And It Just Keeps Getting Better And Better

Julia
Posted
Posted
Are you still thinking about getting a pirated copy of Windows 7?
Is it really safe guys?

not a good idea.

anything illegal is not lasting.

maybe you can now, but you will just live each day with fear of being caught.

you are right, Jake, it is not safe.

• Like 3

Mike S
Posted
Posted (edited)

Well I just spent 3 hours on line with MagicJack trying to figure out what happened .... and here is the sad story .... apparently when I bought my latest MJ I also extended my service for another 5 years ... and guess what the stupid arse-hole did that processed my order .... they added it to the old MJ so I don't get to use my service till 2017 and it expired on the new one last month .... but they were good enough to give me one year on my new MJ so they knew exactly what they were doing .... I also had my number transfered to the new MJ and once you do that the old MJ becomes a paper weight ....

Anyway no sour grapes here if you like your Jack so be it .... good luck ... for me I'll just load p500 in my cell and call when I need to .... live and learn .... :thumbsup:

:cheersty:

Added 9/28/2013

OK ..... guess I got to eat crow here and renew my MJ ..... I forgot ALL my US phone numbers are tied to my MJ number ... banks .... credit cards .... IRS .... SS and so forth .... so I bit the bullet and signed up for 1 year ..... funny thing is my MJ account only showed 1 device .... with the renewal it now shows 2 .... and it now works 

Just a thought and some advice .... if you are going to purchase a newer version of MJ please don't renew your license at the same time because it will credit the old account (or device as they call it) instead of your new one and you won't have to spend hours going round and round with some agent .... 4 in my case .... to only find out they didn't credit or list your new MJ .... 

Now ..... on to do battle with M$ Windoz ..... :thumbsup:  ..... :hystery: :hystery: :hystery:

Edited by Mike S
  • Like 1

i am bob
Posted
Posted

Why I'd it all the fun happens when I don't come on for a day? Oh, well... One issue down and one to go. Content MicroPeni... I mean WimpHos... I mean... Ah, you know who I mean... Call them and tell them your issue. They can get you up and running again legally. Have a good pen and lots of paper beside you when you call...

• Like 2

Mike S
Posted
Posted

Actually Bob it was the automated phone system I used ..... never spoke to a single person .... which is why it probably worked .... :thumbsup:   :hystery:

• Like 2

Americano
Posted
Posted

Are you still thinking about getting a pirated copy of Windows 7?

Is it really safe guys?

not a good idea.

anything illegal is not lasting.

maybe you can now, but you will just live each day with fear of being caught.

you are right, Jake, it is not safe.

Julia,

I thought most of the computers in the Philippines are operating on pirated software. A new computer comes with authorized software installed but when the hard drive goes bad and needs to be replaced or your hard drive needs to be formatted for some reason the computer technician will load his pirated copies of software on your hard drive since most people do not own an authorized copy of their OS software or other programs.

Since I have been living in the Philippines I have known 3 computer technicians who go house to house repairing computers. They carry with them all the operating system software programs and other common programs. I know all of their software is either pirated or free share ware. I know this because they do not sell authorized software from Microsoft or any other company. If you can show me one who does he would be the exception. Please tell us if you find one. Why would they want to spend more than they make in one month to buy an authorized copy when a pirated copy works just as well?  It isn't going to happen.

• Like 3

Americano
Posted
Posted

The Philippines is only pretending to be enforcing the copyright laws to look good to other nations who keep complaining, like the USA. Most Filipinos don't see anything wrong with pirated software or movies. Anyone can walk down the streets of Cebu City and in just one afternoon could buy 1,000 copies of pirated software and movies. Enforcing copyright laws in the Philippines is just a joke. No one is serious about it. If they were most places selling illegal copies would have been shut down many years ago but the opposite is true. It a thriving business in most cities.

• Like 4

Mike S
Posted
Posted

I'm not picking on anyone or pointing fingers but here is some thing to consider ..... wages in developed countries vs wages in 3rd world countries ....

I realize that software developers spend hundreds of thousands of dollars developing their software and deserve to make a profit .......  but how can you expect a person who makes less than $8 (or p344) per day to pay for software that costs big bucks ..... do you punish these people from trying to get ahead or keeping them ignorant of the expanding world technology by outlawing these pirated copies or do you make the software companies drop their prices so they can be affordable to the poor (that ain't gonna happen unless they have an ulterior motive in mind) ..... kinda like M$ with the copy of windows I have .... they know full well if they sell the OS cheaper the people will buy additional software to run on their computers at full cost ..... but at least someone did something to get the ball rolling ...... it would take Dong 25 days to earn enough to pay for this copy of windows if he had no other expenses ..... a whole lot easier to pay p500 or almost 2 days pay .... or better yet borrow a copy from his neighbor ....  :mocking: ..... course if he was an illegal or indigent and lived in the US he could get all this free ..... :thumbsup: :hystery: :hystery:

• Like 3

Americano
Posted
Posted

I agree with Julia, but sometimes it depends on the circumstance. For example, I bought my wife's laptop in the USA in November 2009 and of course it came with an authorized copy of Windows 7 already installed. Last year the hard drive went bad and had to be replaced. Since I had already paid for a authorized copy of Windows 7 I didn't see anything wrong with loading the same program on the computer again. And, last month she got a virus which required a format of the hard drive. Again the same Windows 7 program was loaded.

Several years ago I bought a computer and it came with the OS software installed and a copy on disks so it could be installed again if necessary. I guess MS has stopped providing a backup copy on disk so I don't see anything wrong with getting the same copy by another means. Its something you have already paid for.

• Like 1

jon1
Posted
Posted

I stopped using pirated software years ago. Also, I never allow any USB thumb drives to be connected to my machines without scanning for viruses first. Almost all of the machines owned by Filipinos that I have seen had viruses and/or pirated software loaded on them. Most pirated software has viruses embedded within them. I have even seen viruses get written to SD cards for your camera and phones at Photo print shops! 

If you can't afford a Mac, I would migrate to Linux. Both are extremely stable and not as many virus/security threats. 

I too have the Magic Jack and love it. I even purchased one of the new MJ+ for my house and now no longer have to have the computer running all of the time. I took my original MJ # and loaded it on my smartphone. So no more need for the dongle. Personally I feel that the MJ is the best deal going and will keep it as long as the company lasts.

• Like 2