Filipina Id Challenge

Pettersson
Posted
Posted

My Filipina gf has had a couple of challenging weeks trying to figure out how to get things prepared for our future life together. Everything started when I suggested she should open an ATM account in BPI to safely hold some funds I will be sending to her for various near future needs of ours. The bank told her that she needs three digitized IDs to open an account. The three IDs she has now are an old College ID (digitized), postal ID (non digitized) and NBI clearance (non digitized but possibly acceptable). Then she walked into BPO, and received even worse red tape there.

Someone (I think might have been the bank teller) suggested to her that if she gets a SSID her problem would be solved, as it somehow counts for multiple IDs?? So the gf goes to the SS office, but there she is told that either she needs to have past work credits (she has none, because her past employers never paid into SS for her and she is currently not working), or she needs to be self employed (now how would she prove that?), or she needs to be married to qualify for receiving a SSID. Well, a bit odd collection of optional requirements, but regardless seems to be no go for SSID as well for her until we get married (initially planned some time later next year).

Then my gf started looking into getting a passport, just to be ready for the visa process after our wedding in the case we decide to move out of the Philippines. Of course, passport would also be another qualified ID to get a bank account too. She told me that she needs three IDs for the passport application as well, but they don't accept her postal ID. Off the list of additional IDs that are acceptable for the passport authority she says that the only one she can get is called a Voters ID, but she can only get it after the next elections because they require that she has voted at least once before she can apply for the ID (sounds weird, is this accurate?)

I know she is making an honest effort there, but is obviously a bit inexperienced dealing with offices and bureaucrats like this, and at this point it just seems like a vicious circle. I would really appreciate if someone could advice us on how to get moving forward with this. I'm currently in the USA myself, and the gf is currently staying in our apartment in Cavite, if the location makes any difference to your recommendations. My next trip to the Philippines will be next month, in the case my presence with her would make any difference when applying.

I appreciate any constructive and preferably tested recommendations how to get these things moving.

MikeB
Posted
Posted

If you needed past work credits to register for SSS how could anyone register for the 1st time? I think she got some bad information:

"Generally, any person can readily register with the SSS as a prospective employee by accomplishing an SSS Form E-1 (Personal Record)".

http://voices.yahoo.com/how-register-philippine-social-security-6767508.html?cat=17

http://www.sss.gov.ph/sss/index2.jsp?secid=109&cat=2&pg=null

Not all SSS offices issue IDs.

• Like 1

i am bob
Posted
Posted

I have heard of others with the same issue regarding the Voters ID. Dumb, I know... And I do not know the final outcome for this one either. Just wanted to let you know that this issue has come up before.

Sent by Gaseous Monkeys using tin cans, a very long string and Tapatalk...

• Like 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
in the case my presence with her would make any difference when applying.

I firmly believe your presence would make all the difference in the world.

There is no centralized ID here (Like the Canadian S.I.N. for example). There are lots of fake ids available so establishments like banks have o be very careful.  When I did it for the first time (Helping my gf at that time to get good id) I sent her to an agency to help her get a passport.  I had to pay a couple thousand pesos but they managed to get all the required documents to push her passport app through.  Once she had a passport she used that id to get or renew other ids.  Its what worked for us.

• Like 2

Pettersson
Posted
Posted

in the case my presence with her would make any difference when applying.

I firmly believe your presence would make all the difference in the world.

I had to pay a couple thousand pesos but they managed to get all the required documents to push her passport app through.  Once she had a passport she used that id to get or renew other ids.  Its what worked for us.

That really sounds like a good plan. I did not realize there are agencies like that. How could I find one in Cavite? I would have no problem paying for professional help for getting this type of things done in efficient manner.

Pettersson
Posted
Posted

If you needed past work credits to register for SSS how could anyone register for the 1st time? I think she got some bad information:

"Generally, any person can readily register with the SSS as a prospective employee by accomplishing an SSS Form E-1 (Personal Record)".

http://voices.yahoo.com/how-register-philippine-social-security-6767508.html?cat=17

Coincidentally my gf recently learned from a friend of hers today that she can just more or less declare herself self employed, and after making first contribution she will be eligible for the Phil Health and receiving the SSS ID.  Apparently the SSS employeee she last spoke with was just not willing to give any truthful advice. And my gf wanted to surprise me with a band new SSS ID, and prove that she can figure things out herself too.  And I thought she had alreaady given up... :1 (103):

MikeB
Posted
Posted

It's really a shame the employees don't understand the rules of the agencies they work for. It says a lot about this country that you're better using (and paying) a private agency that actually understands what's required. The rules for what these agencies can do have been changed and changed again recently. Basically, they advise you what you need but cannot contact DFA or offer any kind of expedited service. I was going to use one for our child's passport but decided to do it on our own. Fairly painless.

http://www.gmanetwork.com/news/story/313241/pinoyabroad/news/dfa-allows-travel-agencies-to-assist-passport-applicants-but-on-limited-basis

• Like 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
Basically, they advise you what you need but cannot contact DFA or offer any kind of expedited service.

That was true in our case too, Mike. The advantage is in the agent knowing what is required by DFA, advising and helping in obtaining what is required, and advising what to say and not say at the interview.  Well worth the money as my helping her would have been the blind leading the blind at that time.

How could I find one in Cavite?

The agency we used is in Cebu so I cannot help with that.  But if it were me, I would start by asking any large travel agent there as it is often a part of their business to do passport assists.

• Like 2

Mike S
Posted
Posted (edited)

Coincidentally my gf recently learned from a friend of hers today that she can just more or less declare herself self employed, and after making first contribution she will be eligible for the Phil Health and receiving the SSS ID.  Apparently the SSS employeee she last spoke with was just not willing to give any truthful advice. And my gf wanted to surprise me with a band new SSS ID, and prove that she can figure things out herself too.  And I thought she had alreaady given up... :1 (103):

Well we were in the same boat .... I wanted to give my asawa a little extra income after I'm gone and she was old enough to get SSS .... plus she can get loans on her account should she need to ....

Here is what we found ... you may not enter into voluntary contribution unless you have income coming in OR have already paid into SSS .... as she had neither we had to set her up as self employed so we could contribute to her SSS .... so we came up with a business and went to the Brgy got her signed up as a resident of the Brgy and what type of business she has and then she could get her SSS card which took almost 1 year because of supposedly broken down equipment .... we understand it is now much faster .... just our first hand experience ..... :thumbsup: ..... this was done in Cebu City by the way

:cheersty:

Edited by Mike S
  • Like 2

Pettersson
Posted
Posted
Here is what we found ... you may not enter into voluntary contribution unless you have income coming in OR have already paid into SSS .... as she had neither we had to set her up as self employed so we could contribute to her SSS .... so we came up with a business and went to the Brgy got her signed up as a resident of the Brgy and what type of business

So my gf should do the same then, register herself as a resident of Brgy and also register her business type in the Brgy office?  Then just go to SSS office and try to again.  She had heard that it takes six months in Cavite to get the SSS ID once successfully applied for.  Anyone know if she can sign up for Phil Health as soon as application is in, or does she need to wait for the SSS ID to do that?