Tourist Loses Camera, Cash To Pickpockets In Manila/ermita

JJReyes
Posted
Posted

Yup. Some tourists are either stupid or smart. They carry cash and are robbed or they have a nice vacation and then claim a $10,000 deductible loss upon returning home.

By the way, Japanese visitors are a primary target for pickpockets all over the world. The reason is in the United States and most countries, there is a $50 limit if the card is stolen. This consumer protection was through an Act of Congress. There is no such limit under Japanese law. So the preference is to bring cash and use cash overseas.

On the same subject, I never use a debit card because there is no limit in the event of fraud. Thieves can take all the money in your checking account before you even realize the debit card number was being used by someone else. 

Still on the same subject, has anyone checked on the loss limit if the credit card was issued by a Philippine bank?

• Like 2

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
On the same subject, I never use a debit card because there is no limit in the event of fraud. Thieves can take all the money in your checking account before you even realize the debit card number was being used by someone else.    Still on the same subject, has anyone checked on the loss limit if the credit card was issued by a Philippine bank?

My US debit cards, Fidelity and Chase, are Visa debit cards.  Seems like they would have some Visa-like protections.  I'll check.  My BPI debit is not Visa or MC..

• Like 1