Philippine Hacker Blackmails American Teen

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

just something more to be aware of  :o

Manila, Philippines — Philippine-based computer hackers blackmailed an American teenager with a humiliating video and got him to pawn his family’s jewels worth over US$100,000 (4.3 million pesos) to send them money, according to reports. 

The hackers obtained the video by tricking 17-year-old Hector Hernandez into installing a “rat” virus that allows them to turn on his computer’s webcam without him knowing, said a report by Fox News. Rat stands for ‘remote access tool’ and allows hackers to gain unauthorized control of your computer.
The group threatened to release the video to Hernandez’s entire Facebook friends and to his school’s website if he did not pay up.
Hernandez then stole his family’s jewels from his mother, worth about US$100,000, pawned them for just US$1,500, and began wiring money to the hackers in the Philippines. He told Fox News they kept asking for more and more money.
The family was planning to sell the jewels to finance his education.
A screenshot from Fox News revealed the identity and location of the cyber extortionist, according to reports.
He finally told his mother what was happening when the hackers continued to ask for more money.
Following the incident, Hernandez warned users to turn off their computers when not in use.
“When you are not using your computer or laptop, unplug your webcam or close your laptop so your webcam doesn’t get turned on,” Hernandez told Fox.
The rat virus is now making rounds on the internet, say reports.
The virus uses subtle HTML trickery to gain remote access to a computer’s webcam, said the IT news website TechCrunch.

• Like 3

JJReyes
Posted
Posted

The article does not state what he was doing in the privacy of his room that was so terrible although members of this forum can guess. We turn off our computers when not in use because electricity is expensive in Hawaii. I wasn't aware this was also a good security practice.

• Like 1

Jake
Posted
Posted

Hell.....I would have to pay someone to actually watch my fugly body.  It's pretty gross and needs stern warnings

for public viewing about my live methane discharge......he, he.   

If microphones could only smell -- Jake

• Like 3

Dougbert
Posted
Posted

Ah, the ol' "give us the family jewels or we'll show everyone the family jewels" gambit!

• Like 2

Classic Dry
Posted
Posted

Ah, seventeen and terrified of being caught doing the same kind of things we all do.

The poor kid was probably picking his nose. :no:

• Like 1

JJReyes
Posted
Posted
Ah, seventeen and terrified of being caught doing the same kind of things we all do. The poor kid was probably picking his nose.

No. It was something more terrifying like using scissors to clip his nose hair while using the computer as a mirror. The camera pointed straight up his nostril.  Jake probably has a different theory as to the kid's activity while in bed and staring at the ceiling.

Lordblacknail
Posted
Posted

Wait, What???? You can do that??? Wow, give me a minute to try it out.

• Like 1

i am bob
Posted
Posted

Oh, c'mon! We all know what he was doing! And it is obviously something he was doing with no pants on. Give up? He was giving himself wedgies! :)

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

:whistling:  If, i was this lads Father, and I saw the evidence somewhere, I would say  "Yep dats Mah Boy"

Thank Christ, he is Normal.  :dance:  Mama, we got it right.

:tiphat: :morning1:

• Like 2