Used Electric Kettles Sold As New

Fred & Mimi
Posted
Posted

I was in the market for an electric kettle to replace the near new one I have that became infested with those tiny ants which fried the circuitry. I went to SM Consolation to have a look at the department store and Mimi chose a pretty pink one, half pink and half opaque. I had a look inside and saw noticeable whitening of the internal metal base plate and said that I wanted to look at a "new" one. There was only one other in a box and and after inspecting it I noticed it too had a used look inside. I pointed it out to the sales person who said that someone previous had tried it and then chose another product. Not convinced by his explanation, I chose another model and inspected it after testing...clean as a whistle.

I don't know if its arrived like that from the SM stockist but I was surprised to find two products in a similar condition. Perhaps they were tried many times over with the consumer deciding to opt for another product. Who knows but just as always...buyer beware!

• Like 2

earthdome
Posted
Posted

One thing to note is that it is common to actually test the product before the purchase. For example when I bought my coffee pot they tested it at the store running some water through it to verify it worked. Another example is testing of light bulbs. I expect this is done to minimize returns of defective products.

• Like 3

Call me bubba
Posted
Posted (edited)
Another example is testing of light bulbs. I expect this is done to minimize returns of defective products.

one things i have NOTICED over the years when a new shipment of certain goods arrive in the store,

they(the store) will TEST EVERY ITEM.  once i asked them, you test them to make sure they work, correct? "yes sir".

then i asked ,of the many hundreds of items tested ,  how often do you find a non working item or defective ?,. they said only like 1 out of 500? was the reply.

i guess some companies are anal on defective items.

as it would be a charge back to the firm or "reducing the risk "of selling a defective product,

Fred n Mimi

:AddEmoticons04230:

thanks for the article so we can be more diligent on our shopping...

Edited by Pittman apartments Sgn
  • Like 2

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
I expect this is done to minimize returns of defective products.

I thought so too, until I found a defective light bulb and asked them for another.  They put the defective one back on the shelf to sell to someone else

• Like 2

MikeB
Posted
Posted

A couple months ago I was in a dept store considering to buy some device that needed 2 double AA batteries, not included. They took it over to the hardware counter and the guy pulled out a large plastic container of generic, cheapo batteries to test it. He went through about 10, all bad. Why throw away perfectly bad, dead batteries? Back into the container they went to be tested again and again. I decided I didn't really need whatever it was.   

• Like 5

Mike S
Posted
Posted

One thing to note is that it is common to actually test the product before the purchase. For example when I bought my coffee pot they tested it at the store running some water through it to verify it worked. Another example is testing of light bulbs. I expect this is done to minimize returns of defective products.

Yup they did the same thing when we bought our new electric coffee pot .... I suppose some people don't buy the item after testing it ... we watched a woman try out 2 different colored ones while we were waiting for ours to cool down ... she ended up just walking away and bought neither .....

Also saw some woman one time of apparent wealth have two store attendants follow her and her 2 helpers around the store carrying a single foam mattress and some bedding .... looked like a squad on patrol ..... she would stop pick up an item give it to them and off they went in single file .... she would stop get another item send back the last one and off they went ..... after about 30 mins. (I was waiting for them to find some furniture we wanted) she headed toward not the cashier but the exit as she passed right by me ..... she waved her hands about and had everyone put back EVERYTHING except a couple of pots which I assume she paid for ..... my asawa and I just stood there dumb founded .... but laughing as it was so comical ...... ya gotta love'um ..... :hystery: :hystery:

:cheersty:

• Like 2