Manila Residents / Request

Bruce
Posted
Posted

Hello,I am a nurse based in Florida and have been sending medications to Catbalogan / Samar as well as talking a suitcase full when I traveled there a couple of months ago. I have been looking, unsucessfully, for a Philippine based pharmacy wholesaler. I want to be able to buy medicines / antibiotics, in quanity, at wholsesale prices and then simply have them shipped from Manila to Catbalogan. Are there any forum members from or in Manila that can do the research locally for a drug wholesaler or manufacturer's dist. center? Perhaps you might be able to take care of the transactions and do the shipping if the company is unable to do so, we might be able to come to an arrangement. NO NARCOTICS, just generic antibiotics and the like. Bruce

ancienrocka
Posted
Posted
Hello,I am a nurse based in Florida and have been sending medications to Catbalogan / Samar as well as talking a suitcase full when I traveled there a couple of months ago. I have been looking, unsucessfully, for a Philippine based pharmacy wholesaler. I want to be able to buy medicines / antibiotics, in quanity, at wholsesale prices and then simply have them shipped from Manila to Catbalogan. Are there any forum members from or in Manila that can do the research locally for a drug wholesaler or manufacturer's dist. center? Perhaps you might be able to take care of the transactions and do the shipping if the company is unable to do so, we might be able to come to an arrangement. NO NARCOTICS, just generic antibiotics and the like. Bruce
Hi Bruce,I just checked the local yellow pages phone directory and there are about 10 companies listed under "pharmaceutical products" - some are in Cebu, some in Manila.I am going away to the province this week so won't have much chance to check them out, but can do so next week if you want. Or I can send you the telephone numbers listed.Paul

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
I would think there would be a need to do more research into this,I cant see how just anybody could purchase bulk drugs and distribute them. Maybe I'm wrong.When you say you take a suitcase full,where do you get them from? :crack-up:

Bruce
Posted
Posted (edited)

Since I am a nurse and know a few doctors, one of which is kind enough to allow me to buy from a drug wholesaler he has an account with. No narcotics, just antibiotics and the like. Before I traveled to Pinoyland, I got a letter, on the oficial letterhead of the Public Health Department in Samar, requesting medications donations. I made a few copies, and a copy of my nursing license and put them in the suitcase with the medications. I also wrote out a prescription for them and my doc friend signed it. Left the suitcase unlocked and it went thru the airlines with out any problems. Smiled my way thru customs in Cebu and that was that. 53 pounds of medicines and minor surgical instruments / equipment. I know this because I had to pay extra for those 3 pound above 50! I went into a few pharmacies in Cebu / Catbalogan to look around. No questions asked. Buy what you want (I did not ask for any narcotics) and walk out with it. So I am looking into what it takes to 'open' a pharmacy, with out actually opening one. Depending on licensure, if it is as simple as paying some pesos... then I will have a pinoy friend get a local license and place some wholesale orders, IF I CAN FIND A WHOLESALER in Pinoyland.As much as Lee doesn't recommend it, when I was in Catbalogan, not only did I bring over 4,000 doses of antibiotics for donation, I also bought 2 big 50 kilo sacks of rice, 5 dozen shoes, 4 bikes, 10 soccer balls and a 10,000 pesos of various bread products for donation. As recently as last week, local people were still showing up at my pinay's house looking for medications. The local radio station is run by a guy named Ray and every week sick and injured people or their families show up at the station looking for him to announce on the radio a request for donations to pay for medical help. So when I did the donations, I told everyone my name was Lee and to look me up if they ever got to Cebu.... hehehehehehe The governor of Samar has been in the news multiple times for various forms of corruption. Hospital funds are 'gone', and to satisfy the public, every so often, the army has a 1 day medical clinic for the common folk..... Healthcare in Pinoyland for the common person is a vast bottomless money pit. Whatever you do, is is never enough. But, since I don't (smoke, do drugs, look for GRO's) and the like, I am able to spend 'that' money on other things, in this case, medical related supplies. Now, I know what you are thinking... Christ! if we don't stop this Kano, it will give a black eye to all us good sex tourists! Well I am sorry! I really don't even know how to pronounce A N G E L E S city properly. (Like a Kano? Like a Mexican? Where is the accent placed?) I will be talking with Paul about a medicine wholesaler when he returns from his trip. If any one else has a wholesale pharmacy contact, let me know.

