Where Is The Disconnect?? Filipina Is Telling Me $1K Is A Lot!!

pokermike
Posted
Posted

I am finding these places as you guys say with boots on the ground. i never look on line to rent , but i do look for the same units on line that i am interested in to compare prices and make sure i am getting a bargain or at least saving some money. Usually i am finding the units i am looking for are right around 80,000 pesos per month. I have gone to so many area and now only have a few i am interested in. I will then have my wife and her aunt talk to the owners or agent for the properties and try to cut deals or get ideas of the costs and see if there is any wiggle room. They are moslty high end properties,  i also check with other persons living in the units to see what they pay. My wife and her aunt have been told the kano prices many times , because the owners  or agents knew there was someone with money behind them somewhere. But in most cases it was just the regular rate, costs on rentals seem to be going up fast.

The two areas i am focusing on now are angeles city and mactan.  In angels city the units i like start at 48,000 pesos for a one bedroom. In Mactan the costs are much higher . In Mactan i stayed in the condos i like, a month ago. it is my favorite, I rented a 2 bedrooom because thats the unit i am thinking of leasing. The cost per night was 15,000 pesos. The rent will over 80,000 pesos per month. I still will continue looking, i go there about every three months, the trip  is expensive, but in the long run i agree that there is nothing better than boots on the ground. Every trip costs me about 400,000 pesos.  

I sure wish somebody could find me a place i like for less money. i figure there i will be paying more for my rental than the cost of my house here in Scottsdale Arizona , i pay $1600 a month or 68,000 pesos so my monthly cost of housing will go up.                            later poker mike

MikeB
Posted
Posted

The two areas i am focusing on now are angeles city and mactan.  In angels city the units i like start at 48,000 pesos for a one bedroom. In Mactan the costs are much higher . In Mactan i stayed in the condos i like, a month ago. it is my favorite, I rented a 2 bedrooom because thats the unit i am thinking of leasing. The cost per night was 15,000 pesos. The rent will over 80,000 pesos per month.

Why in the world would you pay these kinds of prices to live in a 3rd world country like the Philippines? Vacations are one thing, I've blown 5 grand easy in a few weeks but living here is another matter entirely. Paying more in the Philippines doesn't equate to a better product, service or "top end" property. I think you need to look harder, maybe rethink your strategy.

• Like 2

cebu rocks
Posted
Posted

Condos are way over priced you can find some pretty big nice homes for 80,000 p with a pool etc . I have seen many condos in that price range though I guess people find a reason to pay that most likely security and noise and convenience .  

MikeB
Posted
Posted

I see, well I guess if you spent every waking minute inside your beautiful condo it might be worth it. I'm doubtful that buys better "security" though. About 6 months ago a German living in a "high end" place a little south of me was shot in the head by a security guard as he stood outside HIS bungalow. The guard mistook him for a burglar and opened fire killing the man. Mistakes happen. 

Thomas
Posted
Posted
When I say "make a good friend," I'm not thinking of a girlfriend...just a friend. Invite them over for dinner sometimes, play sports together, just chat, whatever. If they are asking for money, this is not the kind of "good friend" I mean. I know many cynical foreigners who would never believe that there are those kinds of Filipinos, but as I've said in other posts, if you respect them, they will respect you and expect only friendship in return. (By no means meaning this is always the case!)
Yes, but note it's Filipin culture it's expected the one with most money pay for ALL - and they believe all foreigners are rich    :)

And don't be suprised if the friend bring friends    :)

I see, well I guess if you spent every waking minute inside your beautiful condo it might be worth it. I'm doubtful that buys better "security" though. About 6 months ago a German living in a "high end" place a little south of me was shot in the head by a security guard as he stood outside HIS bungalow. The guard mistook him for a burglar and opened fire killing the man. Mistakes happen. 

Well. Was it realy a "misstake" and not idiotic incompetence...?

That's not the only time Filipin guards kill them they are suppoused to protect    -  or DON'T try to stop attacks...

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted

The two areas i am focusing on now are angeles city and mactan.  In angels city the units i like start at 48,000 pesos for a one bedroom. In Mactan the costs are much higher . In Mactan i stayed in the condos i like, a month ago. it is my favorite, I rented a 2 bedrooom because thats the unit i am thinking of leasing. The cost per night was 15,000 pesos. The rent will over 80,000 pesos per month.

Why in the world would you pay these kinds of prices to live in a 3rd world country like the Philippines? Vacations are one thing, I've blown 5 grand easy in a few weeks but living here is another matter entirely. Paying more in the Philippines doesn't equate to a better product, service or "top end" property. I think you need to look harder, maybe rethink your strategy.

agree with you Mike,

I would be buying a condo at 80000+ peso pm not renting. There are many places for sale on Mactan if Pokermike is that hooked on the place

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
Craig Albert Witfill
Posted
Posted

So you guys think I can live on $830 a month If I had too? I know I need more but just in the income does come in more then $830? I just need to know this?

