Trouble In North Cebu

Fred & Mimi
Posted
Posted

Just received this message from an expat that used to live in Daanbantayan before Typhoon Yolanda wrecked the house he was renting

" We are getting Panicked Phone Calls from our family and friends in North Cebu area just now. They are saying there are Armed Rebels and Escaped Prisoners from Tacloban, Leyte that have just landed by boat in Uma, Medellin. Apparently there have been some killings, looting and robberies. We can not reach anyone of authority in that area to verify if this is true or not. Communications in that area are still bad. If anyone can contact the Police in Medellin or Daanbantayan please try to verify this information and get back to me ASAP "

Don't know if anyone can help but surely this is a warning to exercise extreme caution if heading that way.

• Like 1

Guy F.
Posted
Posted

Armed prisoners and rebels together seems too farfetched to be true. Shooting etc. would not be beyond the realm of possibility.

• Like 1

MikeB
Posted
Posted

Not sure what rebels they're referring to but a truce was announced in all typhoon-affected areas yesterday, effective until xmas. I haven't seen anything in the papers about prison escapes except one article that some prisoners relocated themselves to Cebu City after being released during the storm. I would be skeptical.

http://www.sunstar.com.ph/breaking-news/2013/11/24/leftist-group-extends-truce-until-christmas-eve-typhoon-hit-areas-315345

• Like 2

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

Not sure what rebels they're referring to

It is well known throughout the world, Combats are worn by thieves, lets not think that, combat cloths mean the perpetrator is  military, real or not!! Looting and killing is to a large degree, OPPORTUNISTIC.  lets please keep this objective and realistic.  :unsure:

Mike, No slur on you Post, Just the phrase was so very useful. 

:tiphat: