Rememberence Day

Jake
Posted
Posted

I have the greatest respect for all of those people who have made such great sacrifices for their countries and our freedom!

By coincidence, yesterday we stopped at some memorials here in Subic Bay.  We had passed by many times, but never had seen them up close.  One of them is the Hell Ships Memorial, and I read up on it a bit when I got home.  I may have heard of the Hell Ships before, but I did not know a lot.  It was certainly a terrible time for humanity.  My pictures of the monument did not come out good because of the bright sun to the back, but here is a web site about the memorial, with some extra links in it if you want to read more.

http://www.hmdb.org/marker.asp?marker=68846

Thank you OMW for your discovery of Hell Ships during WWII.  Below is a quotation from that article.  I never realize

how much the Aussies lost so much of their countrymen:

Inscription on the fourth monolith:

Australian Commonwealth Military Forces

When World War broke out nearly one million Australians, from a population of only seven million, proudly stepped

forward to serve. In bitter fighting in Southeast Asia and the Pacific, Australia suffered some 17,500 fatalities including

over 700 civilian casualties. More than 22,000 Australians were taken as prisoners-of-war, and of those some 8,000

perished under the brutal conditions imposed by the Japanese. The sinking of the Hellship Montevideo Maru alone

accounted for over 1,000 military and civilian deaths. This monument recognizes Australia’s contribution and sacrifice

in defense of the ideals of freedom. May future generations never forget these brave men and women who gave their

lives in the service of Australia.

Respectfully -- Jake

• Like 4

OldUgly&Cranky
Posted
Posted

one of the greatest moments in my life was when i got to spend the night with my great uncle in wales when i was in the uk and talk about home and the war he told me so many things was so happy to have somebody from home spend time with him , even showed me his war wound he got shot threw the arm when he was a tail gunner ! tuff old guy im glad to have had that time with him coz i knew it made his day to see family from home ! god bless all that served !!!

O-U-C :thumbsup:

• Like 3