And It Just Keeps Getting Better And Better

Americano
Posted
Posted

jon, you are right about viruses being almost everywhere but a good computer tech will be sure his software is virus free. I have never had any problem with any program they have ever loaded on any of my computers. They use the same software on their computer so they don't want it screwed up.

I was working for the US Department of Defense when we first started getting computers in our offices. For a few years we never had any viruses and knew very little about them until one day we received antivirus programs and loaded them on our computers. Immediately the virus problem started. And each time we did an antivirus update we had even more problems. You can draw your own conclusion but I say the antivirus companies couldn't get rich if there were no viruses so its in their financial interest to have many viruses being distributed all the time. Are they making some of the viruses, maybe, since no one knows where all of them come from.

In the 4 years I have been in the Philippines the only original copies of movies I have seen are the 60+ DVD movies I brought from the USA.  People even walk past our home every week selling pirated movies.

• Like 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
In the 4 years I have been in the Philippines the only original copies of movies I have seen are the 60+ DVD movies I brought from the USA. 

I used to buy original movies at SuperMetro department store in Mandaue.  They used to have a good selection but have not checked in a few years.  I hate the pirated movies.  They are all poor quality, almost without exception, and I would rather pay 250 pesos for an original movie than 50 pesos for a flawed, pirated version, but I have no bad feelings towards those who like to watch the pirated ones.  In fact I now download movies to watch as I now live far from any available movie sales place.  So its not the pirating I am against, its the poor quality of it.

• Like 1

i am bob
Posted
Posted (edited)

As for technicians carrying pirated copies of Microsoft? You're going to find that all over the world. I know I did when I was working. What do you expect? Microsoft gives developers free copies of any software they want but technicians have to buy copies to work with? Doesn't matter if the tech is an MCP, MCSE, or anything in between. Yeah, I'll stick with my Ubuntu and a single Macbook for work purposes !!!

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4

Edited by I am bob
  • Like 1

Americano
Posted
Posted

I don't buy pirated movies anymore either. The ones I bought in the past were so poor quality that some were not worth watching. Now I watch movies on the Internet.

• Like 1

FlyAway
Posted
Posted

Microsoft has recently discontinued its Technet program. Anyone could have signed up for this. They had a library of "all" Microsoft products. Members could get full retail activation numbers. At one time we could have up to 10 licenses of products like Windows 7 Professional. I am sure due to much abuse they cut it down to 3 and now it is gone altogether. This was a great resource for the professional technician.

As long as you have a license key on the outside of the laptop or pc case, you can reload that version of the operating system. Microsoft did make various releases of its operating systems so chances of finding a tech with the correct disk for your system is slim.

A good knowledgeable tech can format the drive and install using the code from their disk. Before activating Windows they should change the product code to the sticker on the outside of the case. Windows Vista and Windows 7 is easy. Windows XP requires a free program from Microsoft to change the key code. Or a quick search of the internet will show other ways using the registry editor. Very easy to do. It has been a while for me having to reload an XP system.

Kind of silly but Microsoft more or less licenses the case of the PC or Laptop, not the guts inside.

• Like 3

i am bob
Posted
Posted

Microsoft has recently discontinued its Technet program. Anyone could have signed up for this. They had a library of "all" Microsoft products. Members could get full retail activation numbers. At one time we could have up to 10 licenses of products like Windows 7 Professional. I am sure due to much abuse they cut it down to 3 and now it is gone altogether. This was a great resource for the professional technician.

As long as you have a license key on the outside of the laptop or pc case, you can reload that version of the operating system. Microsoft did make various releases of its operating systems so chances of finding a tech with the correct disk for your system is slim.

A good knowledgeable tech can format the drive and install using the code from their disk. Before activating Windows they should change the product code to the sticker on the outside of the case. Windows Vista and Windows 7 is easy. Windows XP requires a free program from Microsoft to change the key code. Or a quick search of the internet will show other ways using the registry editor. Very easy to do. It has been a while for me having to reload an XP system.

Kind of silly but Microsoft more or less licenses the case of the PC or Laptop, not the guts inside.

I know Technet had every version accessible but Microdink had the bad habit of voiding our numbers so we couldn't get in. Another joy of theirs was restricting a tech to only products they had trained on. When they did that to me, they ended up certifying me on all the new stuff but deleted all my certs from 2K and back. It took me 3 months to get them back.

Last time I tried to pull up Technet, I got a message saying it does not exist anymore. That was 2 months ago. The funny thing was that was message I got when I first signed up for Technet. (I had a special status before this with the military and did not need to register individually.)

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4

• Like 1