St Yolanda, Cash Donations Subject To Tax

Fred & Mimi
Posted
Posted

Cash donations made to privately-led groups assisting typhoon victims remain subject to donor's tax, the Philippines' tax chief said.

However, Bureau of Internal Revenue (BIR) Commissioner Sixto Esquivias IV failed to provide tax rates while testifying before the Senate sub-finance committee chaired by Senator Miriam Defensor-Santiago.

“Donations done straight to private individuals are subject to donor’s tax," Esquivias said. “Donations to government and charitable institutions are exempt."

Full Story Here

• Like 4

Markham
Posted
Posted

It's worse than that apparently or so I read. International aid agencies that do not use the DSWD to distribute their imported aid goods will have to pay an ad valorem tax.

• Like 3

Thomas
Posted
Posted

“Donations done straight to private individuals are subject to donor’s tax,"

Interesting ..... so all you guys that send money to your girlfriends they are subject to being taxed ..... hell .... they can't even collect the tax owed to them by companies here in the Phils .... :mocking: :mocking:

:cheersty:

Actualy if you earn money taxable IN RP, you can get  REDUCED TAX for each person who live on your money.   (I don't remember the rules, but I believe 25 000 per person per year. (Deduction for max (5 ?) I suppouse some max, because otherwice no one with big family would pay tax  :lol:

• Like 1

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted

Yeah, I was reading about that.  Getting ridiculous.  But you know a lot of the same stuff went on in New York after 9/11.  Churches were letting people sleep there and were threatened by the city because they were not approved shelters.  City officials kicked people out onto the streets.  The Red Cross got more money than they could distribute to New York victims (lot of rules about charitable distributions) and people were mad when they used the money elsewhere... Anytime politicians or lawyers get involved you will get this crap. 

• Like 4

Papa Carl
Posted
Posted

Just another way of keeping control of the money that pores into the Philippines, and making sure it goes into the hands of corrupt officials!

They don't like the idea that a foreign agency can do a better job than they can, and are afraid someone will prove it, so they keep the money running through their own corrupt hands.

The rich get richer and the poor stay poor!

It is all about keeping control, Marcus knew how to do it well, but look what happened to him.

Papa Carl

• Like 3

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted

Marcos?  You mean the guy who still has a widow & son in politics?  Yeah... I don't understand it either...  ha ha   :tiphat:

brock
Posted
Posted (edited)

This story is from the year 2009, Is it still in force now.

It doesn't mention typhoon yolanda,

Edited by brock

JJReyes
Posted
Posted

Members of this forum are exempt from paying the donor's tax. It applies to donations of P100,000 or more. Realistically, we are not included, unless there are multimillionaires and centimillionaires lurking within the group. 

Dougbert
Posted
Posted

Members of this forum are exempt from paying the donor's tax. It applies to donations of P100,000 or more. Realistically, we are not included, unless there are multimillionaires and centimillionaires lurking within the group. 

I think you meant multi-thousandaires...

100kphp / 43 = 2,326USD  which is not at all an unreasonable amount for an American to donate.  Or did you mean 100k USD (in which case I agree)?