Benigno Aquino Says Death Toll Likely Lower Than Feared

SubicSteve
Posted
Posted

And STILL not a word or centavo from the rich families that steal from their countrymen daily.  Only wish the media would shame them into helping, or better yet see an uprising on social media sites telling everyone to mob the department stores and send the stuff where it is needed.

FINALLY!!!!!!

That only took a week.

http://newsinfo.inquirer.net/528607/countrys-richest-come-together-for-typhoon-victims

• Like 4

MikeB
Posted
Posted

The article dated today on Sy's p100m donation is not a breaking story, it was first reported on the 12th - http://www.philstar.com/headlines/2013/11/12/1255759/phls-top-corporations-chip-typhoon-victims

He had originally donated 5 million the day after the storm but increased it when the scope of the need became apparent. 

• Like 3

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted

It is good to see some of the countries' rich are helping out.  Now if some politicians would actually get involved....

• Like 1

SubicSteve
Posted
Posted

It is good to see some of the countries' rich are helping out.  Now if some politicians would actually get involved....

HA!!!!

Perhaps the survivors, and the whole country would be better off if they just stayed out of it.........FOREVER

• Like 3

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted (edited)

Good one Steve.  :thumbsup:  I'm sure they will find a way to steal some of the donations.

Edited by Old55
  • Like 3

Mike S
Posted
Posted

You know these guys didn't make their money by being stupid ..... and waiting to see what needed to be done and who was going to do what is not a bad way to go ..... after all they are Filipino and know what usually happens to misappropriated funds ..... or when government gets it's fingers into the pie .... it is really good to see them fixing problems rather than just donating money which we all know will disappear like a morning mist ..... seems like they have their head and hearts in the right direction ..... JMHO

:cheersty:

• Like 3

Thomas
Posted
Posted
I'm glad the big support is finally arriving. I hope the doctors in all of these makeshift hospitals get the support they need to treat the injured and sick.
A Swede in Doctors Without Borders told they had put up a "hospital" where the old one was flatened. They concentrate on doing harder surgeries, locals doing all other, but they were out of most supply even swabs. But that interview was from 2-3 days ago, so I hope that's solved now.

(Sweden had a big donation campaign program whole day yesterday in one of the main TV channels. I don't know the end result yesterday, but it started good, 18 million reached allready 10 am. (Sweden has few citizens, less than the Filipins, who got their homes destroyed by this typhon  :boohoo:

• Like 1

earthdome
Posted
Posted

I follow a lot of local news sources in my home state. I am finding articles in many local newspapers about local groups raising money for Yolanda sometimes organized my Philippine-Americans.

• Like 1

i am bob
Posted
Posted

We here in Canada are raising a lot of money as well...  I can't give exact figures right now but the Canadian government is matching every dollar donated with another dollar - along with what the government has already donated beyond this.  

It is difficult for anyone in government to do anything.  As soon as a peso is spent in one area, all the politicians in the other areas start screaming about special treatment.  As soon as a peso is designated to help other areas, the politician involved is accused of helping only areas that voted for him / her - regardless of whether this is true or not.  It is a political minefield trying to help the people  you were elected to help and that includes the entire country!

• Like 2

Steve & Myrlita
Posted
Posted

That's probably why that American General who recently arrived said do not allow the Philippines Govt any access to the aid. That speaks volumes.

• Like 5