What I Did On Submarines

Jake
Posted
Posted (edited)

Whilst diesel/electric boats are virtually undetectable due to the fact that they run on batteries 90% of the time, there are some downsides.  Every night, we had to withdraw from station to raise the snort induction mast so we could run the diesel alternators to charge the batteries.  Now this mast is big for obvious reasons, and poses the greatest threat of detection on a conventional boat.  Modern technology with synthetic aperture radars - very high definition - are able to detect these masts.  Add to that the fact the exhaust from the diesels is also vented through this mast you have to be very careful indeed.  The mast is also used to refresh the air in the boat, unlike nuke boats, D/E submarines do not make their own oxygen.  There was many a time, due to operational constraints, we weren't able to conduct a snort for up to 3 days  at a time meanwhile the batteries are running down, the CO2 in the boat is building, and we're sitting on the bottom waiting for whoever it is that's floating on the surface to bugger off.  Yeah, like nuke boats, we did carry oxygen candles, but they do nothing to reduce the CO2 in the air so people are fatigued, have headaches and generally pretty sh&tty. 

It did have some great upsides though:  Listening to whale song through the hull, watching ships on video streams that have no idea you're there, the feeling of doing something that is fairly unique, the mates.  Not being able to stay on the boat when you pulled in somewhere so they paid for motels with about $125US a day "meal allowance".  Our first stop after coming off station was normally Pattaya for about 10 days; I don't care how good you are, there is no way you are going to blow $125/day with the prices there - even if you are the biggest root rat in 15 navies.  The rest of the navy used to leave us alone too, a very good thing.

Do I miss it sometimes? Yeah.  Would I do it again? Nah, that part of my life is over.

CPOCTS Brett (retarded).

I was on the 490 boat out of SD Cal. from '68 to 70. ( my 4th diesel/electic boat) and we were on a "spec op"  and were submerged for 69 days. periscope depth at night to run diesel, charge batts, and revitalize. was a trying experience. I was a smoker in those days. By the time we got R snorkle mast up there was not enuff oxygen in the boat to keep a cigarette burning. Breathing was like being at a VERY high elevation and we just took deeper breaths.  just another adventure in my life and something I AM VERY PROUD OF.     SAM ROHRER   RET. U S NAVY

Oh no, another stinkin' bubblehead.....there's goes the neighborhood.  You have permission to come aboard

shipmate.  CWO Brett is the head MoFo of the chiefs mess and I'm just the duty mess crank (ETCM retarded).

Tell us more about your background -- we love to swap sea stories, even though I can't understand a word

of Australian.....he, he.

Respectfully -- Jake (surface target breaking up)

Edited by Jake
spil chek
  • Like 2

BrettGC
Posted
Posted

I keep trying to give the damned coffee cup back to Jake but he won't accept it! 

Anyway, here's a picture of some pasty faced lads after about 70 days dived pre-Collins class days.  I'm in there somewhere towards the back.  We'd just been for a swim in the Gulf of Thailand and yes, we're having a beer to celebrate the end of the patrol - warming up for Pattaya!  Thankfully the Royal Australian Navy isn't dry and we can have a beer every now and then when not playing for real :cheersty:

post-2862-0-64869700-1400452684_thumb.jp

• Like 3

Jake
Posted
Posted (edited)

I keep trying to give the damned coffee cup back to Jake but he won't accept it! 

Anyway, here's a picture of some pasty faced lads after about 70 days dived pre-Collins class days.  I'm in there somewhere towards the back.  We'd just been for a swim in the Gulf of Thailand and yes, we're having a beer to celebrate the end of the patrol - warming up for Pattaya!  Thankfully the Royal Australian Navy isn't dry and we can have a beer every now and then when not playing for real :cheersty:

Anyway, here's a picture of some pasty faced lads......

According to NavyRN in post #27, looks like you guys are suffering from vaginitis, weak genes and boat crud.

All to be washed away in blissful moments in Pattaya.  Where do I sign up?  I can still swab the deck and chip

paint.  Why do bubbleheads have all the fun?

Surface navy sucks -- Jake

Edited by Jake
spil chek
  • Like 3

BrettGC
Posted
Posted

I think the moment for me, that sums up the life of a submariner, was when our first port of call after a prolonged patrol was Singapore. We pulled into Sembawang and all made a bee-line for the Fern Leaf club (NZ forces club just outside the gates of the old RN base, past the gaol (jail for you yanks), closest  really cheap beer).   Kit bags in tow, we dumped them and all just jumped in the pool.  After not showering for about 40 odd days, in ambient temperature of about 35C (95F for those that still use that anachronistic system) and 80% humidity, we left a slick of diesel, similar to a bathtub ring, around the edge of the pool  and the surface of the water took on that rainbow effect.  $1 Tigers and 20c nasi/mee goreng helped us forget.  Sauna for 3 hours, then a 45 min shower and you finally stopped feeling unclean.  You know what?  We loved it.  Submariners are all slightly unbalanced, but we embrace it.  

• Like 2

Jake
Posted
Posted

I think the moment for me, that sums up the life of a submariner, was when our first port of call after a prolonged patrol was Singapore. We pulled into Sembawang and all made a bee-line for the Fern Leaf club (NZ forces club just outside the gates of the old RN base, past the gaol (jail for you yanks), closest  really cheap beer).   Kit bags in tow, we dumped them and all just jumped in the pool.  After not showering for about 40 odd days, in ambient temperature of about 35C (95F for those that still use that anachronistic system) and 80% humidity, we left a slick of diesel, similar to a bathtub ring, around the edge of the pool  and the surface of the water took on that rainbow effect.  $1 Tigers and 20c nasi/mee goreng helped us forget.  Sauna for 3 hours, then a 45 min shower and you finally stopped feeling unclean.  You know what?  We loved it.  Submariners are all slightly unbalanced, but we embrace it.  

Yeah, I can barely remember those days.  It's all a blissful fog of extreme pleasure of finally taking

a decent shower, chit and shave.  Remember those times when you're sharing a double sink in

the hotel room, brushing your teeth and still swaying port and starboard on solid ground?  What's

so funny about that is the sailor next to you brushing his teeth was also swaying in unison with you. 

Talk about weird science......

Another thing about the Royal Australian Navy is they are the king of party animals.  It's one thing

to let off some steam after a long deployment but the Aussie sailors took it to a higher level of pure

science: 

post-686-0-64490500-1400809440.jpg

You're never off balance mate....that's why you have a bubble in your head....he, he.

• Like 1