of 5 on ice. I like drinking this way but apparently others have problems with getting drunk. They are otherwise P70 each or P55 each during happy hour.

They serve a range of western and local food including steak.

Anyone is welcome but it is mostly a place for foreigners.

It is the starting point for the runs for the Cebu Hash House Harriers

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...
wingmanPI
Posted
Posted

the sandtrap is a great place to spend an afternoon.  I havent been there in a few years but had a couple of

fun afternoons hanging around eating some good food, having drinks and always nice to have the pool there

to cool off.

• Like 1

Geoff Thomas
Posted
Posted

Well I am sure all the regulars already know, Tony Jarman did not last too long at Sandtrap and has moved back to the Jokers Arms. Both the Sandtrap and jokers are going through big changes at the moment and hopefully both will continue to move forwards for the better.

sand trap now has another new manager that has been working in Dubai, Filipino guy with experience of running sports clubs there as I have been told. Work is still in progress changing the face of the Trap, hopefully they get the mix right. Jokers is also changing its face covering the outdoor area to the rear so as to be a smoking area and live band area, the food menu is also being worked on and so far so good. hopefully we will have some good choices of where to go very soon, my top 3 Emerald Isle, Jokers Arms and The Sandtrap no particular order just hope they all keep going in the right direction

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
Bil Brock
Posted
Posted (edited)

Tony  sure didn't last long. Sandtrap has had management pains  ( & a crappy restaruant ) for a long time.It is a nice place that no owner seems to be able to get right.

Edited by Bil Brock
  • Like 1