Money Is Not Your Only Worry At Retirement

bows00
Posted
Posted

Nearing retirement, I am beginning to find out that my personal finance is just one part of the whole equation - the harder issue for me is how I will be spending all that free time.  What am I going to do there in the Philippines?  What is that one thing that will keep me motivated to wake up every morning?

Right now, I am driven by my vision to retire comfortably there so that goal drives me at my job and keeps me saving for future investments.  I am on track to retire in 2017.  But once retired, what's next?  Lounge by the pool drinking San Miguel's all day long?  You know the saying, "your either climbing or declining..."

This unexpected dilemma has redirected my plans a bit and will require some soul searching on my part to find my one true passion - and no... falling in love with a beautiful Filipina does'nt count!  And yes, I do have many hobbies, but I don't think it will be enough... hobbies and relationships cannot substitute a sense of accomplishment that is oftem provided by a job well done.  I believe it is very important to find an answer before committing to retirement and making the move there.

Any advice from fellow expats on how you handled a similar situation is greatly appreciated.

Bows00

• Like 2

JJReyes
Posted
Posted

You must find a hobby or cause you can become passionate about. It will sustain you for the rest of your life.

• Like 1

Jake
Posted
Posted

Nearing retirement, I am beginning to find out that my personal finance is just one part of the whole equation - the harder issue for me is how I will be spending all that free time.  What am I going to do there in the Philippines?  What is that one thing that will keep me motivated to wake up every morning?

Right now, I am driven by my vision to retire comfortably there so that goal drives me at my job and keeps me saving for future investments.  I am on track to retire in 2017.  But once retired, what's next?  Lounge by the pool drinking San Miguel's all day long?  You know the saying, "your either climbing or declining..."

This unexpected dilemma has redirected my plans a bit and will require some soul searching on my part to find my one true passion - and no... falling in love with a beautiful Filipina does'nt count!  And yes, I do have many hobbies, but I don't think it will be enough... hobbies and relationships cannot substitute a sense of accomplishment that is oftem provided by a job well done.  I believe it is very important to find an answer before committing to retirement and making the move there.

Any advice from fellow expats on how you handled a similar situation is greatly appreciated.

Bows00

Hello Bows,

Do I sense a slight disappointment that you will leave the rat race without your peers' respect or perhaps a lack of

accomplishment or self satisfaction?  Could it be a combination of island fever (Hawaii) that you have been there

and done that and don't have enough energy or passion to pursue any activities because it became all so boring?

I think we should address Bows situation by asking a couple questions: are you really going to completely retire?

Will your pension support you sufficiently and long term?  I know the word retirement is like the doctor saying you

have an illness and you have 20-30 years before you kick the bucket.  

I tell you what, my friend....I would rather kick coconuts down the beach and go out watching the sunset through an

empty San Magoo bottle.  Of course you could very well do that in Hawaii but having a warm companion by your

side, the sunsets as well as the sunrises in the Philippines will ignite or re-ignite the romantic fire within you.  

Perhaps if you could blend retirement with romance(s), your heart and well being will give you another chance to

redeem yourself from that dreaded lack of life's purpose.   

Respectfully -- Jake

PS -- regarding Dave's comments, primal instincts among the naked natives is also good for the heart.  

Good one Dave!

• Like 3

jpbago
Posted
Posted

Start a campaign to eradicate corruption in the Philippines. It will keep you occupied for the rest of your life.

• Like 5

BrettGC
Posted
Posted (edited)

Well I'm a social worker so plan on utilising those skills there to some extent;  The job I did have there under AusAid is now gone thanks to the new government here.   I've never been out of work more than a couple of days in that profession anywhere, can't imagine it being any different once I'm legal to work there, even if it is paid as a local, one of the reasons I'm going so hard learning Cebuano.  Add to that I'm a passionate permaculturist, so have big plans for the lots adjacent to our house.  I'm also a keen scuba diver, no shortage of that in most of PI.  Sense of achievement?  Ever seen "The Big Labowski"?  His biggest problem in life (before the events in that excellent movie) is his bowling score, I want to be in that place; not necessarily with bowling, but you get what I mean.  Being happy, relaxing, still caring about things but not to the point of obsession.  San Migs, or home brewed cider on our balcony, overlooking the beach with SAO of an evening, and maybe kicking a few of those coconuts around ;) that's my achievement. 

