Where Is The Disconnect?? Filipina Is Telling Me $1K Is A Lot!!

AllenInWV
Posted
Posted

I'm really looking for something less urban than Manila. Right now, Baguio City is looking very nice....or perhaps somewhere in the near distance. Reading these posts, I'm finding myself looking around my current home and saying "I can do without that".

Air conditioning is not required. A fan will suffice nicely. I rarely use my stove, but I think what electrical kitchen items I need will be determined by how the local food is cooked. I really expect to make heavy use of whatever local market there is. Internet is a requirement. With it, I am sure I could satisfy most of my entertainment needs. Can you get Netflix in the PR?? LOL An "on-demand" water heater (I assume these are similar to the ones in Europe?) is something else I'd want.

Tuka, you made the comment about "running water".....is that a luxury? I mean I would suppose in the super rural parts (Nipa huts, etc. etc.) it might be, but is it that prevalent?

• Like 1

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

On demand water is the norm in Philippines something that would be on my wish list too. Some expats do ok without aircon not so sure you should write it off.

Depending the location you live prepared local food is very common. A small one burner hot plate would do well. Fresh fish tropical fruit and some vegetables are cheap and easy to find.

• Like 1

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted
...I am sure I could satisfy most of my entertainment needs. Can you get Netflix in the PR?? LOL An "on-demand" water heater...

Tuka, you made the comment about "running water".....is that a luxury? I mean I would suppose in the super rural parts (Nipa huts, etc. etc.) it might be, but is it that prevalent?

Well I am in  a nipa and had to add a water tower and pump.  My landlord is in a cement house and hauls water from the well (she also has no refrigerator).  But I am 16 k out of the city, they think that is far for some reason.  Out here running water is about 50/50.  But easy to get if you want. The pump and tower/tank cost maybe p3,000?  For heat I use a submersible heater in the tower.  I have a 2 pole switch so I can turn it off completely.  I only run it about 1 hour before my shower, then let about 5 gallons run until I get warm water.

I use Netflix and YouTube for most of my entertainment - a surprising number of full movies on YouTube.  My connection is pretty bad so I download the YouTube movies and watch them later, offline.  The Netflix works great some days and is constantly buffering some days.  To get Netflix you will have to use a VPN.  There are numerous free ones but I use VyperVPN for, I think, $15 a month?  I switch it to London and watch BBC too.   I just have not found a good source for first run American TV shows.

• Like 1

BrettGC
Posted
Posted
I just have not found a good source for first run American TV shows.

eztv.it is the best torrent site for TV shows mate

• Like 1

AllenInWV
Posted
Posted

Tuka, your lifestyle sounds intriguing. I may have to look more into that. Thanks for the input.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

earthdome
Posted
Posted

Most homes have water in Baguio. Normally from a gravity fed water tank. The tank is filled from either city water, a deep well or water delivery. In my case my water tank is filled 2-3 times a week from city water and I use less than the minimum usage which costs 370pesos/month. It can get pretty cold at night in Baguio so I have an on demand shower hot water heater. For drinking water I have a floor standing hot/cold water dispenser for the 5 gal drinking water bottle.

There is no need for air conditioning in Baguio with daytime temperatures normally in the 70's. My electric bill normally runs 800-1000 pesos/month.

Most vegetables are inexpensive in Baguio since they are grown locally. Some vegetables and fruits can be seasonal and cost more when out of season or may not even be available. Seafood and fish can be more expensive since seafood and most fish have to be trucked in from the coast.

The only electrical kitchen items I use are the refrigerator, microwave, coffee grinder, coffee pot, water dispenser, rice cooker and a blender for smoothies. Ohh, I also have a range hood with light and exhaust fan for the stove.

There are many options for high speed internet here in Baguio. Mostly DSL or wireless sticks from a number of different internet service providers.

