Filipina Id Challenge

Thomas
Posted
Posted
Thomas' mention about getting a drivers license "fast" is interesting as well, but I don't think I am brave and experienced enough with Filipino officials yet to attempt anything like that at this time.
You don't need to do anything  :)   except perhaps follow your wife to the office, so the handler see she has a kano husband.

She, who I told about, who has a drivers license without ever driven a car, is from Samar. (But I don't know if she got it there, she is in Manila mostly nowadays.)

I don't remember where (Cebu island ?) someone told in forum he was offered the "fast solution" WITHOUT ASKING.

But I don't believe all handlers make such offers. Some actions have been done to try to stop/reduce corruption since then too. So it isn't sure your wife will be offered it,

jpbago
Posted
Posted

We had no trouble opening up 2 joint savings accounts at 2 different BDOs on the first attempts. We needed our passports, my tourist ACR card, and her voter's ID. They would not accept her Ontario government issued photo ID. To wire transfer money from Canada, we needed a TIN card (tax identification number) The TIN card is a paper card that you attach your own photo to and then laminate it. Now, I wish that we had used BPI instead as the BDO ATMs are often offline. Not a big problem as you can always just go to a cashier.

We have 2 Philhealth policies, one for me and one for my common law wife, 2 daughters and mother both called individual paid plans. You need passports or birth certificates for them. Maybe a utility bill too (water, electric or internet/phone).

• Like 1

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted

I swear each branch of these yokel banks must be a franchise!   We got different rules everywhere we asked.  But my girlfriend got a BPI account with her barangay voters ID only.  And we are not even in the same province as her barangay.

• Like 1

Steve & Myrlita
Posted
Posted

I swear each branch of these yokel banks must be a franchise!   We got different rules everywhere we asked.  But my girlfriend got a BPI account with her barangay voters ID only.  And we are not even in the same province as her barangay.

Yes sir. Exactly right. Each branch is an independent franchise with their own rules. If one branch denies, try a different one. You're very likely to find a friendly one.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
Pettersson
Posted
Posted

Just wanted to post an update on the bank account part of this topic.  My fiance and I went to BPI branch in Cavite during my visit in the Philippines over the holidays, and were able to open a dollar account-peso account pair in her name.  The branch manager told us that she has the authority to grant exceptions in the ID rules for my fiance, but that she could not add my name on the joint account unless I have either ACR card or marriage certificate to show.  However, she was willing to let my fiance open the accounts initially in her name only and advised me that as soon as I can show a proof of our marriage she can very easily add my name on the accounts.  This is perfectly workable solution for us, as I can still use the ATM and online access to manage the accounts as necessary, regardless of whose name is on the account.  The branch manager indicated that what will justify her to grant the exception to my fiance in this case was the fact that she was able to fill in the form a monthly income of over 50k php as an "allowance from the USA".  The only requirement for proof was my presence there telling her that this is the amount I will be sending her monthly.  I also gave her my business card with a logo of a well known Fortune 500 company that also has a presence in the Philippines, and allowed her to make a copy of my US passport to have some proof in the record for my capability of providing such monthly funds to my future wife.  The only IDs my fiance was able to (and required to) show were a digitized school ID, PNP clearance, and some kind of wrinkled and faded  paper from her barangay that showed her SSS number.

So, what definitely was proven was the fact that there will be room for some flexibility if one just finds a way to convince the branch manager that it is good business for the bank to allow you (or gf) open an account.

This time we did not have time to address other issues related to gaining additional forms of ID for my fiance to submit a passport application yet, so still trying to figure out that one.

• Like 2

jpbago
Posted
Posted
and some kind of wrinkled and faded  paper from her barangay that showed her SSS number.

My wife has applied for SSS membership today. Filled out a form at the office (terribly slow, went there at 10 am, got #131, went back at 2:30 pm still at #118. Big room, millions of pinoys unemployed and they got 3 people working in SSS office in city of 160,000)  If she is not working, for monthly income, the kano allowance is accepted. Next we pay monthly/yearly contributions, then get ID. Benefits are OK. SSS ID is widely accepted. As is voter's card.

PS: We got lots of those wrinkled and faded papers. Ours also has termite holes.  :no:

Americano
Posted
Posted

How will SSS be a benefit?  Will your wife receive more from SSS than she pays in?  I heard SSS pays very little after retirement but I don't know the facts. 

Call me bubba
Posted
Posted

How will SSS be a benefit?  Will your wife receive more from SSS than she pays in?  I heard SSS pays very little after retirement but I don't know the facts. 

Of what I have heard ,by both asking and reading the SSS site.

your salary level or contribution is at the 10k level, your benefit is 40% of that,4000p plus 500p=4500

also SSS have some other benefits, as Maternity  salary loan. Educational loan. & Burial benefit .

excuse going off topic but i needed to answer your post.

• Like 2

jpbago
Posted
Posted

SSS benefits: See the recent post on college costs. After paying for 12 months, which we did yesterday, one can borrow up to 20,000p per semester per student, for college tuition, loan is due 1 year after graduation, interest is 6% on half and zero on half. Half is from the government and half from SSS. SSS ID is widely accepted. We pay 4620p per year or 385p per month, then after 3 years she is eligible for pension of 1,500p per month years from now and death benefit of 18,000p. It is like all pensions....if you live long, then you collect a monthly pension for many months, or if you die young, then you get nothing. My friend is 93 and has bean getting his pension for 33 years. I have other friends or had, that paid into the fund for 30 years and then died without retiring. Similar to any medical insurance...you don't now if you will ever collect but it is nice to have. SSS also pays some of your hospital bill. Look at their website.

• Like 2