As to Dave's comment.... How many condoms does Tuka go through a month???

PS is it legal to distill in PI?  I have plans in that direction too :D

Edited by BrettGC
  • Like 2

JJReyes
Posted
Posted
Start a campaign to eradicate corruption in the Philippines. It will keep you occupied for the rest of your life.

Or get shot.

• Like 2

Mike S
Posted
Posted

Some people can never retire and some die within a year or two of their retirement as they don't seem to get away from the institutionalized way of living .... you know .... get up at a certain time .... go to work .... take your breaks and lunch at a certain time ... come home and get ready to do the same thing all over again the next day .... some can never just learn to relax and enjoy the last years of their life with the same delight that you enjoyed the first few years of their life ....

JMHO ..... but if you need to stay busy every minute of every day being productive you aren't ready to be retired and you are better off staying on you job and work till you are ready to take life easy and enjoy a total retirement ....

"your either climbing or declining..."

If you truly believe that statement than you are better off working ...... the day I stepped on the plane for my journey to the Philippines .... 3 weeks after I resigned from my job I was fully and totally retired .....

So what do I do .... we live a pretty boring life for some folks .... I do woodworking and building stuff with out power tools (OK I do use 1 battery powered drill ...  :mocking: ) .... I spend time on the internet ....  I enjoy playing PC games to keep my mind and reflexes sharp ..... we go shopping 2-3 or more times a week .... visit the folks down south .... do some gardening ..... and basically pretty much what ever I want when ever I want with out having to conform to someone else's time table .... I get up when I want ..... go to bed when I want eat when I want and take a nap when I want ..... I just wish I could have done this 20 years ago ..... :hystery: :hystery: :hystery:  .....

Oh and by the way I loved my old job of being a hands on industrial mechanical maintenance supervisor for one of the largest dairy and beverage packaging plants in the state of Florida with never a dull moment anytime ....

Retirement is how you make it .... it can be as simple or as complicated as you want it to be .... for me I like the K..I..S..S theory ..... Keep It Simple Stupid .... seems to work for me .... JMHO ..... :t07022:

:cheersty:

• Like 3

Thomas
Posted
Posted
You know the saying, "your either climbing or declining..."
No, I hadn't heared that, but I suppouse it come from someone, who count everything in only money and/or power...   :)
falling in love with a beautiful Filipina does'nt count!
Why??? :) It's much MORE importamt than money (as long as having enough to leave decent). Look at many POOR people. Many of them are HAPPY, while many rich are not...
And yes, I do have many hobbies, but I don't think it will be enough... hobbies and relationships cannot substitute a sense of accomplishment that is oftem provided by a job well done.
Well. PERHAPS if you have a very IMPORTANT job as e g surgent, firefighter, kindergardenteacher, but realy NOT for almost all jobs...

Why can't you find it enough to occupy yourself with hobbies, when you are RETIRED??...  :)

(My father said he wondered how he had enough time BEFORE he retired, not finding he has enough time only for his relations and hobbies now...   :)       (E g he play guitar in music band, exersice dogs (behaving) and compete at high level in quests and boule.)

Even if I would become over 100 years old, I will not have enough time to all I want to do...    :)

If you don't find any of your hobbies enough satisfying, you can do some type of VOLONTARY work.

(I have done much such as youth leader in sports and some economical in Help-to-selfhelp projects.)

But look up!  I believe some such need work permit in RP.

bows00
Posted
Posted

I must be getting old... never thought I would ever care about having a sense of purpose... there are so many things that money cannot buy...

• Like 1