Weather Patterns

AllenInWV
Posted
Posted

I kind of immediately ruled out any coastal areas as a potential retirement location, simply because I don't want to endure/recover from a typhoon. But as I look at Google Earth, it occurs to me that typhoons generally move east to west (southeast to northwest). Do the northwest sides of islands suffer from as much storm surge? I stumbled across Palawan and I'm wondering how it fares.

Volcanos, earthquakes, landslides, typhoons......a veritable cornucopia of natural disasters. LOL And I think I wanna retire there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

earthdome
Posted
Posted

While visiting Palawan I was told by a local that it is on a different tectonic plate than the rest of the Philippines and rarely has earthquakes.

I agree that the western coasts have less direct damage from winds and storm surge but they can still get heavy rain and flooding. So you don't want to live on a flood plain.

In Baguio you only get strong wind gusts from a typhoon but the heavy rain can lead to flooding and landslides. When looking for an apartment I considered landslide and flooding risk when making my choice. There are areas of Baguio that can flood but not where I live. Also you don't want to drive during very heavy rains due to landslides. There has been one death in Baguio this year from typhoons, that was from a landslide.

The other major risk is from earthquakes. You can make sure that tall heavy items in your home/apartment are secured so they don't fall on you. The other thing is to live on solid rock ground rather than fill or the type of land that liquifies during an earthquake. Land that is made up of soil that liquifies during a quake results in a great deal more damage. I think the Philippine government earthquake website has a geological map showing areas which are more susceptible to this. Finally the structure you live in. A well built single story home will be safest. I live in a new 4 story apartment building that appears to have been built to code standards, i.e. it has an actual grounded electrical system with breaker boxes.

• Like 3

Call me bubba
Posted
Posted

if you want to know more about the weather and other related issues,

1st try http://www.pagasa.dost.gov.ph/

then "search "using specific terms that suits your interests

also look at or search for  previous disasters this then can give a much better view of what could be best for you.

• Like 2

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

:cheersty: If anyone is going to dance a little. We could do with just a little rain here on Negros

post-2148-0-29236700-1386569784_thumb.jp

:tiphat:

• Like 1

northtoalaska
Posted
Posted

I wouldn't necessarily assume non-coastal locations are any safer than coastal when it comes to typhoons. You can be far inland and be flooded or have your mountainside desolve beneath your feet via a landslide as a result of typhoon associated rainfall.

• Like 2