Where Is The Disconnect?? Filipina Is Telling Me $1K Is A Lot!!

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted

If you get the right girl she will treat you like  a king.  But for p1,000 you won't exactly live in Buckingham Palace.   :tiphat:

• Like 1

MacBubba
Posted
Posted
Looking at some insurance plans from what looks like a reputable company, at 46-50 my premiums would be around $200 a year if I were willing to be admitted to a ward or $650 a year premium for a private room for up to P3,000,000 insurance. This may not help those over 65 because it didn't look like they accept those over 65, but there are alot of men 40 to 55 who are looking to make the move.

Can you tell us more about the insurance company?  When we make the move, I will have just turned 61, but I am also curious about insurance for when I'm 65 and over.

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
Live like a king for $1k has been around for awhile, has anyone thought of adjusting it for inflation?
I'm reminded of a book I read decades ago:  Europe on $5 a day.  Can't do that anymore either.
  • Like 1

robert k
Posted
Posted

MacBubba, I was getting my information off Blue Cross' webpage. For over 65, I'm no help. I have a friend who is 72 and he tells me he can't get insurance at any price, except.... He is going to marry his girlfriend so she can add him to her Philhealth. :thumbsup:

• Like 1

MikeB
Posted
Posted

Blue Cross - Blue Royale Premier is for those 66 and older.

• Like 3

lifeasisrael
Posted
Posted

Whenever these conversations start, and they are on every Philippines or expat forum, it always seems to me to be framed ass backwards. The issue isn't what it takes to live a nice life on a fixed amount, it's what kind of life you can live on YOUR fixed amount.

You really know how to make me feel dumb sometimes...   :rolleyes:   :mocking:   This is exactly what the question - and answer - should be!

Thank you!!!

:tiphat:  :thumbsup:

Bob, lol you are so right. Me too exactly. It seemed so simple I wondered now why didn't I think of it that way when it is exactly the truth? lol. I really appreciate YOUR comment though. It's good to be able to laugh at yourself or even say that I don't know it all and that is alright. I have not commented on here since I returned from a 5 week stay in Bacolod and Siquijor back in Mid may. So much going through my mind I just am still processing it all. The experience was beyond anything good anyone can imagine could be in life. I am now making preparation to move there for good in February. *(Which if course wjy this topic is of interest to me) The only thing was a friend of mine was killed in Bacolod in a motorcycle accident in May. He was from Oklahoma, retired from American Airlines and was the one who picked me up at the airport in April for my first trip there. I really have not spoken about it until now. Anyway I too was in motorbike accident on Siquijor (why did th cat cross the road...so slowly)  but it was NOTHING to deter me from what was the best time ever. Ok well I am digressing. Anyway first post I have made since April, but your post made me laugh out loud cause it was so true and I was thinking the same thing as I read his post.

Thanks Bob.

lifeasisrael
Posted
Posted

Just some thoughts. Live like a king for $1k has been around for awhile, has anyone thought of adjusting it for inflation?

Another thing is how much you need to have on hand for a medical emergency. I believe that even with insurance you may need to have a few thousand dollars available or a credit card to get admitted to a hospital, I plan to have at least 3 months operating capital on hand at all times anyway againt banking problems. Looking at some insurance plans from what looks like a reputable company, at 46-50 my premiums would be around $200 a year if I were willing to be admitted to a ward or $650 a year premium for a private room for up to P3,000,000 insurance. This may not help those over 65 because it didn't look like they accept those over 65, but there are alot of men 40 to 55 who are looking to make the move.

There may even be a possibility of a 25% discount from that if you forgoe hopping a plane to the west or Japan where the treatment would be much more expensive. I'm not absolutely sure about the discount because it was from an old link but it sounds reasonable.

Personally going on what I have heard, I would be just as happy being treated at St. Lukes in Manila as I would at a hospital in Ft.Worth Texas.

I never like betting against myself but at a minimum of $200 a year against accident or catastrophic illness, I've laid out alot more than that on a night out. Presumably if you make it 24 hours the insurance company can start shouldering the cost.

Wow! Sure would like to know what compnay is this? I just turned 50 in March and am looking to move to Philippines in November and insurane is high upon my list after my acident there three months ago. :-)

robert k
Posted
Posted

Blue  Cross as above. :tiphat:

Thomas
Posted
Posted
To live an active exciting life style that i beleive many of us dream of when we think about going there and hooking up with a young lady is totally unrealistic.
What do you mean with "active" - FLY to tourist places and SIT in bars/restaurants?    :)

I count to much MORE ACTIVE to have hobbies as e g canoe, table tennis, small sailing boat... Such cost some to BUY, but almost NOTHING to USE. And the buy price for ok quality don't cost much either. My such cost TOTALY only around what 1/few weeks cost in a high class hotel in a popular tourist place...  (Canoe 200 USD with equipment, I don't remember what I paid for my small sailing boat, but around 400 - 500 USD. I don't have a table tennis table now, but a billiard, which I paid 150 USD for. Basketball a few dollars...   :)

Thomas
Posted
Posted

The guy with a fixed income of $5k can easily find a way to spend that $5k.

Yes, but he don't have to spend all    :)

(Back when I earned as most (when I had 70-115 employed) I did spend only a bit over 1000 USD per month normaly anyway (Amount now, old amount adjusted for inflation).)

(pokermike)

we should be enjoying life our last few years on this earth.

I plan to live 25-30 years after normal retirement age    :)     (if my injury recover enough, so I can start exersise again.)

If you get the right girl she will treat you like  a king.  But for p1,000 you won't exactly live in Buckingham Palace.   :tiphat:

:thumbsup:   Yes, an economic gf/wife can be a very good "investment", who can keep the costs down MUCH...