Where Is The Disconnect?? Filipina Is Telling Me $1K Is A Lot!!

i am bob
Posted
Posted

Sorry guys but I don't think you really getting the point.  We aren't talking about what toys you want to retire with.  Heck, I'd love to have the Trump Towers in Manila and live in the penthouse so I can avoid all the heat and pollution but is that a requirement? And who's going to pay for it? There is a certain level we need to live a normal life and then the rest is gravy.  If there is something you want to have in your life, then, that's fine!  But why tell somebody who may not want or need that item that they can't live in the Philippines without it?  

Ok, so maybe I need coffee and another nap...    :morning1:

BrettGC
Posted
Posted (edited)

As you yourself stated Bob, it's about what each of us consider indispensable to be able to live in PI so it is a very subjective topic from the start.  We're all just stating where we draw our individual lines and and giving the OP something to consider in making his decision. It may or may not be relevant to him, but they're all factors that we have taken into account and he can agree or not depending on his individual circumstances/wants/needs, I'm happy in a remote "city" in the provinces forsaking what others deem important in their lives, I have different priorities, others are happy in a more metropolitan environment and all that goes with that.  To each his own.  I believe that's the basis of the original inquiry.  

Edit:  Yep, go have a coffee.

Edited by BrettGC
  • Like 2

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted

Yeah, the problem is what is needed for you may be different than what is needed for me.

Which is part of the reason the Filipinos will say that $1,000 is more than enough - because they cannot imagine spending more than that!  I just read a Facebook post saying you need a minimum of p30,000 for a 'decent' apartment.  So obviously his needs are different than mine.  And most Filipinos would not dream of spending over $600 a month on rent.    :tiphat:

• Like 2

i am bob
Posted
Posted

Which is part of the reason the Filipinos will say that $1,000 is more than enough - because they cannot imagine spending more than that!  I

There's something to that.  I told my gf we were going to live on 35K a month basic expenses.  She thought that was HUGE money.  Then I got her to write down every peso we spend in a month and her conclusion is that 35K a month is a starvation budget.

Not many people I know ever live to their budget either...!  

Including ME!  

:attention:

But that's because of personal choice, not that I was buying things I needed...  Like another video camera, another lap top, a couple pizzas because I was too lazy to cook for myself...  

:mocking:

• Like 4

sjp52
Posted
Posted

Yeah, the problem is what is needed for you may be different than what is needed for me.

Which is part of the reason the Filipinos will say that $1,000 is more than enough - because they cannot imagine spending more than that!  I just read a Facebook post saying you need a minimum of p30,000 for a 'decent' apartment.  So obviously his needs are different than mine.  And most Filipinos would not dream of spending over $600 a month on rent.    :tiphat:

Tell that to my wife.    :hystery:  :hystery:  :hystery:
  • Like 1

pokermike
Posted
Posted

I think you can live on $1,000 a month if you dont leave your condo and have no hobbies except those that cost little money like hiking or reading. To live an active exciting life style that i beleive many of us dream of when we think about going there and hooking up with a young lady is totally unrealistic. I had traveled there many times and have about a dozen freinds living there, two of them survive on a $1,000 a month and i do mean survive. The ones at the top of the chain all spend around $3,000 a month and they live good but not great. Most of them live in Subic or Angeles area.

The two that live on $1,000 a month have done what they set out to do , have a young active gf and stay alive. Back in the states they would not have a gf unless that they spent a lot of time at the senior center and probably be homeless.

Its like a contest who can live the cheapest we should be enjoying life our last few years on this earth. So my comment to those that are thinking about moving to PI and lived a pretty good life in the US , plan to spend easy $2,500 per month, bet money i am closer than living on $1,000 for the average person that goes there.  

• Like 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
To live an active exciting life style that i believe many of us dream of when we think about going there and hooking up with a young lady is totally unrealistic

I think it depends on the time of your life and your reason for moving here.  If you are 65 and retiring.  If you have a fixed income.  If you must make a choice where you will live and you have no flexibility of income.  THEN the exciting life style you mention becomes only a fantasy.  THEN 1,000 dollars a month in Philippines looks a lot better than some of the alternatives.  However, one must take into consideration the social welfare net of their home country in deciding if it is worth it.

For me, if I need expensive medical treatments then Canada will start to look a heckuva lot better than Philippines if I only have $1,000 a month.

jon1
Posted
Posted

I agree with Pokermike. $2500 is a realistic budget to live in a Western lifestyle. I live comfortably on $2000/mo. I get out routinely and ride my motorcycle quite a bit (it's not good on gas only 32mpg). I buy a mix of Western products (maybe 1/4) and local. I also did not include the cost of my rent ($220/mo) as I have a prepaid 42 year lease.

• Like 1