• Like 2

stevewool
Posted
Posted

Some very good info here especially about the "western way of living" ..... it all depends on how well YOU can adapt to living here .... now you can continue living like you do in the country you come from OR you can adapt your life style to your new country of residences ..... now I'm not talking about living in a nipa hut (although some foreigners do) and there is certainty nothing wrong with that .... but we rent a newly built townhouse for p7000 ( $162.79 US)

Our biggest expense is food ... we like to eat but not foreign types ..... she cooks everyday but actually only one ulam (main one dish meal) she cooks enough for supper and only has to reheat it ..... unlike in western societies where both lunch and supper are cooked separately .... of course rice is cooked separately for each meal ....  :thumbsup:  :hystery:  ..... the food is usually NOT put into the frig after it is cooked and is placed under a plastic cover on the table until it is eaten or reheated ..... another totally unheard of custom in the US ..... been living here over 6 years and have never been sick yet ..... of course things with mayo etc. are kept in the frig .... if you choose to go the foreign food route you are going to pay a lot more .... not so much because we are foreigners but because the market for the stuff is far less than the cost native foods ..... our monthly bill for food generally comes to around p17,000  ($395) this includes eating out every now and then .....

Electric runs us about p1400 ($32) but no aircon (a/c) didn't use it in Florida and we don't use it here .... we use gasul (propane) for cooking and a portable water heater for heating bath water (only in the winter) .... we have a microwave .... turbo broiler ... TV .... computer ... fans and other small appliances .... but no total electric house like in the US ....

Internet and telephone runs us p1300 ($30) for 2Mbps service .... and p1090 ($25) for Cignal Satellite TV service .... get about 74 channels

We have a Kia Sportage SUV and spend about p1000 ($23) for diesel per month .... but that does change a bit .... mostly up .. not down .... :mocking:

Those are our biggest expenses BUT I am on a 13a visa (married permanent resident visa) so no visa costs or runs (out of the country)

We don't drink .... smoke or party so no costs there ..... we do however have insurance .... my asawa's SSS ... etc. that are not monthly bills but do have to be paid and other expenses such as drinking water at p35x2 per week .....

This will give you a rough idea how we live on $1100 per month but then we also have some set aside for emergencies if need be ..... and we also don't have to support the family ... they all have jobs but we send her mother a small bit each month to do with as she feels fit ....

Can you live like this .... I have no idea ... no two people live of think a like .... just showing you it is possible .... possible for you .... only you know for sure and you won't know that unless you try it HERE .... not from your arm chair in the US .... JMHO

I will say this that if it wasn't for my asawa I couldn't live as cheaply as we do .... no way .... a good woman will make the biggest different in how you can live .... and just like finding one that is thrifty .... you can also find one that will drive you into the poor house .... that choice is also yours .... but that my friend is a topic for another thread .....  :thumbsup:  :hystery:  :hystery:  :hystery:

:cheersty:

very well put,

• Like 1

stevewool
Posted
Posted

If you have a budget, then you have to live on that amount, it can be done if you want it to happen, makes me smile when most of us wants to be in another place but we still want our so called western things,

Myself i want to get ride of my western things, ie work, stress, crap weather, did i mention STRESS, and just the speed of our the western world moves by,

I know i could live on a very low amount and rental is the way we will be going when the time comes, but we shall have a base in the Phils my wifes family home, but i want to see more of the other places so rental here and there and for as long as we are wanting too,

The most important thing is having that savings for the just in case things, so yes what ever the figure is say £500 a month to live but £50,000 in reserve for the just incase, just my thoughts

• Like 3

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted
Our biggest expense is food ... if you choose to go the foreign food route you are going to pay a lot more

I just made a trip to the city for some foreign items... 2 bags of food for p2,100!  And we still have to go grocery shopping tomorrow ha ha  I don't do it often - but sometimes even canned tamales look good  Cheese from Scotland, chips from Texas (real Lays!), Hormel chili, sausages...       :tiphat:

• Like 4

AllenInWV
Posted
Posted (edited)

Earthdome, can you put a number (in Fahrenheit ) to "pretty cold" LOL

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by AllenInWV