Tourist Loses Camera, Cash To Pickpockets In Manila/ermita

Call me bubba
Posted
Posted

as a warning to those who may travel or visit manila shortly,

just be aware that "pickpockets" and others are out there

MANILA, Philippines - Another Japanese tourist staying in Ermita, Manila

fell victim to pickpockets, police said yesterday.

Yosh&tomo Nakata, 41, told the Manila Police District’s general assignment section that three men and a woman approached him as he was in front of the Rothman Hotel Friday night

and offered him magazines.

Police Officer 3 Gilbert Isole said Nakata said that when he checked his knapsack a few minutes after the group left, his P19,000 digital camera and P8,657 cash were missing.

This was the second time in a week that a Japanese tourist fell victim to thieves.

On Wednesday night, Takuya Katsuyama, 35,

lost P440,000 to snatchers as he was walking near the intersection of Pedro Gil street and Roxas Boulevard at about 9 p.m.

At the police station, Katsuyama said there were no policemen patrolling the area.                                

http://www.philstar.com/metro/2013/11/24/1260107/japanese-tourist-loses-camera-cash-pickpockets

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
On Wednesday night, Takuya Katsuyama, 35, lost P440,000 to snatchers as he was walking near the intersection of Pedro Gil street and Roxas Boulevard at about 9 p.m.

Anywhere in the world, in a major city, why the heck would you walk around with $10,000?  I have had to do it a few times in Western countries, and I took extra precautions.  Here in PH I would avoid it completely.  When I paid for our car, I had the guy meet me in the bank.

• Like 5

robert k
Posted
Posted

Maybe the man with $10k was like me and his bank did not work well in the philippines. I was wishing I had brought more cash on my recent trip. I am sure I didn't look wealthy other than being a Kano and I only saw one person checking me out on the street. A look and a smile resolved that, But I was in Quezon City Manila, maybe it makes a difference? :)

• Like 1

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted

There are basic precautions you take anywhere to guard against pickpockets.  Doesn't always work (so far for me it has, luckily).  But leave most of the cash in your room safe - or in my case my house safe.  P440,000?!  What the hell was he doing with that much cash with him?   A camera like that would have strapped around my neck and in my hand the whole time!    :tiphat:

• Like 2

anthonytt
Posted
Posted

When I had first started researching the Philippines pickpocketing always came up.

So before my first trip I purchased a money belt where I kept my passport and $$$.

It gets strapped on the inside of your pants near your junk.

It's waterproof too, just in case of rain. Or pee yourself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 3

Lou49
Posted
Posted

I have velcro sewn into the top of my pockets, front and back. I can hear and feel the velcro open every time i go for my wallet or cell phone.

• Like 5

JJReyes
Posted
Posted (edited)
Anywhere in the world, in a major city, why the heck would you walk around with $10,000?  I have had to do it a few times in Western countries, and I took extra precautions.  Here in PH I would avoid it completely.  When I paid for our car, I had the guy meet me in the bank.

There is no way to verity if $10,000 was actually taken. Some victims report large sums taken from them. The reason is the police report is used when filing a property loss claim with their annual income tax filing. Assuming they catch the pickpocket and he states that the amount taken was actually less than $500, who would you believe? 

Yes. Don't carry excessive amounts of cash. Use a fake wallet (old identity cards and expired credit cards) with a limited amount of money. Hand it over if it is an armed robbery. If the wallet is taken by a pickpocket, the loss is limited. I keep one credit card and some cash in one pants pocket. Cash is distributed to other pockets. There should be enough for taxi money to get back home or to your hotel. Also, no expensive watches, rings, necklaces, clothes and cellular phone. I purchased and use the cheapest Nokia mobile phone. Armed robbers and pickpockets constantly scan pedestrians for high value targets. I keep a low profile.

Edited by JJReyes
  • Like 1

Pettersson
Posted
Posted

When I had first started researching the Philippines pickpocketing always came up.

So before my first trip I purchased a money belt where I kept my passport and $$$.

It gets strapped on the inside of your pants near your junk.

It's waterproof too, just in case of rain. Or pee yourself.

Can you give me a clue where to find a waterproof  money belt? I have been searching for one and it seems all I can find are some breathable fabrics.

• Like 2

JJReyes
Posted
Posted
Can you give me a clue where to find a waterproof  money belt? I have been searching for one and it seems all I can find are some breathable fabrics.

Purchase Ziplock freezer bags either the quart or sandwich size. The double seal makes the content waterproof. You then place the bag in a money belt. The breathable fabric protects your skin against perspiration irritation.  By the way, last year I sent gallon size Ziplock freezer bags to Philippine Basic Needs. The instructions was for poor families to store their important documents in the bag. Hopefully, this was done since Samar was also hit by Typhoon Yolanda.

• Like 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
There is no way to verity if $10,000 was actually taken. Some victims report large sums taken from them. The reason is the police report is used when filing a property loss claim with their annual income tax filing.

I was thinking that as well but along the lines that they never even got robbed.  There might be insurance claims involved too.

• Like 1