Shipping Package From Philippines Back To U S A

earthdome
Posted
Posted

During my recent vacation in Palawan I picked up a nice 6 person place setting made of capiz shells to send back to the neighbor woman who is watching my home and car for me.

The question is what is the best options for shipping packages back to the USA?

• Like 2

Mike S
Posted
Posted

Good question ..... normally you hear of the other way around ..... LBC works good I've heard but kinda pricey ..... hopefully someone will come up with a good answer ....

:cheersty:

earthdome
Posted
Posted

Stopped by both LBC and FedEx today to check on shipping a package back to the USA.

Turns out that sea shells, the 6 place dinner setting set is made from capiz shells, require a permit to export, cost around 250 pesos. In addition you have to provide a Philippine tax id number (TIN) and a photo of the items being shipped.

LBC would not ship the item because they said it was too breakable.

FedEx will ship if you meet the sea shell export requirements but the cost will be 3500 pesos for a 2.5kg package.

The 6 place dinner setting only cost me 780 pesos and I saw the same set in SM today for 1000 pesos.

I asked about putting the capiz shell souvenir in your luggage if you were flying back to the USA. Technically you would still be required to meet the export requirement.

Not sure what I will do now. I was expecting to have to pay 1000-2000 pesos to ship this back to the USA.

earthdome
Posted
Posted

I ended up using the Philippine Postal Service. The cost was going to be 2800p to ship express mail or 2300 to ship postal air including packaging. Express Mail would have taken about 1 week, air postal 3-4 weeks. This was for a 2.2kg package. I decided to try air postal. I will update this when the package arrives.

What is interesting is that I did not have to get any special export permit when I used the philippine postal service.

anthonytt
Posted
Posted

Good to know... Hope it gets there on time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JJReyes
Posted
Posted
What is interesting is that I did not have to get any special export permit when I used the philippine postal service.

The assumption is shipments using LBC or FedEx are commercial goods. Even a single piece is treated as a merchant's sample. If sent through the postal service, the package is personal effects or gifts. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
earthdome
Posted
Posted

The package arrived in the US undamaged and took 3 weeks using the philippine air postal service.

• Like 4

• 5 weeks later...
Kenneth Moore
Posted
Posted

I am shipping (or trying to ship) items back to Canada.  I have found that shipping by air cargo is much cheaper than by sea...yup go figure that out.  It's price is per KG and they will take almost anything.  It's more expensive here, big surprise, than in any other country that I've shipped from but it still cheaper that surface. Fed ex and all the other couriers are outrageously expensive in comparison.   It's only taken me 4 months to get a quote..and imagine, I'm still waiting on one.  Imagine what it would be like if there was an once of customer service.  One is JTR international. the other is CWW cargo express  I'm sure there are others... but try and get a quote!  Hahahaha