Thanks

John Mogusar
Posted
Posted

So you guys think I can live on $830 a month If I had too? I know I need more but just in the income does come in more then $830? I just need to know this?

Thanks

Read through these two threads carefully:

http://www.philippines-expats.com/topic/20882-part-2-can-i-live-on-2000-a-month-in-the-philippines/

http://www.philippines-expats.com/topic/17597-can-i-really-live-on-1000-a-month-in-the-philippines/

I'm one of those that can live comfortably and happily on less money than many others in this forum. However, $830 is probably the BARE MINIMUM a foreigner needs for living expenses--at least to start out with.  If you are not accustomed to Philippines' culture, plan on going over budget for a few months. You will have NO disposable income at $830. You will need to cook your own meals and some meals may be ramen noodles. After living in the Philippines a while, you can learn to reduce some of your costs and $830 would be a little more doable...but still a strain on any foreigner's way of life.

I am initially planning on a $1000 USD a month budget (increasing after six months). I spent three years outside of Cebu City. $1000 (for me) will be additional food (and eating out), but very strict on the rest of my budget. As I've said before, being in the Philippines is like a permanent vacation, so I don't need much extra spending cash--but it's always nice to have.

In addition, if you do not have a fair savings, I would advise against it.

• Like 1

Thomas
Posted
Posted

Thanks

You don't tell much about your situation.

For instance:

/do you have a Filipina gf/wife?    An ECONOMICAL good Filipina, withouut family asking much money, can REDUCE your "kano costs" more than the costs for her...

/which VISA type do you plan to have?   If you have a Filipina WIFE, then she can reduce that too   :)   (Balinkbayan "Visa" )

/do you expect to visit your home country?

/Do you risk to get high medical costs?  (I mean OTHER than accidents.)

/Living where it's expensive or living where it's cheap?    :)    It's BIG difference betweem different locations.

In general:

/One Filipin family I know a bit, live of 5000p / month EIGHTEEN persons

/and a foreigner with Filipina wife and two kids lived of a litle bit more than 5000p, but then he lived as a Filipino in a Nipa hut.

So sure it's POSSIBLE to live of 830 USD.

I'm pretty sure I can live (rather*) convinient of 1000 USD plus "kano costs" (VISA, visit home country 1 time in 1-2 years, and the part of the higher "kano" prices, which I don't manage to avoid.)    IF I can avoid to get high costs for assisting family-in-law.  I plan to give them some "Help-to-self-help" in STARTUP, including teach them how they can earn more THEMSELVES.  Then I at least get argument to not need to assist them no more, if THEY screw up   :)   I will NOT support any, who don't do their best themselves   (except wife will get 5000 or so of her own money for her own use, which she can decide herself if she want to share with her family.)

*Living rural. Big stone house, but simple finnish. Land with some own fruit trees. Freezer. Internet at home but slow. Simple car. Hobby equipments so I have low costs for DOING the hobbies after I have bought the equipments.

I DON'T plan to send my kids to college/university, because I expect they will be clever enough  :)  to do as I did    =Make SELF studies (and make tests direct, if/when bother about geting grades.)

Of course it cost more in STARTUP when you settle and need to buy some things for the home.

• Like 2

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

So you guys think I can live on $830 a month If I had too? I know I need more but just in the income does come in more then $830? I just need to know this? Thanks

Craig, we have spent over a year discussing a living cost of $1000, recently this has escallated to $2000, now my advice is to trawl through the many Posts on both Topics and you will see that not many seem to be able to do either. Now i am not sure, based on both these threads/topics that you will get favourable answers to your latest and I am afraid to say, much asked Question. 

For me I know I could do it. Luckily I don't have to, This is one of those Boots on the ground issues only you will be able to answer.

It really does depend on what you are looking For. What are you Seeking. Age, Marital Status and Extended family of a lady will have Big bearings on expenditure, Your habits, your desires, wants and needs. 

"How long is a piece of String" comes to mind but and there is Always a but. NO one here is trying to be negative but we have stories of guys not making it on $3000 a month One even $7000 so it is a big ball game out there and we don't seem to have found the level playing field Yet.

When are you venturing to join us here? Have or will you have a nest egg for the medical Bit. Hard Hitting OH NO! Reality at its honesty

I will say tongue in cheek, Don't bye Rose coloured Glasses, you will not keep them Long.

As with many of us I wish you well but please do some home Work  :thumbsup:

JP

• Like 5