Edited by Mr. Lee
word removed

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted

Yup guys, Bruce is a hopeless case. :welcome: His heart is in the right place but I am not sure his brain is. :cheers: :as-if: He will learn that no good deed goes unpunished here and everyone has to get their cut of the take, or some Kano, namely Bruce is bound to end up in the slammer, or worse :728: that is, until the payoff is received. :1247: Papers or no papers for the meds, there is always someone else who he will have forgot to get papers from, or that he did not know he needed them from. :crack-up: Keep up the good work Bruce, and I sure hope that you never find out about the hundred different sets of papers needed to get anything done here. :why-me:

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted (edited)
Since I am a nurse and know a few doctors, one of which is kind enough to allow me to buy from a drug wholesaler he has an account with. No narcotics, just antibiotics and the like. Before I traveled to Pinoyland, I got a letter, on the oficial letterhead of the Public Health Department in Samar, requesting medications donations. I made a few copies, and a copy of my nursing license and put them in the suitcase with the medications. I also wrote out a prescription for them and my doc friend signed it. Left the suitcase unlocked and it went thru the airlines with out any problems. Smiled my way thru customs in Cebu and that was that. 53 pounds of medicines and minor surgical instruments / equipment. I know this because I had to pay extra for those 3 pound above 50! I went into a few pharmacies in Cebu / Catbalogan to look around. No questions asked. Buy what you want (I did not ask for any narcotics) and walk out with it. So I am looking into what it takes to 'open' a pharmacy, with out actually opening one. Depending on licensure, if it is as simple as paying some pesos... then I will have a pinoy friend get a local license and place some wholesale orders, IF I CAN FIND A WHOLESALER in Pinoyland.As much as Lee doesn't recommend it, when I was in Catbalogan, not only did I bring over 4,000 doses of antibiotics for donation, I also bought 2 big 50 kilo sacks of rice, 5 dozen shoes, 4 bikes, 10 soccer balls and a 10,000 pesos of various bread products for donation. As recently as last week, local people were still showing up at my pinay's house looking for medications. The local radio station is run by a guy named Ray and every week sick and injured people or their families show up at the station looking for him to announce on the radio a request for donations to pay for medical help. So when I did the donations, I told everyone my name was Lee and to look me up if they ever got to Cebu.... hehehehehehe The governor of Samar has been in the news multiple times for various forms of corruption. Hospital funds are 'gone', and to satisfy the public, every so often, the army has a 1 day medical clinic for the common folk..... Healthcare in Pinoyland for the common person is a vast bottomless money pit. Whatever you do, is is never enough. But, since I don't (smoke, do drugs, look for GRO's) and the like, I am able to spend 'that' money on other things, in this case, medical related supplies. Now, I know what you are thinking... Christ! if we don't stop this Kano, it will give a black eye to all us good sex tourists! Well I am sorry! I really don't even know how to pronounce A N G E L E S city properly. (Like a Kano? Like a Mexican? Where is the accent placed?) I will be talking with Paul about a medicine wholesaler when he returns from his trip. If any one else has a wholesale pharmacy contact, let me know.
As recently as last week, local people were still showing up at my pinay's house looking for medications. The local radio station is run by a guy named Ray and every week sick and injured people or their families show up at the station looking for him to announce on the radio a request for donations to pay for medical help.
Perhaps this is what will become the downfall of good intentions, once more desperate people find out about the rich Kano and his medicines more will hound him to death.Maybe its best to get the wholesaler to donate direct to the hospital so it appears you are not involved.I know of someone who travels to different parts of the Philippines a couple of times a year to give free medical help to the poor,he belongs to some group but I would have to find the info about him later,maybe you could help out there? :crack-up: Edited by Mr. Lee
word removed

Bruce
Posted
Posted

Well, As Lee can tell you, I don't work well with others, so I will take a pass on helping some more main stream volunteer efforts. I am aware of the 'problems' in trying to help. This is why I am changing the long term plans. While everyting worked out well on my trip, I learned a lot and this is why I am looking at a Philippine pharmacy wholesaler and looking into any required license for a drug store. My name will be on nothing. I am simply a traveler on vacation. My pinay friend is related to many governmental workers in her area and she is a former governmental worker herself. So, hopefully she will be able to do what is needed to pass muster.Here is a simple math lesson. Ampicillin 500mg cost me $0.13 each (13 cents). In the Philippines, that same capsule costs between 36 pesos to 54 pesos each. 4 a day for 5 days therapy would cost $2.60 USD or at a minimum in the Philippines 720 pesos on the low end. These prices came from Samar, may be lower in Manila or Cebu, I don't know.If I can find a Philippine wholesaler, my costs should be less than the US costs as the medications may come from China or Pakistan / India. Similar saving should be available for other generic medications. There are of course a lot of variables, but if a license can be obtained and a Philippine supplier can be found, these medications can be sold to those who can afford them and a % of that money used to fund medications for those who can't afford medicine. It certainly is not a perfect system, but it is a start. Better than doing nothing! The goal is not to make me any money, but instead to create an ongoing business that funds itself and provides help to those who need it. I have another 11 to 15 years to go before I can retire, so I have a paying job as of now. This Philippines thing is simply a hobby for me, but in the long run, will hopefully take on a life of it's own.Catbalogan has been promised an air port for years now. The airport in Tacloban is supposed to be enlarged and upgraded soon. Samar will be growing and what is put into place now, should grow with the community. I would imagine that other, more rural communitys would also benefit from this model.

• 2 weeks later...
ramon
Posted
Posted
Hi Bruce, I am going to look into it for you and send you a PM, there are a few here in Cebu that I know of and do business with.