Filipina Id Challenge

Americano
Posted
Posted

Some banks also require proof of income to open an account, which in my wife's case was a copy of my Passport. A Passport in the USA has nothing to do with proving that you have income but there are stranger things in the Philippines.

Medic Mike
Posted
Posted

I feel your pain. I had the same drama with my ex-GF. I ended up opening an account myself, and just putting her on it as a joint account holder.

Thomas
Posted
Posted
She had heard that it takes six months in Cavite to get the SSS ID once successfully applied for. Anyone know if she can sign up for Phil Health as soon as application is in, or does she need to wait for the SSS ID to do that?
(As I have understood it, but I'm almost sure.)

Phil Health registrations can be done directly (if having at least a birth certificate). Such registrations and SSS has to be fast, because otherwice can't employers pay for their employee   :)

Phil Health can be volontaringly too even WITHOUT having an income.

Pettersson
Posted
Posted

Phil Health registrations can be done directly (if having at least a birth certificate). Such registrations and SSS has to be fast, because otherwice can't employers pay for their employee   :)

Thomas you are right but I think only partially. I have seen and heard from couple of sources that if she is married, she can register without job credits or income.  But if she wants to enroll in Phil Health and get a SSS ID prior to our wedding later next year, in other words enroll as still single woman, she needs to prove employment and income, at leas as a self employed person.

Pettersson
Posted
Posted

I feel your pain. I had the same drama with my ex-GF. I ended up opening an account myself, and just putting her on it as a joint account holder.

Yeah, a joint account in BPI (dollar-peso twin) would really be optimal for us, but since will be in Phils just as a toursit for at least another 14 months or so, I don't think that will be very easy either.  Well, I could always try to go to a bank and flash a thick stack of $100 bills and inquire if they have any interest :hystery:

Thomas
Posted
Posted

Thomas you are right but I think only partially. I have seen and heard from couple of sources that if she is married, she can register without job credits or income.  But if she wants to enroll in Phil Health and get a SSS ID prior to our wedding later next year, in other words enroll as still single woman, she needs to prove employment and income, at leas as a self employed person.

It was a while since I read it through, but I don't believe any JOINING need to depend of work, sex or marriage. (I mean except when joining ADDITIONAL family members, when having one member.)

You can check the alternatives here yourself

http://www.philhealth.gov.ph/members/

since will be in Phils just as a toursit for at least another 14 months or so, I don't think that will be very easy either.
E g earthdome got one on a tourist visa. Some banks say no and some yes, so you can go on asking different banks until you get a yes  :)

jon1
Posted
Posted

How about getting a Philippine Driver's license? That should be an acceptable ID.

I am with Thomas, shop around until you can find a bank manager that is amenable. She also might want to let the Manager know that she is trying to set up an account for support from abroad. Hint hint, wink, nudge, a FOREIGNER..... I ran into a similar roadblock for myself (on a Tourist Visa). I was able to convince a BPI Family Manager to allow me to open a USD account. When I moved from Manila I had roadblocks with opening an account in BPI in Mindanao (WTF?). I ended up coercing my BPI Family Bank Manager to give me a referral to the BPI Branch Manager that I was trying to open an account with to finally get one (reason for BPI vs BPI Family is that they are separate banks, not connected and no BPI Family branch available in Subic). Once I had that I was good. It ended up being all moot as I moved to Subic permanently and receive stellar service there every time. 

Once she has her US $ account, I would write her some checks the next time you are in country for deposit. Only if you are 100% convinced that she is trustworthy enough to not deposit them before the check date written on them. Believe it or not, the bank will still try to deposit a post dated check if proferred.....

• Like 1

i am bob
Posted
Posted (edited)

Going back to the Phil Health question... Note I don't have the answer but I have something I want to put out there and maybe get an answer on...

A person who is sponsored can be done so by the government, a corporation or by an individual. No problem. But the Phil Health web site states that, if a person has been sponsored and they are not sure that the sponsorship is being continued, they can register (and pay) under the Individually Paying membership. Why can't a person just do this to start with?

Sent by Gaseous Monkeys using tin cans, a very long string and Tapatalk...

Edited by I am bob

Thomas
Posted
Posted
How about getting a Philippine Driver's license? That should be an acceptable ID.
Oh I forgot to think of that. Such can be BOUGHT!!!  :mocking:

(I know a Filipina, who has a "real" driver's license, although she has NEVER driven a car !  :hystery:

Someone told he had been offered by the office to pay to get one fast, WITHOUT a test, instead of having to wait long time to MAKE the test   :th_unfair:      I believe he said the price was 2200p or so.  So not odd the traffic in RP is crazy...  :bash:

• 3 weeks later...
Pettersson
Posted
Posted

Just wanted to collectively thank everyone for the various advice. I have decided to go to visit a few BPI branches in December when I'm in the PI next time to find out if we can find one that let us open a joint account. Thinking about pleading that I will need a setup to transfer "large" sums to my future wife to pay for her hospital expenses (her growing belly as a proof) and to help her family in Leyte while they are recovering from the typhoon.

We are also planning on visiting the SSS office to see if the their rules are more flexible in my presence, as I have heard stories about some variability there as well.

Thomas' mention about getting a drivers license "fast" is interesting as well, but I don't think I am brave and experienced enough with Filipino officials yet to attempt anything like that at this time.

I will give an update in January about how things went. In the meanwhile, feel free to offer additional ideas.